Author Topic: Has any other band you've seen had a louder crowd than U2?  (Read 8742 times)

Offline bethere

• Running to Stand Still
Re: Has any other band you've seen had a louder crowd than U2?
« Reply #60 on: April 07, 2013, 04:51:45 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
To answer the OP's question....I think this concert footage of Van Halen circa 1982 at the 19:25 mark put us U2 audiences to shame for generations:

I assure you, the 84,750 people at the 360 Washington DC show in 2009 would crush the tiny Van Halen crowd of 15,000 at the Captital Center near Washington DC in 1982 in terms of total volume. By the way, the 360 show at FEDEX Field near Washington DC was the largest attended concert, or show ever in the Washington DC/Virginia/Maryland/Delaware area in history!

Today Van Halen can't even sellout an arena in the area, regardless if its Sammy or David singing. So much for nostalgia.

Offline bethere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2013, 04:57:25 AM »
you're looking for videos people have uploaded that were filmed in darkness of other people getting up form their seat to go the bathroom during a U2 concert.

good luck .

charge on

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

No, I'm looking for those half empty sections, the mass exodus during NLOTH songs. Not just someone going to the bathroom. By the way, there are youtube clips of people clapping, dancing to songs during the concert so even though its dark, you can still see that, plus the bands lighting lights up multiple sections of the stadium at times and even the entire stadium at others. Pretty easy to see all those alleged half empty sections due to NLOTH songs.
you're looking for videos people have uploaded that were filmed in darkness of other people getting up form their seat to go the bathroom during a U2 concert.

good luck .

charge on

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

No, I'm looking for those half empty sections, the mass exodus during NLOTH songs. Not just someone going to the bathroom. By the way, there are youtube clips of people clapping, dancing to songs during the concert so even though its dark, you can still see that, plus the bands lighting lights up multiple sections of the stadium at times and even the entire stadium at others. Pretty easy to see all those alleged half empty sections due to NLOTH songs.

good luck .

charge on

Go ahead. See how many people filmed dark empty seats and draw a conclusion.

Charge on Don.

The lighting that the band has during every song insures that you will see every part of the stadium lit up at some point during the songs, which would easily allow you to see if this mass exodus is happening during NLOTH songs. Plus, its not that anyone would be directly filming it, but it would show up in the clip regardless given the distance from the stage and the angle of the view.

I didn't see any half empty sections or mass exodus from the stadium during NLOTH songs at the 3 shows I was at, and I have yet to come across any youtube videos that would show that. 

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #62 on: April 07, 2013, 07:26:06 AM »
Don't be daft.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #63 on: April 07, 2013, 07:27:27 AM »
2,000 people in a small indoor venue can be louder than 90,000 in a monolith like the Rose Bowl.

Offline bethere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #64 on: April 07, 2013, 12:25:52 PM »
2,000 people in a small indoor venue can be louder than 90,000 in a monolith like the Rose Bowl.

True, but that is due to the venue, not the people.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #65 on: April 07, 2013, 12:28:15 PM »

As would the Van Halen crowd you referenced

" I assure you, the 84,750 people at the 360 Washington DC show in 2009 would crush the tiny Van Halen crowd of 15,000 at the Captital Center near Washington DC in 1982 in terms of total volume"

Offline bethere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #66 on: April 07, 2013, 12:55:09 PM »

As would the Van Halen crowd you referenced

" I assure you, the 84,750 people at the 360 Washington DC show in 2009 would crush the tiny Van Halen crowd of 15,000 at the Captital Center near Washington DC in 1982 in terms of total volume"

Thats still a true statement. Put the two groups in the same environment and there is no contest!

What you talking about is indoor vs outdoor shows, not who has the loudest crowd.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2013, 01:05:49 PM »
Yes 90000 people yelling is louder than 15000 yelling if in the same venue.

Was that really your point ?

This just in, the sun is hot.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2013, 11:46:42 PM »
Bethere, you seriously think anyone is gonna check out every YouTube clip of 360 for random audience shots to see how many people left their seats? How much free time do you got on your hands?

People got family's, jobs, lives to live. I would rather spend free time with my wife and kid or my friends then go through 360 clips looking for how many people left to take a pi*s during Unknown Caller (the ultimate pi*s break song).

Another thread Bethere's completely taken off the rails.

surit87

« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2013, 12:39:20 AM »
I've seen louder crowds. Iron Maiden and Pearl Jam were definately louder

Agree! Especially about Maiden, their shows are full of loud maniacal headbangers!

Offline bethere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2013, 08:25:18 AM »
Bethere, you seriously think anyone is gonna check out every YouTube clip of 360 for random audience shots to see how many people left their seats? How much free time do you got on your hands?

People got family's, jobs, lives to live. I would rather spend free time with my wife and kid or my friends then go through 360 clips looking for how many people left to take a pi*s during Unknown Caller (the ultimate pi*s break song).

Another thread Bethere's completely taken off the rails.

Well, you should have plenty of time indeed. If you just took a fraction of the time you spend talking about ME, that would be more than enough.

Offline U2-obsessed and proud

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Let The Rain come down, make a brand new ground
« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2013, 10:58:04 AM »
I've only seen Coldplay, Sara Bareilles (2x, soon to be 3x in two weeks!), Maroon 5 and Chris Webby (2x) in concert, so I really haven't been fully immersed with other bands and their crowds.  But to answer the question, no.  I was in the pit at the Philly U2360 concert and that was the loudest few hours of my life.

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2013, 07:43:52 PM »
For me, no.  Probably because of the decade that I attended other rock concerts.

I loved the energy of the crowd at U2.  Everyone had a good time, including me.   My husband and I, are middle aged.  And it was the time of our lives.  We sang and cheered right along with everyone else.

I've seen a few concerts in my days, but U2 was the best.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 07:45:39 PM by Inishfree »