Author Topic: Won't the Real U2 Fans Please Stand Up?  (Read 8732 times)

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
  • Little and little they robbed and stole...
Re: Won't the Real U2 Fans Please Stand Up?
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2013, 04:24:54 PM »
My yardstick for measuring fandom is pretty simple: Ability to name all of U2's albums in chronological order + Owning all of said albums = True Fan.

I apply this with all bands. While I consider myself a " big fan" of Beastie Boys, I'm not a "true fan" because I don't own all of their albums.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2013, 04:27:27 PM »
I don't own Passengers, but then that's not a true U2 album.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2013, 04:38:12 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
My yardstick for measuring fandom is pretty simple: Ability to name all of U2's albums in chronological order + Owning all of said albums = True Fan.

I apply this with all bands. While I consider myself a " big fan" of Beastie Boys, I'm not a "true fan" because I don't own all of their albums.

go fix that now! the only ones that aren't 5 star are License To Ill and To The 5 Boroughs

Offline AJ

• Elevated
  • Vinyl Guru
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2013, 04:59:21 PM »
I got into U2 only 2 years ago. I have not seen Red Rock although I have the Cd. My fav album is ATYCLB.

Am I not a real fan ;)

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2013, 05:00:40 PM »
If you're alive and a fan of U2 then you're a real fan in my book. I bloody hate glory supporters though. 

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2013, 05:16:11 PM »
I bloody hate glory supporters though. 

Yeah, I bloody hate Man Utd supporters, too.

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
  • Little and little they robbed and stole...
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2013, 05:22:14 PM »

go fix that now! the only ones that aren't 5 star are License To Ill and To The 5 Boroughs

Still missing Hello Nasty  :o and The Mix Up. I will get me to an HMV ASAP.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2013, 05:27:29 PM »
As I mentioned in another thread, at one point I picked up pretty much anything with U2 music I didn't already have, including all the CD singles.  I did refrain from a few of the multiple Pop/ATYCLB singles.  Then I stopped buying singles entirely with HTDAAB.  And with NLOTH, I contented myself with the basic CD, and none of the deluxe versions.  I've also never really cared about the fan club releases.

Offline andrei

• Babyface
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2013, 05:30:02 PM »
I really don't think someones ages defines how big of a fan they are... I discovered Beautiful Day when I was 10 years old and it went from there... I now own every album, most DVDs, almost every single post Joshua Tree and have happily queued up for many hours to get up the front at the Vertigo and 360 shows.

If that doesn't make me a real fan then I'm not sure what does.

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Child of Grace
  • There is no them, there's only us
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2013, 06:06:00 PM »

I like your criteria.

Let's face it, some one is only considered a real fan when "you are as big a fan as me" and if they are a bigger fan then they are a "fanatic" and if they are a lesser fan then they are a "casual fan". There is of course one final category of fan, those who insist on calling large bodies of U2's work "crap", this category is known as the "anti-fan" (but hey, a fan none the less).
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 06:26:39 PM by Pasha »

Offline Drummer Boy

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Not walking away... gonna find a better line.
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2013, 06:18:27 PM »
I really don't think someones ages defines how big of a fan they are... I discovered Beautiful Day when I was 10 years old and it went from there... I now own every album, most DVDs, almost every single post Joshua Tree and have happily queued up for many hours to get up the front at the Vertigo and 360 shows.

Wise words.

I don't own a copy of Boy, that's my biggest sin.

But I have listened to Always Forever Now, more than once. Where does that place me?

Let's see... Garden Tart, I like your criteria.

I will buy a copy of Boy soon, so I can be considered a "real" fan.  ;)

Offline Drummer Boy

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Not walking away... gonna find a better line.
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2013, 06:36:47 PM »
P.S.: Does the fact that we're in this forum, answering this question, add some extra points?  :D

Offline andrei

• Babyface
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2013, 06:43:46 PM »

Wise words.

But I have listened to Always Forever Now, more than once. Where does that place me?

Well you know what to do next... go get yourself a copy! It really is a great album. My favourite allbums are Unforgettable Fire, Achtung Baby, Pop and HTDAAB so my taste really does vary.

Offline missey

• Child of Grace
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2013, 06:51:25 PM »
I'm also a "late bloomer".  While I'm certainly old enough to remember their first album, I never gave them much thought back then.  Then they released ATYCLB and the Boston DVD and I became obsessed.  Now I have over 100 bootleg CD's and DVD's and I don't go a day without listening to them.  I've also dragged my husband, sister, niece and nephew into my U2 world, and after seeing them live, they are all on the bandwagon as well.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2013, 06:53:08 PM »

Wise words.

Well you know what to do next... go get yourself a copy! It really is a great album. My favourite allbums are Unforgettable Fire, Achtung Baby, Pop and HTDAAB so my taste really does vary.

Go for the deluxe version.  The tracks from Three and Saturday Night are worth it.