Author Topic: Won't the Real U2 Fans Please Stand Up?  (Read 8738 times)

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
Won't the Real U2 Fans Please Stand Up?
« on: March 12, 2013, 01:03:35 PM »
There's been a lot of talk about U2 fandom. Maybe—maybe too much talk....

Some people think that fans too young to have experienced U2 in all their '90s ironic glory and who discovered the band via Beautiful Day aren't real fans, and others feel as though unless one worships at the altar of City of Blinding Lights, he or she can't be a true devotee of the band. And the more measured among us have dismissed all this talk of real and fake fandom as silly by definition, since tastes are subjective and beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

But I actually do think there is a legitimate reason that a person's fandom could be questioned, and that is if there is officially-released U2 material out there and readily available that they simply have never bothered to hear or watch. For example, if someone hasn't heard Stateless or Always Forever Now, or if they've never watched Red Rocks or Rattle and Hum, then I think their fandom could be placed under suspicion. 

There may be obvious exceptions to this, such that someone may be given a pass for never having heard Cartoon World or Street Mission, but for my part, I can't imagine there being actual U2 material out there (that others fans talk about and even rave about) that I simply choose to ignore.

Discuss.

smee

Re: Won't the Real U2 Fans Please Stand Up?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2013, 01:54:20 PM »
I just think its great that a fan of any age gets into u2.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 02:24:12 PM »
I would agree with this. I may not understand someone taking ATYCLB/HTDAAB seriously, but if it's gets them into U2's back catalouge, etc, than i say good for 00's-U2.
In regards to not seeing all the DVD released concerts etc, i wouldn't say they aren't real fans per se, but skipping R&H cuz of the critical backlash and not giving it a viewing to make your mind up yourself would be illogical.
I know a woman over 50 that has seen U2 nearly 25 times since 84 and hadn't heard a single post-AB b-side, didn't even really care to seek them out, i find that very very odd but i wouldn't ever question her fandom.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 02:25:58 PM by @lmighty DS »

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 02:31:50 PM »
I'm one of the measured among us.  *btw, I measure 6 inches, so I guess that makes me an average fan.*

I would describe myself as a fan of the band but only because I'm a fan of specific periods in the band's history.  If U2 were basically their early years albums (1980-1983) and the 00s, then I probably wouldn't have become a U2 fan.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 02:34:02 PM »
ps. I haven't seen Red Rocks and I couldn't give a monkey's toss what anyone thinks about that.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 02:43:10 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If U2 were basically their early years albums (1980-1983) and the 00s, then I probably wouldn't have become a U2 fan.

this. i'd have a passing interest but not enough to see them in concert.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 02:53:55 PM »
If U2 were basically their early years albums (1980-1983) and the 00s, then I probably wouldn't have become a U2 fan.

this. i'd have a passing interest but not enough to see them in concert.

I'd probably think of them in a similar way to The Killers or Coldplay.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 03:04:10 PM »
Sure, whatever floats anyone's boat.  I will say, I know of one guy who's older than I am (and therefore was certainly old enough to know of U2 in their prime), who didn't really discover them until NLOTH/360.  And that's cool and all, but I kind of have to scratch my head in disbelief, like, "THIS is what got you into U2?  Not the Joshua Tree, or the Rattle and Hum movie, or Achtung Baby, or Zoo TV, or ATYCLB, or the Elevation Tour?"  And he's become a fanatic about them, and seems to love every part of their career, so it's not like there was something about them back then that he doesn't like.  He just legitimately went through years of their history without even knowing anything about them.  There's a part of me that kind of feels sorry for the guy, and he might even regret not having discovered them earlier.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2013, 03:08:14 PM »
To be honest, it was the Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle tour in 1989 that got me into the Rolling Stones.  It was the start of a long term love affair.  So I don't think it matters much what actually got somebody into an artist in the first place.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 03:12:34 PM »
Sure, sometimes it just hits you later than others.  It just surprised me, as high-profile as U2 have always been, that they'd somehow been under his radar for like 20 years of mainstream success.

Offline _acrobat

• Precious Stone
  • We live inside a dream
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 03:21:35 PM »
I repeat, will the real U2 fan please stand up? We're gonna have a problem here.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 03:30:54 PM »
Sure, sometimes it just hits you later than others.  It just surprised me, as high-profile as U2 have always been, that they'd somehow been under his radar for like 20 years of mainstream success.

True.  I mean, I was only 16 when I discovered the Stones.  So it's like young U2 fans on this forum discovering U2 through 360 when they were 16.  They're likely to remain fond of 360, even if they prefer U2's older work when they start to discover the back catalogue.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 03:38:01 PM »

True.  I mean, I was only 16 when I discovered the Stones.  So it's like young U2 fans on this forum discovering U2 through 360 when they were 16.  They're likely to remain fond of 360, even if they prefer U2's older work when they start to discover the back catalogue.

Exactly--being born too late to see a particular band in their prime is unavoidable in countless cases.  But this guy was in his 40's when he discovered U2 via NLOTH/360.  I mean, let that sink in.  Think of all of the stuff that had not just been out, but been on the charts, winning Grammys, all over radio, the Super Bowl, etc.  And he'd been way into Peter Gabriel for years, etc., so he was into their peak-year contemporaries.  I was just like, "how can you miss all of that stuff for 20 years?  And then discover them on a (imo) sub-par album and tour?"

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • I’m born again to the latest sound
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 03:40:54 PM »
What a hodgepodge non U2 fan I am.

I considered myself a casual fan until I saw them live and that wasn't until 360. I remember wanting to go see them when ATYCLB and Vertigo came out, but I wasn't quite at the "I'm free to go to concerts again" stage. Since 360, I consider myself a rabid fan, or as my kids have tagged me a U2 Fanatic.

I still haven't seen all the concert videos nor heard all the B sides or unreleased items. I'm not sure I want to so that I will have something to discover when they stop making new music. Which, if I believe the consensus of this forum, could be any day now, but certainly within the next 5-10 years.

I do love Red Rocks, Rattle & Hum and Slane.

I would have loved to have seen them live back in the day when I first heard NYD. Alas, where I was at that time - I had just stopped going to concerts regularly. I did not appreciate them nor pay much attention to new music for many years.  :o

So, according to the posters' criteria in this thread, I am not a U2 fan.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 03:41:54 PM »

Exactly--being born too late to see a particular band in their prime is unavoidable in countless cases.  But this guy was in his 40's when he discovered U2 via NLOTH/360.  I mean, let that sink in.  Think of all of the stuff that had not just been out, but been on the charts, winning Grammys, all over radio, the Super Bowl, etc.  And he'd been way into Peter Gabriel for years, etc., so he was into their peak-year contemporaries.  I was just like, "how can you miss all of that stuff for 20 years?  And then discover them on a (imo) sub-par album and tour?"

Maybe he'd just been too busy with work and family life and everything.