Author Topic: U2 Vinyl  (Read 6618 times)

Offline AJ

• Elevated
  • Vinyl Guru
U2 Vinyl
« on: November 26, 2012, 07:04:43 PM »
Why is all the U2 vinyl from year 2000+ so limited? You can't get a copy of HTDAAB or ATYCLB for under $250 and NLOTH is rising in price

marvgadgie

Re: U2 Vinyl
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 12:19:50 AM »
Because during the early 00's vinyl was only a very niche market, unlike today where it is very popular gain. Not many were pressed or bought as everyone was convinced "vinyl was dead" and CD's were the way forward. Hence bog standard releases are pretty scarce compared to say the 80's or 90's when people still bought records in big numbers.
Best of 1980-1990 can go for around 150+
Best of 1990-2000 fetches about 90-120
All That ... goes for at least 150
Atomic Bomb varies but I've seen it for anything between 50 and 100
Crazy isn't it? You could probably pick the lot up on CD for less than a fiver!

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 03:41:50 AM »
I have been looking for ATYCLB and HTDAAB for so long now, I've nearly given up hope. I do own NLOTH though, it's so awesome on record. I also own AB (the anniversary and original) Zooropa (which I suspect is a fake as there's no siren at the end) JT (original) Pop (so happy to have this one). Now I need War, TUF, October, Boy and Rattle and Hum. I only go for pristine vinyl so it may take some time....Anyone own all that you can't?

Offline AJ

• Elevated
  • Vinyl Guru
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 08:12:42 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have been looking for ATYCLB and HTDAAB for so long now, I've nearly given up hope. I do own NLOTH though, it's so awesome on record. I also own AB (the anniversary and original) Zooropa (which I suspect is a fake as there's no siren at the end) JT (original) Pop (so happy to have this one). Now I need War, TUF, October, Boy and Rattle and Hum. I only go for pristine vinyl so it may take some time....Anyone own all that you can't?
ATYCLB and HTDAAB are not hard to find on the internet, just very expensive. I hope U2 will rerelease these albums that are sorta missing on vinyl

smee

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 09:09:30 AM »

You can pick up nice copies of the vinyl you need for a FRACTION of the price of the u2 vinyl you already own.

I had mostly ALL u2 vinyl, up to and including the release of HMTMKMKM, but it lay at my mum and dads house from 1990ish till only this year. When i went to reclaim it, i couldnt find my u2 stuff...and a few other albums i really wanted in my collection. So gutted!!

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 09:32:11 AM »
I'm in the same boat. I have NLOTH, TJT, Boy (first edition US pressing), WAIE, and War (although I don't listen to that one since it's signed by Bono). Finding them for a reasonable price can be tricky, which is why I'm not dead set on having their whole discography on vinyl. If I find them for a good price then it's a no-brainer; once they hit a certain limit I just walk away. Best of luck!

Offline ABloodRedSky

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • We're sorry, we're closed for lunch.
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 03:35:58 PM »
I've picked up most of their 80s albums on vinyl for less than $10 at thrift shops. But yeah, the recent ones are phenomenally difficult to find. The most recent one I have is Zooropa on blue vinyl which I picked up in Belgium for 18. Even that was a bit much for me. :D

Offline jc619er

• Numb
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 04:26:52 PM »
I'm right there with you. I'd love to get all their 2000's albums on vinyl but it's just too costly and I don't see that going down any time soon. So hopefully one of these days I'll just magically stumble across them for something not too horrendous, but who knows. For now I'll stick with all their 80's stuff that I have on vinyl. I still need Zooropa and Pop which won't be an easy feat either.

Offline AJ

• Elevated
  • Vinyl Guru
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 06:21:44 PM »
I found Zooropa and Pop on Discogs.com and anything from the 80s I have or can get really easy.
One time I ordered Desire 7" from amazon in like new condition and there was a crack that almost split the vinyl clean in half :o and now I'm nervous to buy vinyl on the internet even though I did get refunded

smee

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 08:55:34 AM »
I found Zooropa and Pop on Discogs.com and anything from the 80s I have or can get really easy.
One time I ordered Desire 7" from amazon in like new condition and there was a crack that almost split the vinyl clean in half :o and now I'm nervous to buy vinyl on the internet even though I did get refunded
I wouldnt let that put you off buying online. That was just a real unfortunate occurence. I think 80% of the time, the vinyl will be as described

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 07:15:06 PM »
I have War, TUF, TJT, Rattle and Hum, Desire promo single 33', The Fly 33' single, and WAIE. I would love to get the 90s albums on vinyl but they're hard to find and very pricey. I don't care that much about owning the 00's albums but I would like to have NLOTH, especially knowing that it was readily available when it came out.

Offline achtungjoshua

• Wanderer
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 07:10:33 PM »
I am a self-confessed U2 collector and have the following on vinyl:-

7" singles
----------
- U2 Three (red vinyl)
- 11 O'Clock Tick Tock
- I Will Follow
- Fire
- Interview picture disc (Bono 1/3/83 in Newcastle)
- The Unforgettable Fire
- Interview picture disc (1987)
- With Or Without You
- In God's Country (US import)
- Desire (gatefold sleeve)
- Angel of Harlem
- The Fly
- Mysterious Ways
- One
- Even better than the real thing
- Who's gonna ride your wild horses?
- Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
- Soon
- Get on your boots
- Magnificent
- I'll go crazy if I don't go crazy tonight

12" singles
-----------
- New Year's Day
- Pride
- With Or Without You
- I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
- Where The Streets Have No Name
- Press Conference, Gothenburg 1987 (Bono picture disc)
- Desire (German - gatefold sleeve)
- Angel Of Harlem
- When Love Comes To Town
- Discotheque (triple pack, coloured inner sleeves)

LPs / EPs
--------
- Driving To Midnight Mass (1979 promo only)
- McGonagle's, Dublin 1979 (live, soundboard recording)
- Boy
- Boy (US - 'stretched faces' cover)
- Boy (remastered 180gm)
- October (remastered 180gm)
- War (gatefold sleeve)
- War (Dutch remastered 180gm)
- Under A Blood Red Sky
- The Unforgettable Fire (Argentinian)
- Wide Awake In America
- The Joshua Tree
- Rattle & Hum
- Achtung Baby (remastered 180gm)
- Zooropa (orange vinyl)
- Artificial Horizon
- U218 Singles
- 360 tour, Munich (gatefold sleeve, red vinyl).

As per some of the comments from others I am also on the lookout for the vinyl albums from ATYCLB onwards, although I did pick up a brand new copy of U218 Singles for 25 at a record fair at Olympia in London 2 weeks ago.

A good site to try is eil.com, who have been around for years and, whilst slightly expensive for some items, often have sales on - so I tend to wait for those and then snap up another vinyl. Their Customer Service is excellent, plus quick delivery times. They are based in Kent in the UK, so for those of you in the US the postage costs would need carefully looking at before you buy from them. For those of you really interested in vinyl in general (I only collect U2 by the way, not other bands) it is worth investigating 'Record Collector' magazine and potentially taking out a subscription - and back issues are available on their website (and on that well-known auction site beginning with e...!).

Offline vertigofly40

• Wanderer
  • The world turns and we get dizzy
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 07:47:07 PM »
I am really hoping that they eventually re-release POP on vinyl much like they have been doing with their back catalog.   

Offline JonD

• Stateless
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 10:00:47 PM »
I also like to collect U2 (and other specific bands) vinyl.  I have every original U2 album from Boy to NLOTH except for Zooropa- I've never even seen it for sale.  For whatever reason I always ordered all of U2s 2000's albums on vinyl- even before I obtained a turntable (my wife used to laugh at that ;-)) but I did not know they were valuable until recently.  I also have most of the 1980s and 1990s singles too (recently found the U2 PAC with U2-3, I will follow... At a used record store in fair shape.

My biggest vinyl regret is not buying passengers for $20 only to find that it had sold by the time I had changed my mind.  Live and learn I guess!

Jon

Offline AJ

• Elevated
  • Vinyl Guru
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 10:04:44 PM »
My problem was I wasn't old enough to be into U2 when ATYCLB and HTDAAB came out :(