Author Topic: For U2's Next Album ...  (Read 774 times)

Offline youngmanu2

• Babyface
For U2's Next Album ...
« on: January 31, 2013, 09:36:21 AM »
(And, I know, it's already too late to even discuss as they are likely well into what songs they are doing for release for the fall...)

I think they should get back to Irish roots. Yes, they were punk early on and that morphed a bit, but they are still an Irish rock band with some American blues and punk influences.

But, I think it would be interesting to take their musicians and Bono & develop songs from Irish roots - and even have some vocal backups / duos with some of Ireland's top rock voices (O'Connor, O'Riordan, Coors, etc.) thrown in. Not to get too folky, of course, but adding that into the mix to their rock - and I think this would be a solid piece.

One of the things that made them great was their early emotion: first from Ireland/Europe angst (War); then their love/hate relationship with America (UF; JT; R&H); and finally amongst themselves (AB, esp. One). Tapping back into that, along with a bit of rock power and nostalgia from other Irish friends, would help create an interesting and I think successful album.

Trying to be something they are not in their origins (hip to teens; moroccan; etc.) doesn't work so great, imo (e.g., NLOTH).

JMHO ...

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
Re: For U2's Next Album ...
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 11:12:06 AM »
Except such a move would probably be too similar to Mumford and Sons in style... at least that is what my mind envisions.

Offline _acrobat

• Precious Stone
  • We live inside a dream
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 01:24:53 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Except such a move would probably be too similar to Mumford and Sons in style... at least that is what my mind envisions.

Ugh...not Mumford and sons. I'd rather have them do some Van Morrison sounding stuff

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 02:23:03 PM »

Ugh...not Mumford and sons. I'd rather have them do some Van Morrison sounding stuff

I agree with the uggh... But Bono always wants popular, and Van Morrison would be nice, but not something I see U2 striving for.  FOr that matter, I'd like something like Thin Lizzy, but I don't see that happening now (maybe 20 years ago, but not now).

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Child of Grace
  • There is no them, there's only us
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 02:23:22 AM »
I'm happy to see what they come up with, but I too would like to see them explore their Irish roots. There's just such a wealth of passion there that would be amazing to see and hear.

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 01:26:14 PM »
I guess their Irish roots will shine through every now and again but will only come to the fore full time when they make an album called "Man", kind of like the grown up answer to "Boy", but that certainly is not their next album for sure.

Offline youngmanu2

• Babyface
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 12:26:39 PM »
Need some "like" or "fist pump" buttons. All very good observations, imho.

Think you are onto it, Pasha, lots of passion in there.

There is an irony here. Bono may want popular, but when you strive for popular you usually fail. When you tap deep into your passions and emotions (sometimes it's more difficult to come by at 50 than at 22 - I know, I'm the same basic age as the band - born right in the middle of the 4) - you get something special that will often become popular. E.g., Sunday Bloody Sunday, Streets, Still haven't Found, One, Name of Love, etc.

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 12:46:53 PM »
I've no idea...they absorbed American music, dance/techno, pop, retro U2 sound...but I assume a new sound would be easier to find with a new producer, or rather, anyone but Eno/Lanois/Lillywhite.