Author Topic: U2 Conference 2013 Program  (Read 13023 times)

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • The world is spinning fast tonight...
Re: U2 Conference 2013 Program
« Reply #165 on: April 29, 2013, 08:57:34 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
That was such a great show. My fiance loved it too and he's not a huge U2 fan. ;) That moment with Streets was exactly like a real show... And the band was really having a great time. I would definitely see them again, they were amazing!! I went nuts when they sang A Celebration. I'll never hear the real U2 play it so that was almost better than the real thing. ;)

what? i thought tribute bands embarrassed you? they weren't secure enough to write their own material and all that

Aw, drat. I'm caught!

I had a change of heart when I accidentally ran into a tribute band--Elevation--playing in town one day....

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #166 on: April 29, 2013, 12:26:09 PM »
That was such a great show. My fiance loved it too and he's not a huge U2 fan. ;) That moment with Streets was exactly like a real show... And the band was really having a great time. I would definitely see them again, they were amazing!! I went nuts when they sang A Celebration. I'll never hear the real U2 play it so that was almost better than the real thing. ;)

what? i thought tribute bands embarrassed you? they weren't secure enough to write their own material and all that

Aw, drat. I'm caught!

I had a change of heart when I accidentally ran into a tribute band--Elevation--playing in town one day....

well i'm glad to hear it. Tributes can be a blast if done right. I see about 4 tributes around the Dallas area on the regular. Including a new, but not stellar, U2 tribute, With Or Without U2. I love em cuz they're big on the Zooropa stuff.

Offline jenniferh aka jen

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #167 on: April 29, 2013, 10:45:17 PM »
Unforgettable Fire was fabulous! They know the songs and they know how to present them, plus they are all very engaging with the audience. And they don't actually pretend to be the band members.

I still can't quite describe the Friday night tribute band. That was an interesting experience. ???

northstarjo

« Reply #168 on: April 30, 2013, 06:03:58 AM »
Hehehe interesting.....yes Fridays band was "interesting" all right!!!

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #169 on: April 30, 2013, 06:18:15 AM »
They did do (and talk a bit about) Acrobat during the morning session, though. :)

Thx for all the kind words, everyone. I think @U2 (and me) gets way too much credit for this. The conference is Scott's idea and baby, and we do whatever we can to help out. In '09 it was promotion, and this time it was promotion and putting together some non-academic sessions. But Scott is really the conductor and driving force and needs to get more credit than he does. So please give it to him. :)

Such a wonderful weekend. Thx to all who made it that way.

(And holy freaking wow is Unforgettable Fire great!)

Aren't they great??? I've seen them up here my way in Troy NY....even outside shows near
the Hudson River, you may near earplugs....they are loud...but excellent.. :) :)

northstarjo

« Reply #170 on: April 30, 2013, 07:20:22 AM »
"it might get loud", huh ocean??
;)

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #171 on: April 30, 2013, 08:00:47 AM »
Unforgettable Fire was fabulous! They know the songs and they know how to present them, plus they are all very engaging with the audience. And they don't actually pretend to be the band members.

I still can't quite describe the Friday night tribute band. That was an interesting experience. ???

do you remember their name?

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #172 on: April 30, 2013, 08:01:04 AM »

One

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
« Reply #173 on: April 30, 2013, 08:01:56 AM »

One

They were bad?

Offline Belisama

« Reply #174 on: April 30, 2013, 08:20:51 AM »

One

They were bad?

They could have been a little better. Plus it was a hard venue to play-- too much open space, not so great acoustics, lots of brick. I didn't stay for the whole show but for the songs I was there for their timing seemed a little off.

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #175 on: April 30, 2013, 08:24:38 AM »

One

They were bad?

They could have been a little better. Plus it was a hard venue to play-- too much open space, not so great acoustics, lots of brick. I didn't stay for the whole show but for the songs I was there for their timing seemed a little off.

Jen compared their Bono to John Belushi in Blues Brothers.... :)

Offline Belisama

« Reply #176 on: April 30, 2013, 08:57:02 AM »

One

They were bad?

I believe at one point he attempted a "Bono Speech." Not a good idea.

northstarjo

« Reply #177 on: April 30, 2013, 09:00:43 AM »

One

They were bad?

she was spot on!!! :D

northstarjo

« Reply #178 on: April 30, 2013, 09:01:36 AM »

One

They were bad?

they were pretty good. .. .until the singer opened his mouth  ::)
I mean, it wasn't as bad as karoake or anything but still - it wasn't Bono by any stretch of the imagination  ;)

Offline MarsGirl

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #179 on: April 30, 2013, 09:25:05 AM »

One

They were bad?

they were pretty good. .. .until the singer opened his mouth  ::)
I mean, it wasn't as bad as karoake or anything but still - it wasn't Bono by any stretch of the imagination  ;)

Here I had thought, "What? There's a U2 cover band in Canton? I could have booked them for my wedding!"

Good thing I didnt check that out. I think I'll stick to the band I got. :)