Author Topic: Could U2's New Album Sell Less Then NLOTH ?  (Read 15821 times)

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
Re: Could U2's New Album Sell Less Then NLOTH ?
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2013, 12:05:26 PM »
They will only be F'ed if their own stunning lack of confidence and need for validation makes them shut the whole thing down. Otherwise, they could make the music they want to make, tour the warhorses, and still bring in bucketloads of profit.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2013, 12:08:25 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Really ? They are the furthest thing from f***** even if the album is a complete dud.

People will still flock to see them if they choose to tour.

They have more money today and guaranteed future income from royalties than can ever hope to spend, no matter how much of California's coastline edge wants to flatten.

They've just got off the back of the biggest tour in history, they don't need to prove they are a great live act again, it's there, set in stone. What matters is their artistry and that they have the chops to reinvent themselves again. If we don't get greatness, there won't be an album, simple as that.

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2013, 12:12:32 PM »
Yes, but Bono has made it clear his definition of "greatness" is measured by getting on radio and being played in clubs. He's yearning for popularity he's simply not going to get unless he's prepared to compromise the band's musical integrity to unrecognizable levels.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2013, 12:18:08 PM »
We as fans not getting an album isn't quite the same as saying the band is f***** if they don't put out a great album.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2013, 01:17:36 PM »
They've just got off the back of the biggest tour in history, they don't need to prove they are a great live act again, it's there, set in stone. What matters is their artistry and that they have the chops to reinvent themselves again. If we don't get greatness, there won't be an album, simple as that.

They haven't needed to prove they are a great live act since the 1980s.  They didn't need the ticket gross and attendance figures of 360 to prove that, but still they did it.  Why? the $$$$$$

I really don't expect reinvention by U2 at this stage of their career.  It's doable, but I don't expect to see it, and it's certainly not a prerequisite for U2 to continue recording and touring.  And are you really suggesting that NLOTH or Bomb were great albums?

« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 01:36:00 PM by Tumbling Dice »

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2013, 01:22:06 PM »
Yes, but Bono has made it clear his definition of "greatness" is measured by getting on radio and being played in clubs. He's yearning for popularity he's simply not going to get unless he's prepared to compromise the band's musical integrity to unrecognizable levels.

Not really.  Achtung Baby was extremely popular and they didn't compromise the band's musical integrity making it.

The reality is that if U2 make a truly great album again, it like as not will get played a lot on the radio.  I don't know about clubs though.

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2013, 02:07:27 PM »
I think it will do well (here) on the (German) album charts if the single is good. If it's great, it will do better still.
But the single itself might not do that well, regardless of the quality of the "a-side".

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2013, 02:10:58 PM »
Album sales are meaningless to ticket sales.

Adele plays 3,000 seaters.

360 proved it too, casual non album owning fans came out in their tens of thousands to hear the hits and take a leak during Unknown Caller.

Offline Droo

• don't expect, suggest
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2013, 02:14:55 PM »
Which is fine with me. I'd rather the casuals go pound sand during the rarities anyway. Their tremulous complaining during the deep cuts distracts.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2013, 02:17:45 PM »
Album sales are meaningless to ticket sales.

Adele plays 3,000 seaters.

360 proved it too, casual non album owning fans came out in their tens of thousands to hear the hits and take a leak during Unknown Caller.

Ya, Unknown Caller was a pi*s-party waiting to happen!

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2013, 03:01:06 PM »
I have said this before but if U2 really wants to sell albums, they should incorporate a copy of the album with every concert ticket purchased.

That would add only a minimal amount to the ticket price, and force everyone to listen to the album.  And to those who attend many concerts, they will have multiple copies and wil be forced to give it out as gifts to friends who don't watch concerts.  So it will give U2 a new audience.  Of course this will also drive album sales.

Cheers,

J

Offline bethere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2013, 03:08:43 PM »
I can safely say it will sell less copies than NLOTH....no matter how good it is. People just don't buy albums anymore they're too easy to download for free
I beg to differ. The rather mediocre Adele 21 album sold 10 Million copies woldwide in 2012. So its still doable. But in general, album sales are down. If u2 could shift 10 Million copies of their next album...that would deem it a BIG sucsess I would say, given todays album buying climate. Lets not forget, Most artists would kill to sell the amount of albums, in numbers that u2 would class as a failure. NLOTH was the 7th biggest selling albuum of 2009

Well, most people don't consider Adele 21 to be mediocre. In fact, its the best charting album in history roughly equal to Michael Jacksons Thriller. It would have sold as many or more albums as thriller had the music industry not collapsed. The point is that Adele 21 like Thriller is a FLUKE! You are unlikely to see any album sell anywhere close to that ever again. Its not at all reflective of the rest of the industry and simply a sign of how incredibly popular this one album is, which would have double the sales if the industry had not started to collapse back in 2001.

There were 35 different albums that sold 10 million or more copies worldwide from 2000 through 2006. There has only been ONE album though that has achieved 10 million or more in sales since 2006 and that is Adele 21.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2013, 03:12:32 PM »
I have said this before but if U2 really wants to sell albums, they should incorporate a copy of the album with every concert ticket purchased.

That would add only a minimal amount to the ticket price, and force everyone to listen to the album.  And to those who attend many concerts, they will have multiple copies and wil be forced to give it out as gifts to friends who don't watch concerts.  So it will give U2 a new audience.  Of course this will also drive album sales.

Cheers,

J

They should.  Prince did this with his new albums on tours in 2004 and 2007.

Problem is the giveaway itself doesn't make any money for the artist (let alone the record company), and U2 rather hope their new albums are going to *sell* well, and certainly better than NLOTH did.

Offline bethere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2013, 03:19:09 PM »
01. Adele - 21 - 9.2 million copies
02. Taylor Swift - Red - 3.8 million copies
03. One Direction - Up All Night - 3.6 million copies
04. Lana Del Rey - Born To Die - 2.9 million copies
05. One Direction - Take Me Home - 2.9 million copies
06. Mumford & Sons - Babel - 2.7 million copies
07. Pink - The Truth About Love - 2.4 million copies
08. Justin Bieber - Believe - 2.3 million copies
09. Coldplay - Mylo Xyloto - 2.2 million copies
10. Maroon 5 - Overexposed  - 2.0 million copies

U2 have got a lot more fans than Adele.

Or any band on that list.

Once again proving that small minds think in numbers

Commonsense alone tell you that U2 have more fans than any of those guys

But many U2 fans, like the rest of the general public, no longer buy music. Its only natural that when you can obtain something for free, you will stop purchasing it. Even some loyal U2 fans no longer buy the album. They still get it of course, a free digital copy from somewhere, or a CD burned, etc.

U2 have a legion of loyal and dedicated fans who will buy a copy of their new album - guaranteed.  Maybe not all, but most will.  This group probably accounts for most of the sales of NLOTH - which you say was a commercial success given market conditions.  However, NLOTH lacked the commercial selling point of a popular lead single or singles, unlike ATYCLB or Bomb, so if the next U2 album has a hit lead single, then it is likely to sell more to the general music buying public than NLOTH did.  This is the only reason, in my view, why the next U2 album may sell more than NLOTH.  If, however, the lead single of the next album flops like Boots did, then I suspect the sales figures of the next album will be similar to NLOTH - that is to say, seen as a failure by McGuinness & Co, but seen by you as a success.

Well, U2 had that same legion of fans when the POP album and the POPMART tour were launched in 1997. They were not enough to save U2 from what happened that year. NLOTH and 360 were massive successes compared to POP and POPMART.

Most of my friends are U2 fans and they get the album every time it comes out. The only thing is, they don't buy it, they obtain it for free.

Lets also remember that POP got just as much radio airplay as ATYCLB and HTDAAB yet it did not sell like those two albums did.

Another thing to remember is that the market has changed in just 3 years. The market place for albums in 2013 is even worse than it was in 2009. The top selling albums are on average selling 33% less than they were just 3 years ago.

It will take much more exposure and airplay to just be able to sell the same number of albums in 2013/2014 as you did in 2009.

Offline bethere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2013, 03:22:22 PM »
"Backs to the wall " ?????

Do we really believe Edge sipping Chardonnay in Malibu or Bono sipping Bordeaux in the South of France or adam enjoying a wee toke in jamaica or Larry scowling away in a pub drinking guinness while waiting for his next acting gig really feel their backs are against the wall ?

I didn't say that. I'm saying the album has to be great or they are f*****.

Why? The public didn't appear to like NLOTH but that didn't stop them from attending the 360 Tour in record numbers.

U2 could release whatever they want and still do well with live concerts regardless.

NLOTH was the 7th biggest selling album of 2009, so it was one of the most popular albums of the year with the public. U2 can't release anything they want and except great numbers on tour as POP and POPMART showed.