Author Topic: U2 SHOULD TOUR WITH ENO AND LANOIS  (Read 6997 times)

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
Re: U2 SHOULD TOUR WITH ENO AND LANOIS
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2009, 09:05:13 AM »
Well, now that the tour has already started - do you all still think U2 would have been better off with Eno and Lanois touring with them?  I think the tour is just fine now the way it is, and whatever Eno and Lanois could play is not something Terry Lawless can't do.

Cheers,

J

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #61 on: July 10, 2009, 09:58:32 AM »
you have a point. Certainly on MOS and Unknown Caller!! How Fun would that be!? LOL, I'd like to see ENO try and Dance to "Crazy".

Offline Nielsen

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The Edge is on fire
« Reply #62 on: July 10, 2009, 11:30:15 AM »
Eno + Dance = failed equation  :D

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #63 on: July 10, 2009, 11:49:22 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Eno + Dance = failed equation  :D

yeah.really! LOL. About as successful as Mr. Smithers from the Simpsons.  :D  Yeah, I think U2 should open it up. What I'm finding is that songs like MOS, and Unknown Caller are so layered. There's a lot going on especially with Keyboard, Organ, and atmosphere pads. Edge is doing all he can put until he can play with his toes he's not going to get everything out of these songs.

MOS & UC deserve a fuller richer sound. A lot of U2 songs you can go bare bones and they are still great. A song like Stuck In A Moment is a perfect example that when paired down with just guitar and Bono/Edge singing it reveals itself as one of the best songs they've ever written. But these 2 new songs are something different. It's clear it was written and performed as a 6-piece. All those harmonies, and the instrumentation can't be done by 4 guys unless Bono can play guitar or keyboard and Larry and adam can also sing. Or, you've got to program/sequence in the other harmonies and keyboard parts. Of course, everybody does it to a degree...just get some talented dude to play/sing underneath the stage with headphones, microphone, etc. It's got to be fuller!

But I wouldn't be surprised if ENO/LANOIS make a guest appearance at 1 performance. And i think it would be monumental.

Offline nolinehere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #64 on: July 10, 2009, 07:49:55 PM »
yes

the average musicianship quality and talent level on stage would increase dramatically

Offline silverbad

• Stateless
  • see the future just hanging there...
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2009, 08:50:19 AM »
no.
its u2 not u2+2 :-X

Offline nolinehere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2009, 09:32:49 AM »
no.

many major bands have toured with extra musicians as their music got more complex

REM, Stones, Floyd, Foo Fighters etc.

no one ever says it's REM + 3

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2009, 10:46:41 AM »
One of the reasons why U2 have been more successful than other bands is that they have managed to maintain their "image" and "branding" by never cheapening themselves and allowing non-members to join them onstage on a regular basis.

When this thread was started many months ago, and I remarked that should Eno and Lanois join they should just be backstage - it was met with negative reactions.  Now, with U2 embarking on a successful tour with nothing but just the four of them onstage as always - I guess it is a case of "see I told you so!" - just like in my speculations as to what albums they will avoid playing live on this tour.

Cheers,

J

Offline JoshuaTree94

• Deep In the Heart
  • You bury your treasure where it can't be found
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2009, 07:23:19 PM »
no.

many major bands have toured with extra musicians as their music got more complex

I agree. Rem sounds great with those extra musicians. Fleetwood Mac has a wonderful bunch or additional players less prominent on stage, but they still contribute greatly to the sound, especially percussionist Taku Hirano, who is a master in his own right.

Offline Mr. BonorFLYd

• Child of Grace
  • Music you can eat!
« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2009, 08:46:03 AM »
most people love and respect ENO & LANOIS..no matter what type of music you typically listen to..most people agree and respect these guys. i think it would be really fun!

Offline wrldchamps04

• Numb
  • ^^rock n roll perfection^^
« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2009, 11:22:17 AM »
no.

I agree. Rem sounds great with those extra musicians. Fleetwood Mac has a wonderful bunch or additional players less prominent on stage, but they still contribute greatly to the sound, especially percussionist Taku Hirano, who is a master in his own right.
I'm a huge Stones fan.....they started truly adding backing vocalists etc. with the Steel Wheels Tour and it didn't bother me at all........I'd rather a band have actual background vocalists than background "tracks", even though lots of acts do it.......I say bring on Eno/Lanois and background vocals!

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
« Reply #71 on: July 14, 2009, 05:20:07 PM »
Eno and Lanois joining U2 on tour- on stage? This would be my idea of what hell might be like.

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2009, 10:47:35 PM »
I'd love it!  :)

Offline Mirai

• Babyface
« Reply #73 on: July 18, 2009, 02:25:06 AM »
The big problem with this concept? U2 aren't mutually exclusive to Eno and Lanois. sh**, let's get Flood and Howie B up there. Steve Lillywhite too, why not? Rick Rubin? It's a party! What's Jimmy Iovine up to?

U2 are U2 because they've worked with a variety of producers over the years. They haven't worked with the same production team for more than one album at a time since The Joshua Tree. That's why they've always moved forward.

Offline highway190

• Refugee
  • Not telling you where the J Tree is.
« Reply #74 on: July 18, 2009, 09:58:29 AM »
Yeah it bugs me they keep the "extras" under the stage. Get over yourselves bring them up, or trigger all the stuff yourself.