Author Topic: U2 Conference 2013 Program  (Read 12999 times)

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
Re: U2 Conference 2013 Program
« Reply #150 on: April 28, 2013, 04:20:29 PM »
That was such a great show. My fiance loved it too and he's not a huge U2 fan. ;) That moment with Streets was exactly like a real show... And the band was really having a great time. I would definitely see them again, they were amazing!! I went nuts when they sang A Celebration. I'll never hear the real U2 play it so that was almost better than the real thing. ;)

Offline gypsyheart75

• Refugee
« Reply #151 on: April 28, 2013, 04:43:38 PM »
Please. Gone. 11 O'clock. Kite. Acrobat. Stories for Boys. 40. The Fly. Still Haven't Found. One, Streets, Wild Horses. (Not in order)

They were a great tribute band who danced on tables and chairs to connect with their audience.

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #152 on: April 28, 2013, 05:18:28 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Please. Gone. 11 O'clock. Kite. Acrobat. Stories for Boys. 40. The Fly. Still Haven't Found. One, Streets, Wild Horses. (Not in order)

They were a great tribute band who danced on tables and chairs to connect with their audience.
You had me at Acrobat. That is soooooo awesome! (And Wild Horses, one of my favorite U2 songs!)

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #153 on: April 28, 2013, 05:37:16 PM »
They didnt play The Fly or Acrobat!!

They did play Ultraviolet, though.

Offline gypsyheart75

• Refugee
« Reply #154 on: April 28, 2013, 05:47:42 PM »
I'm operating on about 7 hours of sleep over the three days - suppose Acrobat was wishful thinking after that awesome version of Wild Horses! Anyway - the vibe of the thing was amazing! Just wonderful to be there.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #155 on: April 28, 2013, 05:53:40 PM »
Acrobat would have been awesome, though. I like your dreaming. That drummer was really good, he could have pulled it off.

I loved how the bass player got Two Hearts Beat As One started. It was GREAT!

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
« Reply #156 on: April 28, 2013, 06:06:51 PM »
They did do (and talk a bit about) Acrobat during the morning session, though. :)

Thx for all the kind words, everyone. I think @U2 (and me) gets way too much credit for this. The conference is Scott's idea and baby, and we do whatever we can to help out. In '09 it was promotion, and this time it was promotion and putting together some non-academic sessions. But Scott is really the conductor and driving force and needs to get more credit than he does. So please give it to him. :)

Such a wonderful weekend. Thx to all who made it that way.

(And holy freaking wow is Unforgettable Fire great!)

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #157 on: April 28, 2013, 06:16:23 PM »
i would hope that a U2 tribute band at a U2 conference would be chock full of deep cuts and b-sides. if youre gonna attend a u2 con. you probably wanna hear more than the big hits...

i've seen 3 u2 tributes the rarest stuff that comes to mind is
Party Girl
Wire
WGRYWH
HMTM
Lemon
Numb
Zooropa
Gone
Kite
IGC

Offline gypsyheart75

• Refugee
« Reply #158 on: April 28, 2013, 06:41:42 PM »
I'm pretty sure, but perhaps others with better memories of the details, that they did play Gone, Kite, In God's Country, Wire, and Wild Horses...

McGee, please tell Scott that the program was a perfect balance of Academia and Mainsteam, and the details - everything from the hotel, to the passes to the Rock Hall, to the evening events and Key Note Speakers - was a little slice of U2 heaven.

It was a massive jump forward from the 2009 Confab program, which was awesome.

That spirit we saw last night was a reflection of 100+ people having the time of their life, living what they love, after a weekend of talking about what they love. Great weekend.

Offline Blue Silken Sky

• Elevated
  • What are the feelings you left behind?
« Reply #159 on: April 28, 2013, 07:16:09 PM »
So glad you all had such a great time! And looks like I'll have another tribute band to look out for next time I head to the NYC area.  ;D

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #160 on: April 28, 2013, 07:18:58 PM »
gypsyheart, I agree. Scott and his lovely wife were amazing hosts and Scott should know what a wonderful job he did on the conference. I was really blown away by the whole thing. Kudos on a job well done. Scott, I hope you are taking some much deserved rest. Afterall we want you refreshed for planning the next one. ;)

Offline jabw10

• Airborne Ranger
  • I'm more than you know...
« Reply #161 on: April 28, 2013, 07:21:49 PM »
gypsyheart, I agree. Scott and his lovely wife were amazing hosts and Scott should know what a wonderful job he did on the conference. I was really blown away by the whole thing. Kudos on a job well done. Scott, I hope you are taking some much deserved rest. Afterall we want you refreshed for planning the next one. ;)
this^  :)

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #162 on: April 28, 2013, 07:30:30 PM »
That was such a great show. My fiance loved it too and he's not a huge U2 fan. ;) That moment with Streets was exactly like a real show... And the band was really having a great time. I would definitely see them again, they were amazing!! I went nuts when they sang A Celebration. I'll never hear the real U2 play it so that was almost better than the real thing. ;)

what? i thought tribute bands embarrassed you? they weren't secure enough to write their own material and all that

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #163 on: April 28, 2013, 07:32:11 PM »
The Fly, EBTTRT and UV are all staples in the 3 tribute bands i've seen multiple times. 2 are done and 1 is just starting, though it's not as strong as the Austin TX based one taht is ending its 7 year run in July.

northstarjo

« Reply #164 on: April 28, 2013, 11:06:47 PM »
Just a brief (for now) thank you/shout out to Scott and his wife for hosting, organizing, creating this event.   Also to both of them and Matt (and many of you others) who gave me the BEST keepsake by autographing my program!

U2/@U2 people ROCK!!!!!!!!
;D

Oh and Matt....thanks for honouring my photo request and chatting with us at the Hall.  One of my (many) highlights from the weekend!!!!!

:)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 11:10:22 PM by northstarjo »