Author Topic: U2 vs Radiohead  (Read 25079 times)

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
Re: U2 vs Radiohead
« Reply #135 on: October 27, 2014, 10:33:25 AM »
How is this being dragged up now?

At any rate, I always felt that Radiohead sort of picked up where U2 left off in the mid/late-90's.  Zooropa and Passengers sort of led into OK Computer and Kid A.

Offline satellitedog

• Child of Grace
« Reply #136 on: October 27, 2014, 10:43:12 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Radiohead are joyless muck.
Their singer is a miserable dwarf with absolutely nothing to say.

Unlike you, as it turns out.

Offline keirdubois

• Refugee
  • Designer-Wordsmith-Rockstar.
Re: Please with the u2 vs radiohead vs coldplay
« Reply #137 on: October 27, 2014, 11:15:40 AM »
ill never understand the Coldplay is ripping off Radiohead! arguments. The u2 rip off thing, maybe, with VLV only, but Rh? They both play the piano on some songs. End of comparisons.

Coldplay wouldn't exist without "High and Dry."

Offline guitarmart

• Wanderer
« Reply #138 on: October 27, 2014, 12:07:55 PM »
    Amen
Personally I find Kid a and In Rainbows far more interesting than anything U2 or Coldplay have done in the past 15 years.

And Yorke can't sing? Really? Bono has praised Yorke's singing voice.

Offline BalconyTV

• Numb
« Reply #139 on: October 27, 2014, 12:09:33 PM »
Battle of the band arguments are so ridiculous.

But for the sake of debate...

Radiohead are much more authentic musicians than U2 right now (whether you like them or not) as they spend most of their time making music. They do it for themselves, and don't try cater to audience. Because they have done it so much, they have experimented a lot.

Coldplay are a rock solid band, but suffer from a degree of the blandness that U2 have suffered with over the years and even now.

In saying that I prefer U2 over both of them, because U2 just speak to me more.

So I guess I'm saying, I wish U2 were as dedicated as Radiohead are.

But totally get why someone would prefer Radiohead over U2.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 02:24:26 PM by BalconyTV »

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #140 on: October 27, 2014, 12:24:33 PM »

lol

Dude, if you really think Stone Temple Pilots were a "one-hit wonder" band...hahaha, just wow.

well i mean...Creep, Plush, Big Empty, Vasoline, Interstate Love Song, Lady Picture Show, Big Bang Baby, Trippin On A Hole..., Down.  Those are all 1 song right?

nah. you're right. dozens of hits. i love STP.

I get not LOVING the last 2 <or 3 i guess> Radioheads, but...Bends , OKC, Kid A...i mean...he's got something to say in those. His solo albums yea not alot to say, or maybe i just can't understand his mummbling non-chorus-having songs.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #141 on: October 27, 2014, 12:25:19 PM »
ill never understand the Coldplay is ripping off Radiohead! arguments. The u2 rip off thing, maybe, with VLV only, but Rh? They both play the piano on some songs. End of comparisons.

care to elaborate? you're saying Yellow was a rip off of H&D?

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #142 on: October 27, 2014, 12:26:01 PM »
Regarding Radiohead, it's not an apples-to apples comparison since they never pined after fame the way U2 has done (or made music that deliberately appealed to people, at least not in a while). Coldplay on the other hand....

I love Radiohead, but for completely different reasons than why I love U2.

This.

Its totally ok to love both bands you know. To all those Radiohead haters, get a grip when saying they are **** just because you don't happen to like their music.

Yea...or only heard "Creep" and are now an expert on Radiohead...

Offline RathfarnhamU2Fan

• Stateless
« Reply #143 on: October 27, 2014, 12:33:27 PM »

No need to be a t**t.Cheers!

Edgedisciple

« Reply #144 on: October 27, 2014, 12:46:34 PM »
Rip-off is a strong word, I would say heavy influence. You can hear a heavy U2 influence guitar-wise on every Coldplay album. Chris Martin channels Bono very often with his melodies. It gets on my nerves that Coldplay have gazillions of fans and more than half of them don't bother to go to listen to their main influence or don't even know that without U2 there wouldn't be Coldplay, but oh well... U2's influence on Radiohead is much more subtle, but there is. Everyone of them is a fan.

Offline Flying_Leg_Kick

• Stateless
« Reply #145 on: October 27, 2014, 01:11:19 PM »
At any rate, I always felt that Radiohead sort of picked up where U2 left off in the mid/late-90's.  Zooropa and Passengers sort of led into OK Computer and Kid A.

If there was such a hand-off, I think it's OS1 to The Bends, even though OS1 happened after Bends.  They both sound dated in places.  U2 reeled itself in after that, though Pop is by no means safe, while Radiohead let themselves go.

I find myself respecting Radiohead more than U2 these days because of how they chose to "take a journey" with their music.  I really wish U2 weren't so afraid of failure to take the kind of risks Radiohead didn't seem to mind making and taking over and over again.  Radiohead, from The Bends onward...it seems like a logical, honest progression.  U2, really, could have been on their own way after Zooropa and into OS1, but the labels put that to a halt.  And, sadly, now the band looks back on the 90's with a lot of "self indulgent" peppered into their memories.  Guys...there was nothing wrong with it.

1995...probably the gateway year between what used to be and what was to come.

Edgedisciple

« Reply #146 on: October 27, 2014, 01:28:21 PM »
I've always felt that Radiohead went too far after Kid A and Amnesiac, becoming self-indulgent and experimental just for the sake of it. Thom Yorke is carrying on the tradition from what I've heard. I'm a fan of their records till Amnesiac. The rest is not for me.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #147 on: October 27, 2014, 01:53:51 PM »
radiohead or coldplay have never ,ever reached the heights of u2 and never will. Enough said.

Never liked Radiohead, I just can't get past Yorke's vocals.  I never understood the U2 comparisons from Coldplay either. 

This is my problem too. Yorke's vocals are so thin and tinny, especially when he gets up high, and there is rarely any weight behind his studio work. I have to turn it off. However, I will say that Myxomatosis is an absolutely brilliant song.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
« Reply #148 on: October 27, 2014, 01:54:54 PM »

I always was amazed they didn't get more crap for ripping off Jeff Buckley, especially on their first two albums.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
« Reply #149 on: October 27, 2014, 01:58:36 PM »
Battle of the band arguments are so ridiculous.

But for the sake of debate...

Radiohead are much more authentic musicians than U2 right now (whether you like them or not) as they spend most of their timing making music. They do it for themselves, and don't try cater to audience. Because they have done it so much, they have experimented a lot.

Coldplay are a rock solid band, but suffer from a degree of the blandness that U2 have suffered with over the years and even now.

In saying that I prefer U2 over both of them, because U2 just speak to me more.

So I guess I'm saying, I wish U2 were as dedicated as Radiohead are.

But totally get why someone would prefer Radiohead over U2.

I think U2 are probably more dedicated than Radiohead will end up being. Do you really see them being together when they approaching 60 and have been playing together for four decades? People give U2 crap for not being as dedicated or prolific as they used to be, but realistically there's only so many times you can go to a well before it goes dry. U2 are ridiculously fortunate that they've been able to find a few wells in their years together, which is more than can be said for almost any other artist out there. It still probably gets harder to get water from it though.