Author Topic: Won't the Real U2 Fans Please Stand Up?  (Read 8742 times)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: Won't the Real U2 Fans Please Stand Up?
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2013, 05:47:43 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm the kind of person who likes to enjoy things that are new and creative. I also enjoy the nostalgic. I'm not actually trying to rank which is better.

Essentially if you insist time and time again on calling Atomic Bomb crap, when you have made your point, after a while it just becomes impolite, childish behaviour. Call it what ou want, but it is certainly not respectful. A lot of you guys here act like high school students, whether it is me you are talking to or Jick or bethere. Try having friendly, respectful conversation for a change. JTBaby, you are by far the most sarcastic and rudest person on this forum.

;D Gotta agree with you there, mate.

Having said that, I like having him around and he adds to what makes this forum what it is. 

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2013, 05:48:31 PM »
I'm glad I have made an impression !

Cheers!

J

zootv

« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2013, 06:09:34 PM »
I just want to add that Atomic Bomb is crap. I really don't believe that, I just wanted to say it.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 06:11:45 PM by zootv »

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Numb
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2013, 06:22:06 PM »
I'm the kind of person who likes to enjoy things that are new and creative. I also enjoy the nostalgic. I'm not actually trying to rank which is better.

Essentially if you insist time and time again on calling Atomic Bomb crap, when you have made your point, after a while it just becomes impolite, childish behaviour. Call it what ou want, but it is certainly not respectful. A lot of you guys here act like high school students, whether it is me you are talking to or Jick or bethere. Try having friendly, respectful conversation for a change. JTBaby, you are by far the most sarcastic and rudest person on this forum.

It would be nice if the moderators of this forum could step up and do something about it.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2013, 06:25:58 PM »
If this is how much your panties get in a bundle over what is essentially an alcohol free on line bar, I shudder to think how you handle reality.

Major facepalms.

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2013, 08:09:35 PM »
Sure, whatever floats anyone's boat.  I will say, I know of one guy who's older than I am (and therefore was certainly old enough to know of U2 in their prime), who didn't really discover them until NLOTH/360.  And that's cool and all, but I kind of have to scratch my head in disbelief, like, "THIS is what got you into U2?  Not the Joshua Tree, or the Rattle and Hum movie, or Achtung Baby, or Zoo TV, or ATYCLB, or the Elevation Tour?"  And he's become a fanatic about them, and seems to love every part of their career, so it's not like there was something about them back then that he doesn't like.  He just legitimately went through years of their history without even knowing anything about them.  There's a part of me that kind of feels sorry for the guy, and he might even regret not having discovered them earlier.
Maybe the guy in question, like me, has gone thro a moment of musical clarity. untill about 3 years ago......i had fooled myself into thinking i didnt need anymore than the handfull of music acts i was into to keep me entertained.
And for reasons unknown, i would just not allow myself to like certain acts, for no good reason at all. its not as tho i had checked them out or anything..i had follishly writen them off.
NOW.........i just cant get enuff new music (new as in, new to me...not modern music), but point being, some people do shut music acts out for no good reason, only to discover in later life...they had in fact only been cheating themselves

I like all kinds of music and not just rock. 

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2013, 08:27:32 PM »
Maybe any member who cares to can start their own thread wherein nobody can disagree with them?

"I like HTDAAB!"
"Ok, me too!"
"Also me!"

And so on.  We can effectively each create our own happy place!

Offline Blue Silken Sky

• Elevated
  • What are the feelings you left behind?
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2013, 08:55:52 PM »
I'm not too worried about anyone else's criteria of what makes a real fan. Even if you don't like the same songs/records that I like, I still get to enjoy them when I listen to then, right? And my disdain for that rarity you love shouldn't dissipate its impact on you, either.

I also tend to think that if we met at a U2 show, I'd probably like you all very much. It's easy to bait each other with snarkasm and one-upsmanship on the forum, and it would be a dull place if people didn't get overexcited and huffy once in a while.  But if you're the kind of person who, in a face-to-face meeting, would look down your nose at someone just because they've been singing the wrong lyrics to 30-year-old song for 20 years...well, I probably wouldn't like you actually, but you can still be a fan.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2013, 09:11:56 PM »
I'm not too worried about anyone else's criteria of what makes a real fan. Even if you don't like the same songs/records that I like, I still get to enjoy them when I listen to then, right? And my disdain for that rarity you love shouldn't dissipate its impact on you, either.

I also tend to think that if we met at a U2 show, I'd probably like you all very much. It's easy to bait each other with snarkasm and one-upsmanship on the forum, and it would be a dull place if people didn't get overexcited and huffy once in a while.  But if you're the kind of person who, in a face-to-face meeting, would look down your nose at someone just because they've been singing the wrong lyrics to 30-year-old song for 20 years...well, I probably wouldn't like you actually, but you can still be a fan.

Truth.  A friend of mine long ago was a U2 fan as well, and I was endlessly amused to learn, back in the day, that he thought the lyrics to Mysterious Ways were "you've been running underground, eating from a CAT."  We sang it that way knowingly during Zoo TV.  So now I occasionally like to sing it that way, myself.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2013, 09:17:29 PM »
I'm not sure if U23 is technically considered a single or an EP.  U27 was basically a Target-only release, so it may not be considered an "official" release, as it was a compilation of already-available b-sides.

Thanks for the info Johnny. I didn't know that. :)

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2013, 09:18:06 PM »
ps. I haven't seen Red Rocks and I couldn't give a monkey's toss what anyone thinks about that.

gasp....

;D

Double gasp!!

Jo's here, folks!! Hooray! :)

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
  • Little and little they robbed and stole...
« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2013, 09:21:42 PM »
^ Double hooray!!

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2013, 09:28:27 PM »
^ Double hooray!!

^ Group hug!! (( group ))

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
  • Little and little they robbed and stole...
« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2013, 09:34:59 PM »
^ Double hooray!!

^ Group hug!! (( group ))

Awww! ((((((BIG GROUP HUG))))))

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2013, 11:44:47 PM »

It would be nice if the moderators of this forum could step up and do something about it.

This forum is about all sorts of opinions and it is about debating these and that is encouraged. The trick is accepting different points of view exist - life in this place becomes easier. That said the mods do intervene when the 'how' of the conversation gets pushed. For me it is simple - be civil and respect the fact a different point of view can exist out with your own

Reacting...always gets the reaction. Goading and some of the other tiresome stuff I've seen recently is not on and there are a few members walking a very thin line in terms of their on going participation. That said there are other threads where balanced discussion and more mature behaviour exist and it may be a better option to post there.

So enough of the mod intervention and on with the discussion...
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 11:50:07 PM by singnomore »