Author Topic: U2 vs Radiohead  (Read 24912 times)

Offline charlottes_mouth

• Wanderer
U2 vs Radiohead
« on: December 02, 2012, 02:36:36 AM »
We've had our comedy threads (U2 vs Bieber, U2 vs Bon Jovi), our slightly more serious thread (U2 vs Coldplay) but how how about a proper battle of talents: U2 vs Radiohead.

Of course for my money Radiohead wipe the floor with U2 with their emotional intelligence, subtlety (something U2 have never been accused of) and all round cleverness (something U2 only seem to find from outside sources ie Eno). They are also contrary fellows who at the height of their powers refuse to pander to the lowest common denominator (something you can't say about U2 anymore). They are also a superior live act. I caught them two nights in a row at the O2 in London recently. Check out this outstandingly beautiful version of Nude:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
Re: U2 vs Radiohead
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 04:12:27 AM »
At their respective peaks, U2 wins. But for the last decade-plus, Radiohead makes U2 look like domesticated, greedy, whoring-for-attention tossers.

Offline charlottes_mouth

• Wanderer
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 04:34:54 AM »
At their respective peaks, U2 wins. But for the last decade-plus, Radiohead makes U2 look like domesticated, greedy, whoring-for-attention tossers.

Totally agree with the last sentence. In terms of their respective peaks, only ZOOTV trumps Radiohead in terms of creativity IMO. Although that was as much to do with the concept of the tour as it was the record they were touring. And U2 at their peak were more of a celebrity 'phenomenon'.

In purely musical terms Radiohead trump U2 - they're just more creative and make more interesting sounding records. U2 are a fairly pedestrian band musically although Zooropa did a pretty good job of pushing their boundaries.

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 06:03:01 AM »
i loved radiohead in the 90s creep fadeout  and so on great great music.. but for some reason i just dont like their recent stuff.. what i see about radiohead over the years is that they are the closest thing in music to marmite people i hear talk about them either hate or love them and of coarse they have never hit the stratosphere in the same way u2 have so just like coldplay i sill dont think they compare.. for me you can only compare u2 to zeppelin or the stones or  floyd or the beatles as those bands operate at a different level in terms of exposure and musical longevity as an artical in rolling stone once c alled u2 the last of the mega bands and i agree with that statement .. lets face it i dont see coldplay radiohead or anyone around today who will be playing a 7 million+ tour 30years into their existence .. so thats why i dont think u can compare regardless of anyones personal taste about who does or did a better live show

Offline charlottes_mouth

• Wanderer
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 06:27:34 AM »
i loved radiohead in the 90s creep fadeout  and so on great great music.. but for some reason i just dont like their recent stuff.. what i see about radiohead over the years is that they are the closest thing in music to marmite people i hear talk about them either hate or love them and of coarse they have never hit the stratosphere in the same way u2 have so just like coldplay i sill dont think they compare.. for me you can only compare u2 to zeppelin or the stones or  floyd or the beatles as those bands operate at a different level in terms of exposure and musical longevity as an artical in rolling stone once c alled u2 the last of the mega bands and i agree with that statement .. lets face it i dont see coldplay radiohead or anyone around today who will be playing a 7 million+ tour 30years into their existence .. so thats why i dont think u can compare regardless of anyones personal taste about who does or did a better live show

I see what you mean in terms of legacy - U2 are part of rock 'royalty' and I doubt Radiohead will ever become that. Therein lies the problem though. Zeppelin split up years ago and made a handful of excellent albums. Floyd stopped making great albums years ago and have split up. Only the Stones from your list are still touring/recording and let's face it, they haven't made a great record since the 70's. And although U2 are still recording, I think the general consensus is their best work is some way behind them.

Radiohead are becoming more creative and exciting not less so. I think the general consensus is they make more interesting records than U2 although they will never reach 'super group' level partly because they're not interested and partly because their music isn't populist enough.

Offline TheU2Ken

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • To tell the truth, this could be the last time
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 08:11:16 AM »
U2

Radio****

Offline charlottes_mouth

• Wanderer
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 08:25:22 AM »
U2

Radio****

I think you're confused young man

Offline TheU2Ken

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 08:28:24 AM »
U2

Radio****

not at all

Offline charlottes_mouth

• Wanderer
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 08:29:17 AM »
U2

Radio****

not at all

You're certainly in the minority

Offline TheU2Ken

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 08:33:03 AM »
U2

Radio****

not at all

You're certainly in the minority
sorry Prom

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 08:35:58 AM »
It's okay, Ken. I don't much care for Radiohead either. I don't find their music enjoyable to listen to, and they're responsible for one of the very worst albums I've ever heard in my life (Kid A).

Offline TheU2Ken

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 08:36:57 AM »
It's okay, Ken. I don't much care for Radiohead either. I don't find their music enjoyable to listen to, and they're responsible for one of the very worst albums I've ever heard in my life (Kid A).
thanks Droo

their music is depressing

Offline charlottes_mouth

• Wanderer
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2012, 08:37:12 AM »

Is it your contention that U2 make better music Drooropa?

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 08:47:05 AM »
I'm saying that Radiohead may technically be better musicians than U2, but in terms of enjoyability U2 beats them. To me, Radiohead is for the musically pretentious crowd who want to sit around coffee shops in skinny jeans and wool scarves talking about how post-modern their chord changes and lyrics are. Which is fine, if you're into that sort of thing. Me, all I want is a song I can connect to that moves me or that is enjoyable to listen to. Radiohead fails on both counts.

Offline charlottes_mouth

• Wanderer
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2012, 08:47:57 AM »
I'm saying that Radiohead may technically be better musicians than U2, but in terms of enjoyability U2 beats them. To me, Radiohead is for the musically pretentious crowd who want to sit around coffee shops in skinny jeans and wool scarves talking about how post-modern their chord changes and lyrics are. Which is fine, if you're into that sort of thing. Me, all I want is a song I can connect to that moves me or that is enjoyable to listen to. Radiohead fails on both counts.

Fair enough - guess I must be one of those pretentious chaps then  :-\