Author Topic: You may NOT want to read this review......you've been warned!  (Read 4851 times)

Offline Nagrom99

• Numb
  • I'm 25, trying to stay alive.....
Re: You may NOT want to read this review......you've been warned!
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2009, 07:24:10 PM »
Exactly Ocean....is Bono really that bad a guy?  Someone should ask some of these people how much money they've raised for children who are starving and sick.  I don't mean to sound all mushy but..........it really chaps my ass sometimes.

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2009, 07:30:55 PM »
Right, those are the people who prob dont do so much. You know Bono could sit around rich and lazy like a lot of rock stars but he chooses to work, a lot and he sets a good example to young people around the world I think. He grew up poor, chased his dreams, and now he's paying back. I dont idolize him or anything but I think he's one great guy who really loves life.

Offline Bono in Bonolands

• Numb
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2009, 07:40:22 PM »
Why are the reviews so inconsistent?

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2009, 07:42:25 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Because people have different tastes.

Offline Nagrom99

• Numb
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2009, 07:45:47 PM »
I think it's a challenging record.  Some people are going to hate it.  I hate anything The Beatles....people think I'm sick in the head.  I always remember that when people cut up u2 or their records. 
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 07:47:50 PM by Nagrom99 »

Offline Messenger

• Running to Stand Still
  • The universe is beautiful but cold.
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2009, 07:46:50 PM »
Let Johnnie Craig listen to it a few more times and maybe he won't be calling it disjointed like it's a bad thing.

Offline Nagrom99

• Numb
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2009, 07:48:51 PM »
Love The Dude!

Offline sneaky neil

• Stateless
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2009, 07:49:49 PM »

I think the reviews have been pretty damn consistant with a few anomolies.

At this point in the game, there could be people who don't like U2 or Bono for personal reasons and write a review that reflects that. No one is impartial. Saying that, it could very well be someone who has different tastes and simply doesn't like the album but who cares? Everyone will decide for themselves.

Offline Nagrom99

• Numb
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2009, 07:55:05 PM »
Some people don't like albums because they really suck.  Think....K-Fed - Playing with Fire.  Pure torture.  I think we all know that this album, based on what we've heard and read, isn't going to suck.  But, people won't like it.  People didn't like Achtung either.  I'd say it did ok.

Offline B

• Stateless
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2009, 08:19:50 PM »
True ... when AB came out, not everyone was crazy about it. Me included. It took years to realize its greatness. At the time, I thought the lyrics weren't too great and some songs just familiar -- Ultraviolet=Pride, Outro in End of the World much too long, Even Better=throwaway, Acrobat=redundant drum fill, Cruel=filler, Tryin to Throw=filler ... however, the very first time I heard One, I said to myself, This song will be heard in 100 years, right along side the best classics from the Stones.

NLOTH will take years to fully appreciate; gosh, think of POP -- finally it seems to get the praise it deserves -- only took 12 years.

Michael

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2009, 08:28:04 PM »
That review sucked.  Period.  There is definitely a lot of hype - so much so there is nothing they (U2) could do to live up to it; which will inevitably result in some people feeling unsatisfied and dissapointed.  But allow me to voice my opinion this way:  I don't remember burning the 45 second preview clips of HTDAAB to a CD so I could listen while I drove like I have with NLOTH.  If the clips are the worst or the best of the album, it's better than anything else I've heard lately.

shockdocta22

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2009, 08:33:01 PM »
at least we know that this is not a one song album, reviewers love different songs

luieu2

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2009, 08:43:56 PM »
Review: U2 – No Line On The Horizon
By Johnnie Craig on Monday, 16 February 200911 Comments | Print this post
Review: U2 – No Line On The Horizon

(Interscope)

The commentators are saying that Ireland needs an Obama-like icon to lift us out of our current economic and social gloom; a figurehead to inspire celebration, to provide a pointer to a new and promising horizon. Well, wherever there’s a cause, there’s usually Bono and co. providing the timely, rousing, crowd-pleasing soundtrack. They’ve got the whole world in their hands, after all. Could U2’s 12th studio album be that flagship of hope, sailing us bravely away from these troubled waters?

Sadly, it just doesn’t sound that way. If anything, it’s as hesitant and directionless as the rest of us; in that sense, they’ve hit the zeitgeist square on the head. But, as an entity, No Line On The Horizon may be U2’s most disjointed album yet.

Perhaps too many songwriters and producers spoiled the broth (Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois have their hands in practically everything here); maybe jumping from studio to far-flung studio got in the way of continuity; or it could be that the world and all its woes provided Bono with too many distractions from the day job. Whatever the reason, this plays like a record without a real master plan.

It certainly begins positively enough. The title track cries “we are back” from the rooftops with its cinematic bravura, kitsch 1960s’ piano, rumbling bassline and its shoulder-shimmying, air-punching rhythm, which distantly recalls ‘The Fly’; if only this had been the last Bond theme. Better still is track two, ‘Magnificent’, an archetypal U2 thriller/stomper with one of the best riffs The Edge has produced in aeons, complete with Chris Rea-like guitar solo. It’s a mighty opening brace, but it’s also the point at which the plot starts to lose its way.

The effortful ‘Moment Of Surrender’, at over seven minutes long, is a strained ballad with gospel aspirations that suffers badly from delusions of grandeur and cod-religious preaching. The similarly grandiose ‘Unknown Caller’ also thuds along under swathes of worthy lyrical emptiness: “On the edge of the known universe where I wanted to be/ I had driven to the scene of the accident / And I sat there waiting for me”. Quite.

There’s momentary respite on the Steve Lillywhite-produced ‘I’ll Go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight’, a Joshua Tree-era standard where, despite his cringe-inducing falsetto, Bono gets almost charmingly self-deprecating: “The right to appear ridiculous is something I hold dear”. He repeats the trick on the otherwise banal ‘Stand Up Comedy’, with the line “Napoleon is in high heels/ Josephine, be careful of small men with big ideas”.

But it’s the album’s latter half where the big ideas fail to reach constructive conclusions, and where production appears to plug the staggering dearth of melody. First off, the clumsy and hasty lead single ‘Get On Your Boots’ is easily amongst U2’s most forgettable moments. However, far more aggravating is the presumed notion that the wearisome, Eno-centric filler ‘FEZ – Being Born’ is somehow overtly experimental. It’s certainly spacey and dreamy but it’s completely without context on this album. And, with Bono’s relentless “ohs” becoming more emphatic and, as a consequence, less meaningful, it raises more awkward questions than it wants to ask. ‘White As Snow’ takes a traditional melody into pleasantly explorative territory, with some success; but ‘Breathe’, the other Lillywhite production on here, is a messy piece of stadium-rock melodrama, which only menaces the listener into indifference.

Finally, ‘Cedars Of Lebanon’, a semi-spoken, Lanois-produced mood piece with obliquely political aspirations, falls prey to some woeful rhyming-dictionary couplets – who will fail to wince each time they hear “Now I’ve got a head like a lit cigarette/ Unholy clouds reflecting in a minaret”? As an album closer, it leaves something of a sour taste.

There’s no doubting that U2 devotees will still lap this album up and that it’ll fly off supermarket shelves like freshly baked doughnuts. But after a four-year wait, is this really the best record the world’s biggest band can make? If No Line On The Horizon had been the ‘difficult’ follow-up to an NME-hyped band’s over-achieving debut, we’d be gleefully dismantling their atomic career and waiting for them to bomb. The truth is (and ‘Magnificent’ proves the will is still there), U2 need to take a “never mind the bo****ks” approach and rediscover their knack for memorable, timeless classics. At least until then, there’s no end of filled stadiums on the horizon.
must be a cold play fan or an abba fan  ;)

Offline j2736 (i'm not a boy ! )

• Desert Rose
  • watch more television
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2009, 10:03:47 PM »
perhaps a Britney, Madonna or Miley fan. ;D

Offline tomwilks

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2009, 10:13:39 PM »
As a fan I always hear U2's music with a more generous ear than others around me (no one I know likes U2). As long as critics are not saying unanimously that the new album is lousy, then I'm pretty confident I'm going to enjoy it - especially after hearing the title track - which - in my mind, is already good enough to make this entire album a success even if nothing else is as good as it.

Even after all of the horrible reviews of Rattle and Hum, when I heard it the first time I couldn't understand what the critics were talking about. I listed to it addictively for a few months and learned how to play all of the songs on my guitar. So, in the end, I'm a fan - the reviews are not really going to matter much, as soon as I have the album in my hands.