Author Topic: Aren't these guys supposed tob be ROCK STARS?  (Read 10199 times)

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
Re: Aren't these guys supposed tob be ROCK STARS?
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2008, 12:26:20 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have to say people expect too much of these 'Rock Stars'.Always looking to dig up the dirt or find fault in something good that they have acheived.I have to admire Bono and the guys for helping the less fortunate in the world.So what if Bono was pictured with some teen babes.Would you prefer if he was pictured with a needle in his arm ???

Are those my only two choices? 

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008, 06:42:17 AM »
I have to say people expect too much of these 'Rock Stars'.Always looking to dig up the dirt or find fault in something good that they have acheived.I have to admire Bono and the guys for helping the less fortunate in the world.So what if Bono was pictured with some teen babes.Would you prefer if he was pictured with a needle in his arm ???

Are those my only two choices? 

:D  :D  :D

OK, I don't have a whole lot of intelligent things to say, but I thought your comment was very funny U2yooper.

And Eilish, of course we expect a lot of these rock stars, we expect a lot of celebrities in general. That's the price of fame, you just can't do anything you want, anytime you want and expect everyone to be cool with it.

Now how about this? I like this picture of Bono.  ;)

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008, 10:22:59 AM »
And Eilish, of course we expect a lot of these rock stars, we expect a lot of celebrities in general. That's the price of fame, you just can't do anything you want, anytime you want and expect everyone to be cool with it.

/Rant on

Why does anyone expect anything of rock stars and/or anyone else who is considered a celebrity? 

For me, a rock star captures my attention when he/she performs either on stage or via released material.  An actor or actress captures my attention with their performance on screen or stage.  What they do outside of these vehicles is of no interest to me though I tip my hat to those who get involved in charity work. The fact that a high percentage of these "stars" get involved for the positive press is not lost on me. 

I honestly don't understand why many feel compelled to follow the lives of celebrities as if they are any more interesting than your neighbors and friends.  They aren't.  They simply do their work in an environment that is more public than what most of us are exposed to.  They live with the same standards that we all do.  They live with a camera in their face 24x7 because people are obsessed with them, not because their lives are any more interesting than our own.

Just my opinion.   8)

/Rant off

Offline u2yooper

• Airborne Ranger
  • Life should be fragrant- rooftop to the basement
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2008, 10:48:04 AM »
Well, said, Joe90usa.  However, what makes you think we follow their lives with any more interest than our friends and neighbors?  There are celebrities, (like Edge, Larry, and Adam) who maintain private lives, and celebrities (like Bono) who are always in front of a camera.  I have no burning interest in their private lives, but Bono has put himself out there, in this case, with teenage girls in bikinis.  I'm not imagining anything lurid went on, and it's none of my business, but he can't expect to pose for pictures and not get some reaction.  If I saw a photo of my neighbor posing with half-dressed teenagers on his lap, I'd be talking about that, too. (Not that that's too likely.  You should see my neighbor!)  I'm grateful for the music Bono gives us and  deeply admire the charity work he does, but I don't think there's anything wrong with commenting on a very public photo.  And hey, at least he doesn't have a needle in his arm!  (That was kind of random, Eilish.   :))
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 11:20:02 AM by u2yooper »

Offline Starfish

• Acrobat
  • Yay, it's Larry!!!
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2008, 01:12:22 PM »
OK, I admit my comment regarding celebrities was one sided and rather opinionated.  ::)

I basically meant what U2yooper so eloquently explained.
Public figures, activists, people who try to get others to give to a cause, or promote an idea, will be scrutinized by the public in that field. Sad to say often people watch them double, waiting for them to screw up.
Bono says of U2 "We are filthy rich rock stars" then he moves his company (or whatever it's called) to another country, so he doesn't have to pay high taxes in Ireland, at the same time promoting One campaign, to fight poverty. I can see how that can raise questions in people's minds. If he's already filthy rich, why does he mind paying high taxes part of which goes to help the poor in his own country.
I personally don't have a problem with anything Bono does, but let's say if someone was strong on promoting family values, and then you see their picture in the paper with bikini babes their daughter's age, I'd have an issue with that, I think. 

People are interested in people. That's why we read the news, that's why read bios, that's why we want to know what's going on with people we love, admire, look up to, or what have you. Even here in this forum we talk about a lot more than just music. Check out "Your Ultimate U2 fantasy" thread, some posts have nothing to do with music (OK I admit, mine is one of them  :P )

SO. How was that for my defense?  ;D

Offline p8ru2

• Precious Stone
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2008, 02:43:57 PM »

LMAO!   :D  :D :D Bono with a Chimp mask! 
Too funny....that you/ we can tell its him!  ( the shoes and hand-holding the jacket are a dead giveaway)   ;D

shockdocta22

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2009, 07:52:28 PM »
That was the punk rock evolution, U2 fought back

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2009, 08:18:54 PM »
Its refreshing that they draw the line on whats right and wrong, and of course everyone is human but they are plenty respectable as a band..

Offline Starguitar

• Desert Rose
  • Thanks U2 & the 360 tour for the best night ever.
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2009, 08:42:31 PM »
If they would of done that, being stupid with drugs and partying, would we even have a U2 today? There's been so many bands that have broke up because member disagreements and when they get too wild...

Offline a Name for a Girl

• Precious Stone
  • mild and green and squeaky-clean
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2009, 10:39:28 PM »

LMAO!   :D  :D :D Bono with a Chimp mask! 
Too funny....that you/ we can tell its him!  ( the shoes and hand-holding the jacket are a dead giveaway)   ;D

Love it!  When was that taken?