Author Topic: U2 Conference 2013 Program  (Read 12515 times)

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
Re: U2 Conference 2013 Program
« Reply #105 on: April 24, 2013, 06:39:05 PM »
Oh, TD!  ::)

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #106 on: April 26, 2013, 09:49:41 AM »
I wish I could have went. :(

Offline jabw10

• Airborne Ranger
  • I'm more than you know...
« Reply #107 on: April 26, 2013, 01:14:33 PM »
We miss you, star! :)

Offline MASTER YODA

• Staring at the Sun
  • Patriots 2017!!!
« Reply #108 on: April 26, 2013, 01:32:55 PM »
A U2 Conference is absurd, I don't care if you disagree with me. Do you really need or want to know how U2 music reflects to non-musicians. Do you really need to meet with others to discuss a group that hasn't released a song in 4 years. I am all for getting excited when they are touring and maybe even meeting up with other fans going to a concert but this just is sad.

They are a music group, not a religion, Bono is not God or the second coming. He was a prolific song writer and one of the best front man of one of the best rock groups in history. Now he is one of the richest rock stars in history and a sell out. Now his fans instead of expecting great music just expect some tidbit if information to keep them popular.

Do we really need to pick apart everything they do and analyze every thing they have written and recorded. Will there be roundtable discussions on U2's relevance, spirituality. I just find the fact that there is even a conference dedicated to U2 to be disturbing.

Im glad someone has finally has said this!
Giving a U2 sermon at church is really disturbing too.

Offline Northern Soul

• Desert Rose
  • I'm not coming down...
« Reply #109 on: April 26, 2013, 02:31:15 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Jen, ignore the neggo nelly.

I'm excited for you folks! Choose your seminars carefully because they will... inspire you? heh. Might be other fun stuff you folks can do in Cleveland too, besides the Rock& Roll Hall of Fame of course

Agree - if your not interested fine go read another thread.

For those lucky enough to go I look forward to seeing tweets and reading all about it - the guys have been working hard behind the scenes!!

Ok This is what's wrong with music now a days (and with society). Its all about making a buck and not about making music.

A U2 Conference is absurd, I don't care if you disagree with me. Do you really need or want to know how U2 music reflects to non-musicians. Do you really need to meet with others to discuss a group that hasn't released a song in 4 years. I am all for getting excited when they are touring and maybe even meeting up with other fans going to a concert but this just is sad.

They are a music group, not a religion, Bono is not God or the second coming. He was a prolific song writer and one of the best front man of one of the best rock groups in history. Now he is one of the richest rock stars in history and a sell out. Now his fans instead of expecting great music just expect some tidbit if information to keep them popular.

Do we really need to pick apart everything they do and analyze every thing they have written and recorded. Will there be roundtable discussions on U2's relevance, spirituality. I just find the fact that there is even a conference dedicated to U2 to be disturbing.

Ok, so it's not your thing.  But to say that this is what's wrong with society?  Because fans of a band want to get together and talk about their favourite band??

I think what's wrong with society is people thinking that a U2 conference is the end of civilization.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #110 on: April 26, 2013, 03:22:19 PM »
I'm very proud of the U2 sermon I gave at my church and people loved it. What is disturbing about a U2 sermon?! The band's music reflects spiritual themes.

Offline MASTER YODA

• Staring at the Sun
  • Patriots 2017!!!
« Reply #111 on: April 26, 2013, 03:46:47 PM »
Well isnt the point of Christianity about Jesus? It just seems you might have gotten away from that. U2 have abandon their faith with coexist, macphisto, and other songs in the 90's like Wake Up Deadman.
Well Im glad people liked it, but doesnt mean it's justified.

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #112 on: April 26, 2013, 07:38:05 PM »
I think it depends on how one views religion. Maybe for some people, Christianity is all about Jesus, but I think other Christians can interpret their faith in different ways. And I don't believe that U2 has abandoned their faith. I can't say for sure, but I think they still remained loyal to their beliefs throughout the 90's- MacPhisto was humorous and not meant to be taken seriously, and Wake Up Dead Man (as well as If God Will Send His Angels, come to think of it) describes the struggles with trying to remain true to their faith, not abandoning it completely. There are songs from the next three albums that can be interpreted spiritually. Also, I don't think "coexist" has anything to do with abandoning one's faith- it's about embracing the idea that there are other beliefs out there, which is a valid and open-minded gesture. But all of that ^ is speculation and interpretation- we can't know how the band feels in regards to religion for sure.

Back on topic, I would love to see a U2 church service, even though I'm not of the Christian religion... only if the right songs were selected, though.

Offline jabw10

• Airborne Ranger
  • I'm more than you know...
« Reply #113 on: April 26, 2013, 10:05:56 PM »
It's so fun watching U2-3D with a roomful of people who understand :)
Also love seeing the songs broken down theoretically. Just fun! And lots to think about with the band's creative process... And how they find success in uncharted musical territory... And how would that affect my own songwriting if I tried exploring ideas far off of the beaten path... Fascinating stuff!!

Oh- and so many cool meetings with faraway friends ;D

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #114 on: April 26, 2013, 10:39:47 PM »
Well isnt the point of Christianity about Jesus? It just seems you might have gotten away from that. U2 have abandon their faith with coexist, macphisto, and other songs in the 90's like Wake Up Deadman.

Well,I'm not Christian. I'm Unitarian Universalist. So....

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #115 on: April 27, 2013, 12:41:48 AM »

Im glad someone has finally has said this!
Giving a U2 sermon at church is really disturbing too.

Its freedom of choice - its people doing what they want to do.

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #116 on: April 27, 2013, 04:40:23 AM »

I can see where some people might be sceptical however adding U2's music to a church service does not necessarily make the service about U2 or their music. It might even make religion accessable and acceptable to someone who might otherwise eschew it. Everytime I watch Rattle and Hum the scene that touches me the most is the service in Harlem. That choir and U2 might now have been signing about the same thing however when they sang together they certainly found common ground.

I have never been to a U2Eucharist and look forward to it, if only out of curiosity. Try to keep an open mind.

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #117 on: April 27, 2013, 04:41:54 AM »
It's so fun watching U2-3D with a roomful of people who understand :)
Also love seeing the songs broken down theoretically. Just fun! And lots to think about with the band's creative process... And how they find success in uncharted musical territory... And how would that affect my own songwriting if I tried exploring ideas far off of the beaten path... Fascinating stuff!!

Oh- and so many cool meetings with faraway friends ;D
I would  love hearing about the songs all broken down like that... I love music analysis!

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #118 on: April 27, 2013, 06:07:14 AM »
Read a tweet that said at the end of U23D, the crowd all sang along with Yahweh.  Would've loved to be there!

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #119 on: April 27, 2013, 09:03:27 AM »
Every significant Christian denomination has been taking notes from U2 for 20 years...