Author Topic: Won't the Real U2 Fans Please Stand Up?  (Read 8737 times)

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Child of Grace
  • There is no them, there's only us
Re: Won't the Real U2 Fans Please Stand Up?
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2013, 02:14:35 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I really dislike the bickering and comments on "you can't be a serious U2 fan" etc etc...
Can we not just accept that there will be people who love different eras of the band, some who love all eras?

As for me, I own all official U2 albums and dvds, but I don't own Passengers or Million Dollar Hotel (the latter is in the post, the former I plan on buying very soon, but I've heard most of it anyway). I've only seen them live once, but only had 2 opportunities to see them in Glasgow since I've been a fan, and 2nd time I was abroad. Next tour I'll be scrambling for tickets like most here.

My favourite album is Achtung Baby, but depending on what mood I'm in I can go through spells of only listening to 80's U2, or only 90's or 00's, that's part of the reason they're my favourite band, I can get different things from all their albums.

But I don't exclusively listen to U2, infact I can go months without putting on a U2 album, but I'll always come back to them.

I agree that people should be free to like different eras more than others. The thing that really annoys me is when some people insist on calling the albums of the 2000s crap. This is offensive to those of us who really like the 2000s. I only question someone's motives when they are so insistent on being so derisive.

But if their not liking the '00s bothers you, I'm sure your not liking that they don't like the '00s bothers them (so if they can't criticize U2, why do you get to criticize them with impunity?).

Physician, heal thyself....
Must they be so vocal about it? Why not hate quietly?

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2013, 02:19:30 PM »
If the regular posters on here represent their biggest and best fans, I'm concerned.   I read A LOT of self-important posts on here.   
If the regular posters on here represent their biggest and best fans, I'm concerned.   I read A LOT of self-important posts on here.   

^
Exhibit A

northstarjo

« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2013, 02:22:42 PM »
ps. I haven't seen Red Rocks and I couldn't give a monkey's toss what anyone thinks about that.

gasp....

;D

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2013, 02:23:22 PM »
I really dislike the bickering and comments on "you can't be a serious U2 fan" etc etc...
Can we not just accept that there will be people who love different eras of the band, some who love all eras?

As for me, I own all official U2 albums and dvds, but I don't own Passengers or Million Dollar Hotel (the latter is in the post, the former I plan on buying very soon, but I've heard most of it anyway). I've only seen them live once, but only had 2 opportunities to see them in Glasgow since I've been a fan, and 2nd time I was abroad. Next tour I'll be scrambling for tickets like most here.

My favourite album is Achtung Baby, but depending on what mood I'm in I can go through spells of only listening to 80's U2, or only 90's or 00's, that's part of the reason they're my favourite band, I can get different things from all their albums.

But I don't exclusively listen to U2, infact I can go months without putting on a U2 album, but I'll always come back to them.

I agree that people should be free to like different eras more than others. The thing that really annoys me is when some people insist on calling the albums of the 2000s crap. This is offensive to those of us who really like the 2000s. I only question someone's motives when they are so insistent on being so derisive.

But if their not liking the '00s bothers you, I'm sure your not liking that they don't like the '00s bothers them (so if they can't criticize U2, why do you get to criticize them with impunity?).

But Pasha, this is a FORUM.  People are allowed--ENCOURAGED--to express their opinions on these things.  In fact, that's the entire point of the site.  If you don't like hearing certain opinions, then the issue is with you, not them.  These are opinions on art--they are by nature subjective, and they are not meant to be opinions of you as a person.

I'm sorry, I just don't think you seem to understand the idea that we are all capable of expressing our own opinions--particularly on the MUSIC, as that is the main point here--and should not have to edit ourselves for fear of offending someone who doesn't agree.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2013, 02:35:12 PM »
I just think its great that a fan of any age gets into u2.

Agreed. Fans are fans, whether they like two songs or their entire catalogue. The diversity of fans and opinions is one of the things I love about being a fan.:)

zootv

« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2013, 03:08:16 PM »
OK I'm just gonna say it.... If you think that 2000's U2 is their best era musically then you're probably not a real fan. As a matter of fact, you probably have poor taste in music in general ;)

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2013, 03:19:28 PM »
OK I'm just gonna say it.... If you think that 2000's U2 is their best era musically then you're probably not a real fan. As a matter of fact, you probably have poor taste in music in general ;)

Oh no he di'int!!

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2013, 03:22:03 PM »

You never did look up the meaning of "forum" then huh ?

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2013, 03:23:36 PM »
We all need to consult with Jick. He likes to 'educate' people on everything and anything that is U2. According to him, we may be all 'newbies' as he like to put it. maybe he can tell us all what kind of fan we are.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2013, 03:29:44 PM »
All this discussion of "real fans" is pointless. Who exactly do you need to justify your musical tastes to? Musical is a personal thing and there's no point wasting time labelling yourself. If anyone tries to tell you you're not a real fan then they're probably a loser anyway and you'd be daft to waste your time listening to them. All this arguing about who's a bigger fan is a bit pathetic in truth and most people not invested in the argument would probably agree with that.

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Numb
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2013, 04:08:02 PM »

^
Exhibit A

You are absolutely right JTBaby.  I should have added "..including this one.".   Thanks for catching that.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2013, 04:09:33 PM »
You're most welcome! Cheers.

Offline Northern Soul

• Desert Rose
  • I'm not coming down...
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2013, 04:33:02 PM »
We all need to consult with Jick. He likes to 'educate' people on everything and anything that is U2. According to him, we may be all 'newbies' as he like to put it. maybe he can tell us all what kind of fan we are.

Oh that's easy.  According to him, as long as you don't like Pop, you're a fan.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2013, 05:35:07 PM »

Oh that's easy.  According to him, as long as you don't like Pop, you're a fan.

And you cant be a real fan unless you believe sales figures and Grammy are a sign of real quality.

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Child of Grace
  • There is no them, there's only us
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2013, 05:42:40 PM »
I'm the kind of person who likes to enjoy things that are new and creative. I also enjoy the nostalgic. I'm not actually trying to rank which is better.

Essentially if you insist time and time again on calling Atomic Bomb crap, when you have made your point, after a while it just becomes impolite, childish behaviour. Call it what ou want, but it is certainly not respectful. A lot of you guys here act like high school students, whether it is me you are talking to or Jick or bethere. Try having friendly, respectful conversation for a change. JTBaby, you are by far the most sarcastic and rudest person on this forum.