Author Topic: U2 vs Radiohead  (Read 25187 times)

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
Re: U2 vs Radiohead
« Reply #60 on: December 02, 2012, 09:44:49 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
So once again you are presenting conjecture as fact. I don't understand how you can continue to do it when it is dishonest and you are continually called out on it. Maybe you like the negative attention.  :-\

Never presented as fact, this is a forum where we share opinions.

I don't think this will merit negative attention because I am clearly (in my own humble opinion) favoring U2 over Radiohead in a U2 forum. Had I stated this in a Radiohead forum, surely I will get a lot of negative comments.

And the very premise of this thread (whether started in jest or in blind seriousness) calls for an opinion to compare the bands. One band being better than the other can never be a "fact".

I remember back in the day, there would be online polls or surveys.  Then some member in a U2 forum would provide a link and say "go to this site, vote for U2 so they will win."  Then also, there are times when in forums of other artists, U2 are unfairly bashed.  Members in U2 forums would then encourage their friends to join these other forums to help "defend" U2.

Perhaps the same is happening in this forum? We are getting some fans of different bands who come in just to defend their band? Is there infestation happening here?

We are in the U2 forum, and all presumed to be U2 fans. I really think those people who start threads to compare U2 to other bands must surely be doing it in jest. After all, what other reply can you expect from a U2 forum? If ever, they should do this in some forums of general music with no band affiliations.

If a person wants to compare U2 to his or her band and expect "unbiased" comments, then don't do it in a U2 forum.  And if some actually favor that other band over U2, in a U2 forum, expect negative backlash.

Again, with my clear defense for U2, I do not think this would merit any negative comments. I am the one giving the negative comments about Radiohead. This is a U2 forum, no dishonestly when you state your opinion and defend (even blindly at time) the band you love so much and the driving reason you signed up for this forum.

Cheers,

J

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2012, 09:50:34 PM »
Is that how the band explained it to you? Thanks for sharing.

::)

No explanation from the band as I don't know them personally.

This is just my educated opinion and hypothesis based on observations about Radiohead's music.

But for obvious reasons, I follow U2's career more closely so believe myself to be an authority on U2 facts, but on Radiohead I am just an observer - never been a fan.

So I share my opinion the is relevant to the topic on this thread.

Cheers,

J

So once again you are presenting conjecture as fact. I don't understand how you can continue to do it when it is dishonest and you are continually called out on it. Maybe you like the negative attention.  :-\

exactly. lock thread please?

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #62 on: December 02, 2012, 09:58:31 PM »
I'm a huge Radiohead fan and certainly label them as one of my favorite bands. I think they're brilliant but I can also understand why some people don't connect with them. It took me a few years to really appreciate them and what they're doing. I admire U2 for aiming big and wanting to connect with people; I also admire the way Radiohead continues to defy convention and couldn't care less about mainstream success. I think both aspirations have their merits; they just work in two very different ways.

U2 is still my favorite band and I can listen to their music at any time. As much as I love Radiohead, I do have to be in a certain mood to listen to them. Kid A is fantastic, but not something I can just throw on at random.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #63 on: December 02, 2012, 10:02:44 PM »
exactly. lock thread please?

I second the motion!

Cheers,

J

Offline Aqua

• Acrobat
  • adam for trlica 8^)
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2012, 10:15:55 PM »
Was hoping the thread wouldn't really get going, because Radiohead fans are generally pretty obsessive about Radiohead, and see them as the apex of creativity and originality and emotional communication. And those who don't really enjoy Radiohead feel the need to push back with equal fervour, and then we get a stream of opinions stated as facts, as well as uncritical dismissals of Radiohead's merit.

I personally think Radiohead are creative, they put a lot of thought into their music, and are passionate. And when I reference their thoughtfulness, I include their lyrics. I also think that above all, Thom Yorke can really sing to the heart, and translate pain and related feelings into vocals superbly- this shouldn't really just be dismissed as depressing.

However, it makes perfect sense that some people won't appreciate this; it just won't be as meaningful to some (with their experiences and the type of music that they listen to) as it is to others. And it doesn't mean they don't know the music, it's just purely an issue of taste.

A lot of people on this forum bag ATYCLB, which is an album I love. These people know ATYCLB well, many of them even having caught the Elevation tour.

I think out and out comparisons like these are therefore destined to produce poor discussion, with very few references to almost anything objective. Maybe a who's better live discussion would be healthier.

I prefer U2 for a few reasons, namely their consistent output of amazing music that is in fact quite diverse, and I think Bono has a similar ability to translate real emotion into vocals. There's also a bit more U2 out there than Radiohead, that probably makes a difference. Kid A is my favorite Radiohead album and Zooropa my favorite U2 album (close to AB and ATYCLB).

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2012, 10:20:14 PM »
Was hoping the thread wouldn't really get going, because Radiohead fans are generally pretty obsessive about Radiohead, and see them as the apex of creativity and originality and emotional communication. And those who don't really enjoy Radiohead feel the need to push back with equal fervour, and then we get a stream of opinions stated as facts, as well as uncritical dismissals of Radiohead's merit.

I personally think Radiohead are creative, they put a lot of thought into their music, and are passionate. And when I reference their thoughtfulness, I include their lyrics. I also think that above all, Thom Yorke can really sing to the heart, and translate pain and related feelings into vocals superbly- this shouldn't really just be dismissed as depressing.

However, it makes perfect sense that some people won't appreciate this; it just won't be as meaningful to some (with their experiences and the type of music that they listen to) as it is to others. And it doesn't mean they don't know the music, it's just purely an issue of taste.

A lot of people on this forum bag ATYCLB, which is an album I love. These people know ATYCLB well, many of them even having caught the Elevation tour.

I think out and out comparisons like these are therefore destined to produce poor discussion, with very few references to almost anything objective. Maybe a who's better live discussion would be healthier.

I prefer U2 for a few reasons, namely their consistent output of amazing music that is in fact quite diverse, and I think Bono has a similar ability to translate real emotion into vocals. There's also a bit more U2 out there than Radiohead, that probably makes a difference. Kid A is my favorite Radiohead album and Zooropa my favorite U2 album (close to AB and ATYCLB).

This is no place for a reasoned, well-thought response. Get out.

:P

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2012, 12:22:23 AM »

This thread is quite amusing for me though. When U2 are mentioned in the same sentence with inferior musical acts who hardly share the same musical and artistic values as the band - it always gives me a chuckle.

Cheers,

J

Says the guy with the Bon Jovi avatar.

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2012, 02:32:43 AM »
where do some people get the idea that radiohead could not care less about mainstream success thats rubbish afterall being successful in the mainstream is the ultimate proof of how great your music is

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2012, 03:02:39 AM »
where do some people get the idea that radiohead could not care less about mainstream success thats rubbish afterall being successful in the mainstream is the ultimate proof of how great your music is
iknowlolthosepeoplearealmostasbadasthosewhodontthinkthatpunctuationmattreshahaharoflmao

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2012, 05:09:38 AM »

lol it is?

jacob

« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2012, 06:28:55 AM »
these comparisons don't make any sense.

whats up next?

u2 vs the smurfs?
Thom Yorke vs Gollum?

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2012, 06:37:23 AM »
U2 vs Sgt Slaughter 2/3 falls, no DQ. Book it.

smee

« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2012, 08:35:48 AM »
I love both bands. Forced to choose one to please my ear. U2 wins hands down EVerYtime!

Offline bethere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2012, 09:08:00 AM »
Well, Radiohead is the messiah of the nerdy indy lovers. They are certainly better than Justin Bieber, Britney Spears, Katy Perry, Fun, LMFAO, Adele, etc., but they are not nearly as good as U2 and they probably don't deserve such a comparison at all. They will always be worshiped and loved in the small bubble of indy world, but outside that bubble most people couldn't tell you anything the band sings except maybe Creep which after nearly 20 years continues to be their most recognized, and for most people, only known song in the United States.

Offline Shark Ericson

• Refugee
« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2012, 09:20:38 AM »
being successful in the mainstream is the ultimate proof of how great your music is

Yes. One Direction's new album (which sold 1 million copies worldwide in its first week) was the apex of music greatness in 2012

;)