Author Topic: U2 SHOULD TOUR WITH ENO AND LANOIS  (Read 6994 times)

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
Re: U2 SHOULD TOUR WITH ENO AND LANOIS
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2009, 08:35:21 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Singles sales are tiny in comparison to albums, they're not exactly saving a lot of money by doing this, assuming of course that's the reason they are chosen that way, which you have not one shred of evidence to suggest is the case.

Single sales may be tiny, but if the song hits it big it can be used in movie soundtracks and television commercials.  The equipment used to make the song can even be used in guitar, bass, and drum magazines.

I just want to clarify that this is not a knock on Eno and Lanois.  They are after all the masterminds who produced U2's masterpieces and were not part of the POP carnage.  They are great producers - but always keep in mind the word producers.  As songwriters as they pertain to U2, it still remains to be seen until we have all heard the album and the sales will speak for it.

Some of my detractors will contradict me just for the sake of saying something opposite of what I say.  But deep down in their hearts they all know that U2 will never hire Eno and Lanois to tour with them.  They also know that the first single has no Eno/Lanois songwriting credits.

My guess about the second single not being co-wrote by Eno and Lanois is pure speculation, I will admit that.  But I predict when the smoke would have cleared, my prediction would have been right.  We will know in a few days anyway when the album comes out and which songs have those co-writing credits.

Cheers,

J

Your legs must be tired from constantly jumping on both sides of the fence in this discussion.

lol!

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2009, 07:05:04 AM »
So after seeing the disastrous lyrics Eno has contributed to U2 and all the songwriting and lyric credits he shared with them, do you still think Eno deserves a supporting backstage role to be on U2's tour?

Cheers,

J

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2009, 08:50:01 AM »
So after seeing the disastrous lyrics Eno has contributed to U2 and all the songwriting and lyric credits he shared with them, do you still think Eno deserves a supporting backstage role to be on U2's tour?

Cheers,

J

Eno and Lanois have been co-writing with them for many years, I read somewhere they were quite miffed for example in not getting credits on JT, and if you watch the making of JT DVD you'll see how huge an input they had.

They are both excellent musicians, the songs they get credits for on the album are the best ones, so yes, absolutely if U2 wants them I 'd love to see them.

100% correct.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2009, 09:06:51 AM »
I guess we just all need to hear Eno sing "Force Quit And Move To Trash" on this tour, because a pre-recorded vocal won't just cut it.  Maybe U2 might actually consider bringing in Eno to help sing that part as he did in the album.

Cheers,

J

Offline hawthorn mccadden

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2009, 09:12:16 AM »
Eno is a legend. I say bring him along. It would be fun. It would be something new. Hell, bring Danny, too. That guy can PLAY.

Offline wrldchamps04

• Numb
  • ^^rock n roll perfection^^
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2009, 09:53:47 AM »
I'd Love to see it but would Eno enjoy a full U2 tour at 61 years old? I mean not everybody can be Mick and Keith! And I mean that in a good, no great way!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 10:11:13 AM by wrldchamps04 »

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2009, 10:09:27 AM »
Would Eno enjoy a full U2 tour at 61 years old? I mean not everybody can be Mick and Keith! And I mean that in a good, no great way!

No...he's coming. No say in the matter. Eno can relax infront of his keyboard and a mic...he'll be fine.  :D

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2009, 10:28:34 AM »
Would Eno enjoy a full U2 tour at 61 years old? I mean not everybody can be Mick and Keith! And I mean that in a good, no great way!

No...he's coming. No say in the matter. Eno can relax infront of his keyboard and a mic...he'll be fine.  :D

Andy Summers was over 60 when The Police did their reunion tour.

As for Eno, it won't be as taxing since he can be sitting down backstage while doing his backing vocals and synth parts.

Cheers,

J

Offline wrldchamps04

• Numb
  • ^^rock n roll perfection^^
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2009, 10:40:55 AM »
While I agree it would be easier for him, somehow I don't think he'd want to sit backstage and do his vocals etc.....like an extra in a movie. Either on stage or stay home....

jimyjazz

« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2009, 02:43:00 PM »
It would be awesome.  Too bad Eno doesn't tour.  Lanois should go though - he and edge could have some cool interplay and they could get rid of that ridiculous piped in karaoke music that they play along with.  Lanois would make them step it up too, since he's a better player than any of them by a long shot. They should bring a keyboard player too.

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2009, 02:48:46 PM »
It would be awesome.  Too bad Eno doesn't tour.  Lanois should go though - he and edge could have some cool interplay and they could get rid of that ridiculous piped in karaoke music that they play along with.  Lanois would make them step it up too, since he's a better player than any of them by a long shot. They should bring a keyboard player too.

Well said. And humorous: "they could get rid of that ridiculous piped in karaoke music that they play along with".  :D

Actually, I think they do already tour with a "behind the curtain" keyboardist...there was a big article about him on the @U2 Home Page a week or two ago. :-\

I would love to see your so-called "Danny and Edge interplay"...that would be cool.

jimyjazz

« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2009, 07:48:30 AM »
I try to forget that they have someone playing from mission control (as they call it)...it's too weird!  Bring the guy on stage!

Offline sceptic prophet

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2009, 09:12:56 AM »

Terry Lawless plays keyboards throughout the album and will be touring with U2. That's perhaps the only extra-musician who'll be on stage with them...

Offline Yukona [The League of Extraordinary Bonopeople]

• Staring at the Sun
  • too much is not enough
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2009, 11:07:38 AM »
I'll stay away from the debate about Eno and Lanois' worthiness or competence at playing live and just point out that if Eno and Lanois were to commit to the tour, that would mean committing themselves exclusively to U2 for the better part of 3 years. Much as they enjoy working together, Eno and Lanois are not a part of U2. That's not a knock on them, it's simply a recognition of the fact that both producers also enjoy and work with other bands as well.

I'll use an analogy. A married couple will usually make love to each other exclusively. Occasionally to spice things up, they might invite someone into the bedroom for a threesome. Things would get very different, however, if the third party was invited to be a permanent member of the marriage.

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2009, 01:40:55 PM »
Wow yukona that's quite a comparison there. Good one too!

I am a big Lanois fan, but having him with U2 for the whole length of the tour would be too much for both, I think.