Author Topic: I love Pop!  (Read 5568 times)

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
I love Pop!
« on: October 29, 2008, 07:22:32 AM »
I should never listen to popular opinion, because for years now, I've ignored 'Pop' because I heard it was such a bomb.  Well, I finally got my own copy, and I have to say, I feel so misled.  I love this album.  Okay, not all of it and there certainly aren't any hit singles on it.  First off, the title is deliberately misleading.  This is not a happy, pop album.  After 'Discotheque' things get very dark.  They should have called it 'The Dark Night of U2's Soul'.  This album sounds like a mid-life crisis to me.  Maybe I'm just at an age to appreciate the themes.  It sounds like Bono is looking at himself, saying 'Oh my God.  Who have I become?'  There is conflict, temptation, he feels jaded and doesn't like it. He feels abandoned by God and his own idealism.   'Wake up, dead man' has got to be the loneliest, most desperate song I've ever heard.  I started a whole new thread for this album, because I think i may want to discuss it a lot.  Tell me if I'm wrong here with my interpretations, or give me your thoughts on individual songs.  To think, I've missed out for all these years...       *weeps softly*   

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
Re: I love Pop!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 07:28:29 AM »
i know there's another thread going, with 'Pop' discussion, but I don't want to talk about JT.  I just want to discuss the songs on 'Pop'.  So feel free to repeat yourself here.  I will appreciate any insight you have.

Offline B-Wood

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • AchtungCloud on old forum
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 07:38:42 AM »
I really like the direction on the first three songs on the album and wish they would have made an entire album with a similar style.  Also, the band shouldn't ignore this album live, and they should leave the songs alone because their new mixes on the Best of 1990-2000 album are all worse than the originals.

At one point in time this was my favorite U2 album, but it's kinda fallen in favor with me dropping to 5th favorite now.  I really like the lryics on this album and I just like the whole feel the album gives off.

Also, I was wondering if anyone has noticed or think there is any significance to the sun and the rain on the Pop album?  I think every song on the album except Mofo, The Playboy Mansion, and Wake Up Dead Man have either sun or rain in the lyrics.

Offline JustinU2K8

• Babyface
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 08:21:45 AM »
I think Bono had the best quote (surprise, surprise) about this album: (I paraphrase) "It's a really good album full of unfinished demos." He also went on to say how The Edge is intrigued by the thought of going into the studio sometime and completely re-doing that album. That would be something I think a lot of U2 fans would be glad to see.

I like "Pop" but it speaks volumes that the single versions of "Last Night on Earth", "Please" and "If God Will Send His Angels" sound better than the album versions...they were able to go back into the studio to "finish" those. Not to mention the live version of Mofo becoming tighter as the Popmart tour went along.

Do You Feel Loved is a song that was never fully realized, I don't think.

Still, Discotheque is one of my favorites as is the single version of Please and I eventually came around on If You Wear that Velvet Dress.

The album as a whole, though, is in the bottom two or three albums they've recorded, I think simply because they put a stricter timeline on it.

Offline unforgettable fire

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • "Is the world really, really round?" - Larry
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 08:52:58 AM »
Pop is a good, solid album for me.

i agree with B-Wood on how the album as a whole should've sounded like the first three songs: Discotheque, Do You Feel Loved, and Mofo. It might've sounded a bit more consistant.

And I've heard alot of trash talk about the song "Miami". But I would like to disagree. Sure lyrically it isn't as consistant as most of U2's other songs, but the driving beat is just cacthy to me it reminds me of Trip-Hop. Plus the live rendition during thier first Popmart show in Las Vegas is just awesome. Maybe they should re-record it in a similar fashion to their live version. But that's just me.

The one song though on it that doesn't turn me on is "If You Wear That Velvet Dress". It just didn't click for me as a song.

It would be interesting if the band went in to re-record the album. Probably by then Pop will get the regonition it derserves.

Boom Cha!

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 11:04:58 AM »
Hooray! It's good to see that other people appreciate the greatness that is Pop. I'm always torn between Pop and Achtung Baby as my favorite U2 album. I just love the whole style of it. And Bono was right in saying that it sounds like staring at a party and ending at a funeral......or something like that.

But, I think it would be a huge mistake to rerecord it. It's perfect the way it is. I love how it sounds so unfinished yet polished at the same time. I can't explain, but that's what I think.

Oh! And Staring At The Sun is an amazing song.........just ask the Gorillaz..... ;)

Offline TheFlyingLemon

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 04:08:21 PM »
Great album. Please is a very underated song, as is Do You Feel Loved.  ;)

Offline ElJayVee

• Airborne Ranger
  • Love is clockworks and cold steel
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 05:10:21 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The one song though on it that doesn't turn me on is "If You Wear That Velvet Dress".

Funny... that's exactly what it does to me!  *fans self*

The only songs that really feel unfinished to me are "Playboy Mansion" and "Miami" - musically, they're great and Bono is very astute in his lyrics, but they don't seem to work together for me.

~L

Offline unforgettable fire

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • "Is the world really, really round?" - Larry
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 10:23:57 PM »

I love how it sounds so unfinished yet polished at the same time. I can't explain, but that's what I think.

You just reminded me of something: The songs off The Unforgettable Fire also was unfinished and out of focus, which to me is what gives it it's brillence. Pop is the same thing except more Ironic and different style.

Funny... that's exactly what it does to me!  *fans self*

The only songs that really feel unfinished to me are "Playboy Mansion" and "Miami" - musically, they're great and Bono is very astute in his lyrics, but they don't seem to work together for me.

And coinsidentaly, I like those two songs that you don't like. :D

Offline rhmn

• Babyface
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 05:32:34 AM »

POP and ZOOROPA were the albums where U2 band
  members were at their most inventive form.

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 06:32:53 AM »
Does anyone mind if we discuss individual songs?  i don't think there's anything too deep in 'Discotheque'.  Bono says it's a riddle about love.  Easy enough.  But then we plunge into 'Do You Feel Loved'.  To me, this sounds like it's about their relationship with fans, especially some of the more crazy ones.  (no one here by that description!)  About how some people turn being a fan into an obsession.  They think they have a relationship with, say Bono.  "Take this tangle of a conversation, turn it into your own prayer"  People will read significance into a quick 'hello' from their idol.  But maybe I'm wrong, because I don't really get the last verse, the 'man and woman' part.  Is he comparing a relationship with fans to a love relationship?  Help me out here, people.  Thoughts?  Tomorrow class will meet again and we'll be discussing 'Mofo'.  (Sorry, the English major in me has to pick apart these lyrics for meaning)

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 09:44:56 AM »
I've always liked the album and I feel there are some truly underrated songs on it, especially The Playboy Mansion, which has always been a favorite of mine.

Boom Cha!

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 02:39:42 PM »
Does anyone mind if we discuss individual songs?  i don't think there's anything too deep in 'Discotheque'.  Bono says it's a riddle about love.  Easy enough.  But then we plunge into 'Do You Feel Loved'.  To me, this sounds like it's about their relationship with fans, especially some of the more crazy ones.  (no one here by that description!)  About how some people turn being a fan into an obsession.  They think they have a relationship with, say Bono.  "Take this tangle of a conversation, turn it into your own prayer"  People will read significance into a quick 'hello' from their idol.  But maybe I'm wrong, because I don't really get the last verse, the 'man and woman' part.  Is he comparing a relationship with fans to a love relationship?  Help me out here, people.  Thoughts?  Tomorrow class will meet again and we'll be discussing 'Mofo'.  (Sorry, the English major in me has to pick apart these lyrics for meaning)

I thought Do You feel Loved was just a song about rough sex between a man and a woman. I think the "Take this tangle of a conversation, turn it into you're own prayer" was just about how people talk dirty during sex. "Take my shirt, go on and take it off me, You can tear it up if you can tie me down" also seems to involve some sort of foreplay. That's just my thought on the song.

You're take on it is pretty interesting though.

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 05:23:08 PM »
Wow, Boom cha, yours is pretty interesting, too.  Gives me something to think about next time I listen.  Maybe his relationship with his fans feels like rough sex.  Fun and satisfying, but leaves him a little bruised.  Oops, are we getting too explicit here?  Sorry.   :-[

Boom Cha!

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 05:39:45 PM »
Haha :D you better watch it u2yooper.

Oh. And I always thought Discotheque was about drugs, not love. With lines like "you know you're chewing bubblegum, you know what that is, but you still want some". "You take what you can get, cuz it's all that you can find" I also thought was just desperation for drugs.

I'm sure it is about love though, U2 was never big on the drugs part of rock n' roll.