Author Topic: U2 Conference 2013 Program  (Read 12508 times)

Offline dwaltman

• Staring at the Sun
Re: U2 Conference 2013 Program
« Reply #120 on: April 27, 2013, 09:50:32 AM »
Disturbing?  Really?  Why be so judgmental?

People gather in all sorts of places to discuss their passions and their stories.  As with anything else, their are endless connections to be made.  I'm not there but I've been following online and so far their have been presentations and discussions on world affairs, political activism, music production, graphic design, marketing, lyrical interpretations, and other personal journeys where U2 has happened to intersect.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
« Reply #121 on: April 27, 2013, 10:28:24 AM »
Exactly. U2 reaches me on a personal level... And their music has touched so many other people the same way... When I'm in a GA line, I feel like I'm communing with "my people."

Not that this helps support anything, but ever hear of Star Trek conventions? Ok, yeah, those can be disturbing too. But I've attended them cuz I'm a geek and it's a lot of fun talking to people who similarly built their life's philosophy around a great show tried to promote a peaceful future between species in the universe. (Okay, it didnt always work out that way, but still... Star Trek is certainly a lot more positive than a lot of other science fiction in its portrayal of humanity's future.)

Offline Blue Silken Sky

• Elevated
  • What are the feelings you left behind?
« Reply #122 on: April 27, 2013, 10:57:31 AM »
I wouldn't disparage any fan gathering/conference/convention. Anything that brings people together to intellectually, emotionally, spiritually, and physically connect is wonderful. I don't know about everyone else, but I wish I had more opportunities to meet people from outside my family/work/friend circle. How very nice to make those new connections with people who love a band you do! I know our forum family members are having a blast and I'm proud of them for being ambassadors of U2 affection.  ;D

Speaking of fan conferences, I saw a lovely buzzfeed post about a Corgi gathering:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Have a beautiful day!

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #123 on: April 27, 2013, 11:25:15 AM »
A U2 Conference is absurd, I don't care if you disagree with me. Do you really need or want to know how U2 music reflects to non-musicians. Do you really need to meet with others to discuss a group that hasn't released a song in 4 years. I am all for getting excited when they are touring and maybe even meeting up with other fans going to a concert but this just is sad.

They are a music group, not a religion, Bono is not God or the second coming. He was a prolific song writer and one of the best front man of one of the best rock groups in history. Now he is one of the richest rock stars in history and a sell out. Now his fans instead of expecting great music just expect some tidbit if information to keep them popular.

Do we really need to pick apart everything they do and analyze every thing they have written and recorded. Will there be roundtable discussions on U2's relevance, spirituality. I just find the fact that there is even a conference dedicated to U2 to be disturbing.

Im glad someone has finally has said this!
Giving a U2 sermon at church is really disturbing too.

I was at a church's Christianity in pop culture series on a fri night. They analyzed the scripture in the lyrics. It was a huge hit and by no means embarassing. Even showed a lot of live videos and the wits video which I'd never seen. Anything that gets people interested in the church is ok with me.

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #124 on: April 27, 2013, 12:58:47 PM »
Read a tweet that said at the end of U23D, the crowd all sang along with Yahweh.  Would've loved to be there!

You were with us in spirit, lj!

Offline MASTER YODA

• Staring at the Sun
  • Patriots 2017!!!
« Reply #125 on: April 27, 2013, 01:08:02 PM »
I was at a church's Christianity in pop culture series on a fri night. They analyzed the scripture in the lyrics. It was a huge hit and by no means embarassing. Even showed a lot of live videos and the wits video which I'd never seen. Anything that gets people interested in the church is ok with me.
[/quote]

That's something different.

Every significant Christian denomination has been taking notes from U2 for 20 years...

No way, we don't take U2 lyrics as being sacred or anything to learn from. U2 takes notes from the Bible.

Well,I'm not Christian. I'm Unitarian Universalist. So....

Unitarian Universalist have a church?

Its freedom of choice - its people doing what they want to do.

Yes and I never neglected their freedom of going.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #126 on: April 27, 2013, 01:19:11 PM »
Even aethists have a church. I couldn't subscribe to a religion that lets you do whatever you feel like

zootv

« Reply #127 on: April 27, 2013, 01:52:58 PM »
I love U2, but a conference is one of the most ridiculous and frivolous things I've ever heard of,IMO. But if that's your thing, I say God bless and have a great time.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #128 on: April 27, 2013, 01:59:25 PM »
So badly wanted to go to this.

And here I am, inside on a nice day, stuck with doing a massive amount of homework. Oh well  :D

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #129 on: April 27, 2013, 02:30:18 PM »
Even aethists have a church. I couldn't subscribe to a religion that lets you do whatever you feel like
Aetheists have a church? But it's not a religion...

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #130 on: April 27, 2013, 02:45:01 PM »

They do it as a mockery of organized religions, or so I heard

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #131 on: April 27, 2013, 02:51:15 PM »

They do it as a mockery of organized religions, or so I heard

Hm, interesting. But I think having a church is kind of defeating the purpose, even if it is ironic.

Offline jabw10

• Airborne Ranger
  • I'm more than you know...
« Reply #132 on: April 27, 2013, 04:28:46 PM »
Read a tweet that said at the end of U23D, the crowd all sang along with Yahweh.  Would've loved to be there!

You were with us in spirit, lj!
What Beli said ;D ((hug))

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #133 on: April 27, 2013, 05:23:44 PM »
To be in a crowd of people wjo actually knew the lyrics to Yahweh would"ve been awesome!

And really, different strokes for different folks, whatever floats your boat, live and let live, you get the idea.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 06:11:16 PM by lorijane »

Offline jabw10

• Airborne Ranger
  • I'm more than you know...
« Reply #134 on: April 27, 2013, 11:43:25 PM »
To be in a crowd of people wjo actually knew the lyrics to Yahweh would"ve been awesome!

And really, different strokes for different folks, whatever floats your boat, live and let live, you get the idea.
Dude, you wouldn't believe the tribute band tonight. Outstanding!! If you get a chance to see Unforgettable Fire, you need to go - just amazing!