Author Topic: Adam's release date  (Read 9618 times)

Offline bethere

• Running to Stand Still
Re: Adam's release date
« Reply #105 on: March 01, 2013, 07:51:44 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The problem is "Who gets to define and identify filler?"

My guess is that the band, if pressed, would classify as filler songs like Cedars or Being Born, but those are two of the standouts from NLOTH for me. And the songs they would hold up as standouts, like Boots or Crazy Tonight, are songs that I really can't stand.

That's why all this relevance talk worries me. It makes me think that U2's definition of success is fundamentally different from mine.

You have some good points there. Often creativity is most poignant in the moment, not when it is overworked.  Write the songs, finish them, clean them up a little bit and then release them. But polishing them and polishing them for so long just turns into glitz and glammer, all of the impressionism is gone.

It would be really great to get a "U2 Organic and Raw" release, instead of "U2 with preservatives and extra sugar".

But it's not really about the level of production for me, but about style. Achtung Baby sounds very polished with nary a hint of being unfinished or raw, and it's my favorite U2 album by a mile. I'm more concerned with the band feeling the need to make more poppy and commercially-driven songs about rainbows, fun-fairs, and beams of light.

With much respect Exile, is it ok if I ask you why Achtung Baby is your favourite album by far?

And could I ask you to be more specific about rainbows, fun fairs, beams of light etc?  You are not referring to Beautiful Day are you? For me it was very powerful that U2 were able to sing about joy, having been through the sorrow. Achtung Baby had a lot of pain in it, not least because the band felt Edge's pain. But we are not created to live in pain for ever. There is always meant to be healing for pain, and that healing is joy. This is exactly what I see Beautiful Day as, the healing that comes after Wake up Dead Man.

There is an entire journey in U2's music and career, you have to be able to travel that whole journey and not stay in the pain. The pain is important and powerful for a season, but it cannot and should not last for ever, this would be simply, hell.

AB is my favorite album because the music, lyrics, and melodies are amazing. Also, it represents U2 at that moment in time when they were at their creative peak. Also, it resonates with me personally and where I was at during that time. It's a U2 album that, unlike the last few, I wouldn't be embarrassed to give to a younger friend as an intro to the band.

And call me a miserable b@$t@rd, but I just can't get excited about happy and joyful music, mainly because joy is so much harder to authetically portray. Songs like Crazy Tonight and its ilk are the equivalent to me of those Facebook memes that overly positive and often shallow people post about how we should all make lemonade when life gives us lemons....

Ok then. So why do you spend time in this forum if the U2 you think is worthy of respect passed away nearly two decades ago? I mean, I'd be spending  more time on that other bands website you mentioned above, I wouldn't even bother coming here, if I felt that way about U2's work over the past 15 years.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #106 on: March 01, 2013, 09:26:58 PM »
The problem is "Who gets to define and identify filler?"

My guess is that the band, if pressed, would classify as filler songs like Cedars or Being Born, but those are two of the standouts from NLOTH for me. And the songs they would hold up as standouts, like Boots or Crazy Tonight, are songs that I really can't stand.

That's why all this relevance talk worries me. It makes me think that U2's definition of success is fundamentally different from mine.

You have some good points there. Often creativity is most poignant in the moment, not when it is overworked.  Write the songs, finish them, clean them up a little bit and then release them. But polishing them and polishing them for so long just turns into glitz and glammer, all of the impressionism is gone.

It would be really great to get a "U2 Organic and Raw" release, instead of "U2 with preservatives and extra sugar".

But it's not really about the level of production for me, but about style. Achtung Baby sounds very polished with nary a hint of being unfinished or raw, and it's my favorite U2 album by a mile. I'm more concerned with the band feeling the need to make more poppy and commercially-driven songs about rainbows, fun-fairs, and beams of light.

With much respect Exile, is it ok if I ask you why Achtung Baby is your favourite album by far?

And could I ask you to be more specific about rainbows, fun fairs, beams of light etc?  You are not referring to Beautiful Day are you? For me it was very powerful that U2 were able to sing about joy, having been through the sorrow. Achtung Baby had a lot of pain in it, not least because the band felt Edge's pain. But we are not created to live in pain for ever. There is always meant to be healing for pain, and that healing is joy. This is exactly what I see Beautiful Day as, the healing that comes after Wake up Dead Man.

There is an entire journey in U2's music and career, you have to be able to travel that whole journey and not stay in the pain. The pain is important and powerful for a season, but it cannot and should not last for ever, this would be simply, hell.

AB is my favorite album because the music, lyrics, and melodies are amazing. Also, it represents U2 at that moment in time when they were at their creative peak. Also, it resonates with me personally and where I was at during that time. It's a U2 album that, unlike the last few, I wouldn't be embarrassed to give to a younger friend as an intro to the band.

And call me a miserable b@$t@rd, but I just can't get excited about happy and joyful music, mainly because joy is so much harder to authetically portray. Songs like Crazy Tonight and its ilk are the equivalent to me of those Facebook memes that overly positive and often shallow people post about how we should all make lemonade when life gives us lemons....

Ok then. So why do you spend time in this forum if the U2 you think is worthy of respect passed away nearly two decades ago? I mean, I'd be spending  more time on that other bands website you mentioned above, I wouldn't even bother coming here, if I felt that way about U2's work over the past 15 years.

Sorry, but I guess I just don't feel the need to justify my presence here to anyone. Oh, and if I had read The Old Man and the Sea in the early '50s and preferred A Farewell to Arms, would that be a problem for you?

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Child of Grace
  • There is no them, there's only us
« Reply #107 on: March 01, 2013, 11:24:25 PM »
Anyone who read The Old Man and the Sea in the 1950s and is also a U2 fan, well I'd be really impressed!  8)