Author Topic: U2's failure/refusal to leak album destined to backfire...  (Read 7696 times)

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
U2's failure/refusal to leak album destined to backfire...
« on: February 17, 2009, 08:40:00 AM »
At his late in the game, HTDAAB already leaked.  Albums of other artists had already leaked.

The new album has not leaked.

It seems U2 are going the extra mile on beefing up album release procedures just so it won't leak early.  But this will entail extra security expenses, since it covers a global scale and massive expenses.

Their record company will have to shoulder extra warehousing costs for the album, or require quick logistics work, or delay pressing until the last minute, just to save these few extra days of non-leak.

But what will this save U2?  Just a few pennies because only the few hardcore "forum fans" will be made aware of the album.  On the flip side, if the album was really good, the few hundreds of the "forum fans" will make noise equal to a million fans and the hype is instantly generated.

It was the early leak of HTDAAB and the powerful single of Vertigo that peaked interest in the album and gave U2 their strongest ever chart debut.

Now it seems U2 are spending more resources, money, and time just to prevent the leak.  But how much money will a non-leak save them compared to their expenses?  Not that much.

The numbers, the logic, and the math just don't add up.  It is indeed puzzling to guess why U2 don't want the album to leak, even just to its hardcore fans.

Unless perhaps they realize the album is a little hard to digest in the first listen and is challenging, and an acquired taste.

But U2's failure and/or refusal to leak the album will earn the ire of their forum fans who consist of a very small population but who are very loud and influential in the internet world.  These fans could have been the ones to spread the word and market the album for them.  U2's actions now are surely destined to backfire.

It is almost certain that the new album will not debut as strong as HTDAAB, and one of the reasons will be the band's failure to let it leak.

Cheers,

J

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
Re: U2's failure/refusal to leak album destined to backfire...
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 09:12:21 AM »
Of all the turds you've laid, that's possibly the biggest ever. It's wrong on so many counts.

JT and AB were pre-leak and they did pretty well.

Everyone just chill and just wait for the damn release date if you don't find a leak, there's a REASON people put schedules on projects in all walks of life.

I'm sure McGuinne$$ isn't thinking: "better leak the album to 100 fans on @u2, or we're ******"

« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 09:13:55 PM by Hawkmoon2e »

Offline U2#1-War

• Stateless
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 09:17:25 AM »
The reason AB and JT did well was b/c albums back then didn't really leak. These days albums leak more often than not. Why pay for a album if you can get it for free?

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 09:19:24 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Why pay for a album if you can get it for free?

And then we wonder why U2 is going out of their way to make sure it doesn't leak............

Offline U2#1-War

• Stateless
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 09:23:19 AM »
Hey i pay my "hard earned money" at the concerts.

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 09:25:35 AM »
Hey i pay my "hard earned money" at the concerts.

Fair enough. Do you steal video games because you paid your hard earned money for the game system ? Do you steal car parts because you paid hard earned money for your car ? Do you steal software because you paid hard earned money for your PC ?

I'll be the first to admit if the album is a dog I won't buy a copy, but I don't work for free, and I don't expect anyone else should either.

Offline dubzoo

• Wanderer
  • Every poet is a thief!
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 09:43:04 AM »
Let it leak. The last two albums were average. Nothing really to write home about. I will give ATYCLB more props because it was back to basics. I felt that they could have gone back to more experimental work since they made the case that they took over the best band.

I was hoping the newest album would be over the top like Pop or move in a different direction. Lanois/Eno make mood music. Bad was one of their all time great mood songs but it is time for a change of the guard. I wish that Rick Ruben or more traditional sounds from the Fez recordings would make an impact. I feel not. I think they are capable of making another great record like Pop or Achtung Baby but the backlash to the Pop album scared them and they had to go back to basics. They have been that way for two albums and I think for this one as well.

So we will see. I will buy the record. As an artist, I do not hold anything against U2 because they need to do what they want to do to keep themselves sane. I am hoping that the tour revisits gems and not the same old war horsed - SBS, BTBS, and WTSHNN. Bring back Lemon or In God's Country or Staring at the Sun and FUNK THEM UP!

I look forward to the leak.

daveyg

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 09:44:35 AM »
At his late in the game, HTDAAB already leaked.  Albums of other artists had already leaked.

It seems U2 are going the extra mile on beefing up album release procedures just so it won't leak early.  But this will entail extra security expenses, since it covers a global scale and massive expenses.

Their record company will have to shoulder extra warehousing costs for the album, or require quick logistics work, or delay pressing until the last minute, just to save these few extra days of non-leak.

But what will this save U2?  Just a few pennies because only the few hardcore "forum fans" will be made aware of the album.  On the flip side, if the album was really good, the few hundreds of the "forum fans" will make noise equal to a million fans and the hype is instantly generated.

The numbers, the logic, and the math just don't add up.  It is indeed puzzling to guess why U2 don't want the album to leak, even just to its hardcore fans.

Unless perhaps they realize the album is a little hard to digest in the first listen and is challenging, and an acquired taste.

But U2's failure and/or refusal to leak the album will earn the ire of their forum fans who consist of a very small population but who are very loud and influential in the internet world.  These fans could have been the ones to spread the word and market the album for them.  U2's actions now are surely destined to backfire.

This album will do as well or badly as it deserves and will come out in the wash regardless of it being leaked or not. It will stand the test of time as where U2 stood musically in 2009. Fans won't not buy it because it wasn't leaked. If it is a weak album, and the band know it, I'd imagine they'd be unofficially happy with the leaks to actually give it time to seap in. U2 aren't, or at least shouldn't be, interested in the financial success of the album (although I sometimes find it hard to digest that they're in it for the music rather than the business).

If anything will backfire, it's not because if non leakage. It'll be the transparancy of a rubbish album (if it is) and $$$$$ grabbing nature of their business

Of all the turds you've laid, that's possibly the biggest ever. It's wrong on so many counts.

JT and AB were pre-leak and they did pretty well.

Everyone just chill and just wait for the damn release date if you don't find a leak, there's a REASON people put schedules on projects in all walks of life.

I'm sure McGuinne$$ isn't thinking: "better leak the album to 100 fans on @u2, or we're ******"

whey ho, Silver!! it's an opinion! That was a bit heavy handed a response!

Although I agree, everyone should calm down and wait for the album! U2 know we'll all but the 200 versions of the album no matter how horrible it might be and McGuinne$$ will be running to the bank to roll the band over till the next album! :)

Mind you, it might actually be a good album afterall!!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 09:19:03 PM by Hawkmoon2e »

Revolver7

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 09:49:06 AM »
I'm going to buy the album...and I don't think U2's failure/refusal to leak the album will back fire...I think it'll actually make people more curious and interested in the album if they haven't heard it

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 09:53:36 AM »
whether or not it leaks will have little impact on sales, the people who would steal it even if they like it and will play it to death will just have to wait to steal it, that's all.

hurricane hugo

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 10:07:04 AM »

It was the early leak of HTDAAB and the powerful single of Vertigo that peaked interest in the album and gave U2 their strongest ever chart debut.

Now it seems U2 are spending more resources, money, and time just to prevent the leak.  But how much money will a non-leak save them compared to their expenses?  Not that much.

It is almost certain that the new album will not debut as strong as HTDAAB, and one of the reasons will be the band's failure to let it leak.

Cheers,

J

See what happens when you start the day without a good balanced breakfast, kids?

#@!

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 10:09:47 AM »
in his case it's 11.40 pm when he posted, so it should be "see what happens when you've been out drinking too much tanduay ?"

Boom Cha!

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 10:11:38 AM »
I don't know how you think that U2 preventing their album from leaking and being downloaded for free is a bad thing.  ???

I don't think that they want to give the album away for nothing. It seems much smarter to keep the album locked up until the release date.

Offline dislexoteche

• Stateless
  • helping God across the road like a little old lady
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 10:16:09 AM »

Wrong - the album has been leaked (albeit in 30/45 second snippets through Walmart a couple weeks ago). That's enough to fire my enthusiasm for this album and spreading the word to my non U2 friends. As far as earning "the ire of their forum fans" go, I think you're far more effective at that than U2 could ever be. Perhaps you could give them a masterclass on how to yield maximum irritation from the people on this forum?

Cheers, Andy

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 10:16:43 AM »
They must be doing a good job or it wouldnt tick off people, but wouldnt a real computer nerd be able to find it "somewhere", even if you would not listen to it, isnt it possible to find it in cyberspace. Maybe the last week before the album releases it will leak. I will wait myself to buy the CD.