Author Topic: Willie Williams: the album is ready but won't come out until 2014  (Read 10047 times)

Offline Quenchable Thirst

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • It's a private show, no one else's gonna know
I found this rumor on Interference and thought it may be worth discussing.

According to a user who claims has a friend that knows someone that knows Willie Williams, U2's stage designer, Willie has said U2 have already finished the album and that it's currently in post-production, but it won't come out this year because (wait for it...) they want to wait until Europe has "financially recovered" and because they want to take some time to "fool around and rest".

Here's the original post:

I have a little bit to tell you, guys.

A friend of mine is friends with RENE CASTRO.

Rene Castro is a chilean, and the guy that made the LOVETOWN "stage".

He told my friend over lunch the other day, that he met with Willie Williams at the airport recently, while Willie waited for another plane on his way to Brazil (he had a 6 hours waiting time)

They're friends, and they talked about life, and of course, about music.

Willie told him he would be working with the Rolling Stones this couple of years

and in the really brief time they talked about U2, Willie told him this:

U2 was stressed out with the 360 Tour. Because it was a struggle financially and it also wore them out a lot. They feel old, and Bono's back injury didn't make it easier for them. It was a huge tour, and, really, how can they top that?

So, next tour will be INDOORS only (at the time)

And the album is READY, just in post-production.

The album WON'T come out this year. They'll wait until 2014, waiting for Europe to recover financially. And also to fool around, rest, etc.

Then they'll release the album and also go on tour at the same time (ish).

And that's about it.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

And then there was this, again from the same user:

Ok, I may have said it wrong.
It's not for Europe to recover, but to Stabilize.
And I didn't said the tour was bad financially, I said it was stressing, because it wasn't cheap by any means.

I don't know, that's what my friend told me, and he's friends with Rene.

Let's hope the album comes out this year, or any year, really, I just hope it's a GOOD album.

Truth or BS?

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: Willie Williams: the album is ready but won't come out until 2014
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 08:27:45 AM »
According to a user who claims has a friend that knows someone that knows Willie Williams

LMAO!!

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 08:29:20 AM »
Willie has said U2 have already finished the album and that it's currently in post-production, but it won't come out this year because (wait for it...) they want to wait until Europe has "financially recovered"

We're going to have a bloody long wait then.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 08:34:09 AM »
Sorry, but let me know when we actually have some more believable news.

Offline Quenchable Thirst

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • It's a private show, no one else's gonna know
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 08:40:34 AM »
According to a user who claims has a friend that knows someone that knows Willie Williams

LMAO!!

I have it on good authority that Willie's hairdresser's ex wife's neighbor said they're aiming for a 2015 release. So there. Confirmed.

Sorry, but let me know when we actually have some more believable news.

That may take a while. Executioner hasn't been around for a few weeks.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 08:56:21 AM »
I found this rumor on Interference and thought it may be worth discussing.

According to a user who claims has a friend that knows someone that knows Willie Williams, U2's stage designer,

That's what, quadruple hearsay?

It certainly wouldn't be admissible in a court of law, that's for damn sure.

Offline zedg

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • *POP*
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 09:00:03 AM »
Nonsense.
They do wana chill for the meantime yes, since there are a few months before they want to release it - later in the year as usual.
The 'wait' would more likely relate to the tour heading to Europe.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 09:12:41 AM »
If that were the case they wouldn't have said 'we're aiming for a september release'. If the albums finished what are they waiting for? It's clearly not ready yet.

Offline The Stingray Guitar

• Refugee
  • You're in my mind all of the time,
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 10:58:32 AM »
This could be the dumbest rumor I've heard.

Why would U2 wait until Europe has financially stabilized/recovered, they're a band not stock brokers, and the album won't be in post-production if they're aiming for a September release, if they're aiming for a September release then the album won't have to be in post-production until about July.

Can someone please enlighten me on how a bunch of retracting economies in Europe can influence U2's decision on releasing an album?

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 11:04:55 AM »
Bob and Larry's take - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline stigman

• Party Girl/Boy
  • live is where we live
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 11:15:43 AM »
Boring

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2013, 11:39:27 AM »

Why would U2 wait until Europe has financially stabilized/recovered, they're a band not stock brokers, and the album won't be in post-production if they're aiming for a September release, if they're aiming for a September release then the album won't have to be in post-production until about July.

Can someone please enlighten me on how a bunch of retracting economies in Europe can influence U2's decision on releasing an album?

It will not influence their decision.

They embarked on an all-stadium tour with 360 during the biggest economic slump since the 1930s and sold out (or nearly sold out) virtually every show.  Certain aspects of show business and organised crime have traditionally done well during hard times, and the 360 tour was a bit of both.  The nearly 60% of young people in Spain who are unemployed or not in education didn't stop U2 playing massive stadium shows there on 360 and it won't stop the cheeky barks playing stadiums and charging extortionate prices for tickets on their next tour. 

Offline Smithy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2013, 11:56:30 AM »

It will not influence their decision.

They embarked on an all-stadium tour with 360 during the biggest economic slump since the 1930s and sold out (or nearly sold out) virtually every show.  Certain aspects of show business and organised crime have traditionally done well during hard times, and the 360 tour was a bit of both.  The nearly 60% of young people in Spain who are unemployed or not in education didn't stop U2 playing massive stadium shows there on 360 and it won't stop the cheeky barks playing stadiums and charging extortionate prices for tickets on their next tour. 

Exactly right was about to say the same thing, plus the fact that it is almost a certainty that they will do indoor shows which would mean in most cases half a capacity crowd of stadiums. They've released albums at roughly the same time for the past 30 years and had few delays and NLOTH was one of them and a notably regrettable one at that so I do not think they will do that a second time round.

(My prediction based on news over past year)

*I think that an album around the time of Sept-Nov is a safe bet, a few promo tours around the place but without overdoing it this time around and letting the music speak for itself and for anticipation for following tour to build over Holidays. Then an indoor tour to start 2014 along with a few appearances here and there, one probably at Grammys without a doubt. Tour to start around March then as time progresses, they will release an EP so that the tour can essentially be re-born and still be fresh as one of the main problems with 360 is that NLOTH was there main work to date so once audience didn't quite come to love it they just went to playing same old hits which is what I think will change this time round.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2013, 12:56:50 PM »
2013 or 2014, doesnt matter to me. Just gimme a damn good product with no Lillywhitewashing.

Offline _acrobat

• Precious Stone
  • We live inside a dream
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 01:22:01 PM »
2013 or 2014, doesnt matter to me. Just gimme a damn good product with no Lillywhitewashing.

Yeah I can wait anothe year. I'd rather have a good album in 12 months than a mediocre one in six.