Author Topic: U2's failure/refusal to leak album destined to backfire...  (Read 7698 times)

Offline MarlinsFan7

• Stateless
Re: U2's failure/refusal to leak album destined to backfire...
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 10:19:02 AM »
I understand the point many of you are making syaing that people will be forced to buy the album because of curiosity or whatnot.  However, let's get real.  The day the album comes out, I highly doubt any person who is "curious" would buy it.  Only true U2 fans would buy it on the first day.  Besides, one day is all the average fan needs to wait.  After the first day, this album will be all over the torrent sites. If I was "curious" about the album, i would definately wait for the leak that is sure to come.

So in my opinion, it doesn't matter if the album leaks today, tomorrow, or the day after it comes out.  It's going to leak.  And rest assured people will download it.  It's only a matter of time.

Offline evel12314

• Elevated
  • Squeeze out sparks of light.
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 10:40:17 AM »
I think the genius lay in leaking 30-45 second clips of every song. Just a little taste to get everyone interested.

Offline Surrender

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 10:45:41 AM »
It's not that expensive to keep the album from leaking.
Each manufacturer has a contract that makes them responsable for any leak. It's not difficult to know from which manufacturer came the leak. There is a digital watermark specific for a specific manufacturer.
The album would certainly leak, but just whenever it reaches the stores. After that manufacturers have no more responsabilities over it.
So it's simple to keep it from leaking and not that expensive.

Offline JuniorEmblem

• Child of Grace
  • 10 types, those who know binary & those who don't
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 11:25:44 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Each manufacturer has a contract that makes them responsable for any leak. It's not difficult to know from which manufacturer came the leak. There is a digital watermark specific for a specific manufacturer.
The album would certainly leak, but just whenever it reaches the stores. After that manufacturers have no more responsabilities over it.

Let's not get "real" facts get in the way of the facts from the 6th member of U2.....

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 11:46:30 AM »

But U2's failure and/or refusal to leak the album will earn the ire of their forum fans who consist of a very small population but who are very loud and influential in the internet world.  These fans could have been the ones to spread the word and market the album for them.  U2's actions now are surely destined to backfire.

[/quote]

Jick, this is an incredibly poor post you have made here. Very bad. Your opinions are welcome of course, but some of this stuff that you come up with is ridiculous. The paragraph that I have quoted from you above is quite unbelievable. Where do you get this stuff from, and you word it all in a way that you are stating 'fact', not your opinion or thoughts.

So how are 'U2's actions' going to backfire Jick? What you are saying is that because U2 didn't purposfully leak an album before its official release date, and the fact that the few thousand (approx) forum members that are out there in a world populated by hundreds of thousands of U2 fans didn't get to hear this leak, that this album is going to be a flop?

Do you honestly believe what you are saying? No leaked album and a few forum members are going to be responsible for No Line On The Horizon not being successful and selling in the bucket loads.  Get real man!

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2009, 11:57:07 AM »
I'm all for democracy, but really, we should boycott Jick's threads. He is just trying to wind us up by posting unintelligable comments.

Offline dislexoteche

• Stateless
  • helping God across the road like a little old lady
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2009, 12:06:48 PM »
I'm all for democracy, but really, we should boycott Jick's threads. He is just trying to wind us up by posting unintelligable comments.
[/quote

Maybe if everyone chills  8) and remains unprovoked Jik might lose the incentive to write such baloney?

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2009, 12:09:40 PM »
[/quote

Maybe if everyone chills  8) and remains unprovoked Jik might lose the incentive to write such baloney?

Yeah, we just keep feeding the troll eh?

Offline Surrender

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2009, 12:20:48 PM »

Let's not get "real" facts get in the way of the facts from the 6th member of U2.....

Peace.
Just showed how simple it is to keep it from leaking.
That's For the ones that don't know yet how it works.
I'm sure you already knew it.
Take care.

Offline ABloodRedSky

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • We're sorry, we're closed for lunch.
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2009, 01:16:13 PM »
I think the genius lay in leaking 30-45 second clips of every song. Just a little taste to get everyone interested.

I agree with evel. The clips definitely piqued my interest =)

Offline onetreehill

• Up With the Sun
  • to the rhythm of my soul
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2009, 01:57:02 PM »
this is just my opinion, as a visual artist I know I don't like to share anything with anyone until I am DONE!  maybe they want the fans to experience the album the way it was meant to be presented, meaning the flow of the songs and the images that come with the album, view it as a whole.  If it gets leaked (part of me is DYING to hear it, but part of me wants to experience it the way they intend it to be heard) it could just be bits and pieces.

shockdocta22

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2009, 02:03:55 PM »
if it leaks, than less people will buy it resulting in less success

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2009, 02:06:29 PM »

I disagree shock only really die hard fans will find/know about the leak - and I mean REAL die hard fans. And I bet you they still by the album.

I wouild listen to the leak, and I have pre-orderd the box-set, the vinyl and the iTunes version, and ill physically buy the regular CD (maybe one of the other versions as well.

Offline onetreehill

• Up With the Sun
  • to the rhythm of my soul
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2009, 02:07:01 PM »

Shock I don't know if you know the answer to this, but do musicians make the money more off an album? or off a tour?  I know with smaller bands they make most of their money off a show (but I am talking local small bands)

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2009, 02:29:18 PM »
Achtung Baby leaked all over UK Radio 1 about a week before release. Every song, on a 'U2 Day'. It was great.

How many copies did Achtung baby sell?

Come on folks.