Author Topic: Won't the Real U2 Fans Please Stand Up?  (Read 8740 times)

zootv

Re: Won't the Real U2 Fans Please Stand Up?
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2013, 07:09:00 PM »
If your reading this, then you're a real fan.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2013, 07:40:38 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm also a "late bloomer".  While I'm certainly old enough to remember their first album, I never gave them much thought back then.  Then they released ATYCLB and the Boston DVD and I became obsessed.  Now I have over 100 bootleg CD's and DVD's and I don't go a day without listening to them.  I've also dragged my husband, sister, niece and nephew into my U2 world, and after seeing them live, they are all on the bandwagon as well.

i really REALLY hope you didn't pay for any of those

U2Start.com

smee

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2013, 08:05:20 PM »
Sure, whatever floats anyone's boat.  I will say, I know of one guy who's older than I am (and therefore was certainly old enough to know of U2 in their prime), who didn't really discover them until NLOTH/360.  And that's cool and all, but I kind of have to scratch my head in disbelief, like, "THIS is what got you into U2?  Not the Joshua Tree, or the Rattle and Hum movie, or Achtung Baby, or Zoo TV, or ATYCLB, or the Elevation Tour?"  And he's become a fanatic about them, and seems to love every part of their career, so it's not like there was something about them back then that he doesn't like.  He just legitimately went through years of their history without even knowing anything about them.  There's a part of me that kind of feels sorry for the guy, and he might even regret not having discovered them earlier.
Maybe the guy in question, like me, has gone thro a moment of musical clarity. untill about 3 years ago......i had fooled myself into thinking i didnt need anymore than the handfull of music acts i was into to keep me entertained.
And for reasons unknown, i would just not allow myself to like certain acts, for no good reason at all. its not as tho i had checked them out or anything..i had follishly writen them off.
NOW.........i just cant get enuff new music (new as in, new to me...not modern music), but point being, some people do shut music acts out for no good reason, only to discover in later life...they had in fact only been cheating themselves

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2013, 12:07:30 AM »
who discovered the band via Beautiful Day aren't real fans

and others feel as though unless one worships at the altar of City of Blinding Lights, he or she can't be a true devotee of the band.

For example, if someone hasn't heard Stateless or Always Forever Now

1. I discovered the band through Beautiful Day

2. I worship at the altar of City Of Blinding Lights

3. Stateless is one of my favorite U2 songs.  Always Forever Now is also great.

Does that make me half of a real fan?

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2013, 12:14:39 AM »
who discovered the band via Beautiful Day aren't real fans

and others feel as though unless one worships at the altar of City of Blinding Lights, he or she can't be a true devotee of the band.

For example, if someone hasn't heard Stateless or Always Forever Now

1. I discovered the band through Beautiful Day

2. I worship at the altar of City Of Blinding Lights

3. Stateless is one of my favorite U2 songs.  Always Forever Now is also great.

Does that make me half of a real fan?

Just to clarify: None of these are my views, they're just made-up criteria that do reflect in some ways the opinions of people here.

It seems to me that if we're going to talk about levels of fandom, we may as well have an objective way to do it. There's no way to measure who likes the band more, but we can say that someone who has never heard October is less likely to be taken seriously around here than most others.

PS - And cheer up, you're 5/6 of a fan.

surit87

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2013, 01:56:11 AM »
I live in an Asian country, so chances are that I'll never see them live. I don't have CDs of all U2 albums, I've downloaded their mp3s (legally) and almost ruined my ipod listening to them. I don't listen to any other artists (except the rare occasion of Johnny Cash). My mom and bro are pretty much sick and tired of me listening to U2 all the time when I'm home and not at job. I've watched borrowed DVDs of Popmart, Elevation (Slane castle), Rattle and Hum, Rose Bowl and Vertigo Live in Chicago more than a dozen times. I've watched the ZooTv dvd, which I own, a thousand times and ruined my dvd player with it (I'm gonna fix the d**** thing and run it again). Whenever I'm called to preach a sermon in my church, I quote Bono frequently and people look at each other, 'who's Bono?'
So you see even though I don't own all the cds and never been to their concerts, I eat, sleep and breathe U2. I leave it to other fans to decide if I'm a fan.
Cheers!

Offline TongueInMyEar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Love it won't be long....
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2013, 03:05:04 AM »
I really dislike the bickering and comments on "you can't be a serious U2 fan" etc etc...
Can we not just accept that there will be people who love different eras of the band, some who love all eras?

As for me, I own all official U2 albums and dvds, but I don't own Passengers or Million Dollar Hotel (the latter is in the post, the former I plan on buying very soon, but I've heard most of it anyway). I've only seen them live once, but only had 2 opportunities to see them in Glasgow since I've been a fan, and 2nd time I was abroad. Next tour I'll be scrambling for tickets like most here.

My favourite album is Achtung Baby, but depending on what mood I'm in I can go through spells of only listening to 80's U2, or only 90's or 00's, that's part of the reason they're my favourite band, I can get different things from all their albums.

But I don't exclusively listen to U2, infact I can go months without putting on a U2 album, but I'll always come back to them.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 03:18:36 AM by TongueInMyEar »

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Child of Grace
  • There is no them, there's only us
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2013, 04:53:38 AM »
I really dislike the bickering and comments on "you can't be a serious U2 fan" etc etc...
Can we not just accept that there will be people who love different eras of the band, some who love all eras?

As for me, I own all official U2 albums and dvds, but I don't own Passengers or Million Dollar Hotel (the latter is in the post, the former I plan on buying very soon, but I've heard most of it anyway). I've only seen them live once, but only had 2 opportunities to see them in Glasgow since I've been a fan, and 2nd time I was abroad. Next tour I'll be scrambling for tickets like most here.

My favourite album is Achtung Baby, but depending on what mood I'm in I can go through spells of only listening to 80's U2, or only 90's or 00's, that's part of the reason they're my favourite band, I can get different things from all their albums.

But I don't exclusively listen to U2, infact I can go months without putting on a U2 album, but I'll always come back to them.

I agree that people should be free to like different eras more than others. The thing that really annoys me is when some people insist on calling the albums of the 2000s crap. This is offensive to those of us who really like the 2000s. I only question someone's motives when they are so insistent on being so derisive.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2013, 11:17:49 AM »

I agree that people should be free to like different eras more than others. The thing that really annoys me is when some people insist on calling the albums of the 2000s crap. This is offensive to those of us who really like the 2000s. I only question someone's motives when they are so insistent on being so derisive.

But if their not liking the '00s bothers you, I'm sure your not liking that they don't like the '00s bothers them (so if they can't criticize U2, why do you get to criticize them with impunity?).

Physician, heal thyself....

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2013, 11:49:44 AM »
Yeah really.

You know if you can't live with people having opinions that bother you then may I suggest withdrawing from civilization?

You will ALWAYS find people whose opinions conflict with yours and you may find reprehensible.

Whether its those of neo nazis, pro lifers, Westboro baptist, atheists, wiccans, LDS, communists, etc.

Yes I think HTDAAB is a steaming turd. Yes I am a U2 fan. Deal with it.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2013, 12:01:22 PM »
Yes I think HTDAAB is a steaming turd. Yes I am a U2 fan. Deal with it.

OK, now you've crossed a line. It is definitely not steaming, it is festering. Festering.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2013, 12:04:47 PM »
And I don't dislike HTDAAB--I actually like a lot of it, except for a few of the songs.  Oddly, I am in no way offended by the fact you don't agree with me.  Perhaps I'M not the real fan!   :o

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2013, 01:27:07 PM »
Hmmmm...Under the Discography/Album page the "official" U2 site lists the Wide Awake In America EP. If so, why does it exclude U23 (included in SINGLES category) and U27 (not included anywhere?) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I do now have CD singles, but no Passengers, or Million Dollar Hotel Soundtrack, or U23 - yet. However, I do have the CD single of U27.  ;)

I also have the AB SD, and all the available Remasters Boy, October, War, UABRS, TUF, TJT.

All this, just to muddy the murk further.  ;)

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2013, 01:38:51 PM »
I'm not sure if U23 is technically considered a single or an EP.  U27 was basically a Target-only release, so it may not be considered an "official" release, as it was a compilation of already-available b-sides.

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Numb
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2013, 01:51:28 PM »
If the regular posters on here represent their biggest and best fans, I'm concerned.   I read A LOT of self-important posts on here.