Author Topic: Willie Williams: the album is ready but won't come out until 2014  (Read 10073 times)

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
Re: Willie Williams: the album is ready but won't come out until 2014
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2013, 03:14:32 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Willie has said U2 have already finished the album and that it's currently in post-production, but it won't come out this year because (wait for it...) they want to wait until Europe has "financially recovered"

We're going to have a bloody long wait then.

Pretty much. If they are waiting for Europe, America, or any other country to make a speedy economic recovery then we can expect the album in about 2020.

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2013, 05:56:16 PM »
Hell, I would pay a fee to join some fan club or website

U2.com! ::)

Offline johno11

• Refugee
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2013, 07:50:39 PM »
June 2014 is when I think new album will be released :-)

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2013, 08:35:49 PM »
I just heard from a 360 roadie that U2 are delaying the album until Bhutan's Gross National Happiness recovers. They're just not smiling enough.

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2013, 03:11:35 AM »
Yeah, this just doesn't seem very credible to me.

Indeed.

Offline SDD3000

• Stateless
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2013, 09:30:16 AM »
They will not miss the pre x mas release again... Im thinking the album will be out this year. Its starting to make sense. Album finished/zane lowe (if it was U2, I think it was) gets one of the first listens etc. While its frustrating that the band is so quiet, its also kinda cool. I like this silent treatment this time around. It reminds me of the period before AB came out. And look how that went. I just wanna hear what they have cooked up  :)

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2013, 09:45:18 AM »
They will not miss the pre x mas release again... Im thinking the album will be out this year. Its starting to make sense. Album finished/zane lowe (if it was U2, I think it was) gets one of the first listens etc. While its frustrating that the band is so quiet, its also kinda cool. I like this silent treatment this time around. It reminds me of the period before AB came out. And look how that went. I just wanna hear what they have cooked up  :)

THIS!!!

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2013, 10:38:25 AM »
Again if it's true then I am on the money again.

Cheers,

J

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2013, 12:26:35 PM »
October/November 2013.  You heard it here folks.

Offline Midnight is Where the Day Begins

• Genius of Compression
  • Oh it's time, it's time, it's IeTOUR time!!
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2013, 02:20:47 PM »

A near holiday release sounds about right. I don't think we'll see a March release again.

Offline goldtoad

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2013, 10:10:39 AM »

A near holiday release sounds about right. I don't think we'll see a March release again.

I agree...  I'm sticking with those who are predicting a late 2013 release. 

The current economic problems in Europe and the US will not greatly change their plans for releasing an album and touring. 
It would only be rescheduled if the debt crisis spirals out of control.  As others here have suggested, if U2 were going to wait
for good economic conditions, they might as well retire.  The 360 tour was planned and launched in a deep recession when
some other acts were cancelling shows.  There were some predictions that U2 would play to half-full stadiums, but it was
very successful, so you have to give U2 and their team a lot of credit for pulling it off.   

Offline Chip

• Numb
  • "Hey, I've been waiting to get home a long time"
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2013, 11:09:27 AM »
OK, this rumor is similar to one I heard a few weeks back from a friend who over the years apparently has had inside info from a close-to-band source(s). (No, I don't know which sources.) When I mentioned the new album coming out this year, he said, "Not anymore. We were going to get that, but just recently the band left the studio and decided not to release an album this year. It may be 2014 or even 2015, but it won't be this year." If the album's essentially in the can but the band has decided to hold off on releasing it (for whatever reason), that would explain them ceasing studio work.

A day or two after hearing this, I queried m2 as to whether he'd heard anything similar. I was glad to learn he had not. Now this rumor seems to point in the direction of my friend's info.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 11:12:52 AM by Chip »

Offline MASTER YODA

• Staring at the Sun
  • Patriots 2017!!!
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2013, 11:37:59 AM »
This is BS.  ::)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2013, 05:58:09 PM »
Whilst we as fans are of course keen to get a new U2 album - the question that nags away at me is - Is it realistic to expect one in the near future?

The 360 tour only finished in August 2011 (well last gig was 30th July, but that is virtually August!) - so not even 2 years ago.

When you look at U2's recent cycle and the way that they tour - that isn't really that long ago in terms of the way they work.

Elevation tour in support of ATYCLB finished in Dec 2001 - HTDAAB was released in Nov 2004 - so almost 3 years gap.

Vertigo tour in support of HTDAAB finished in Dec 2006 - NLOTH was released in Feb 2009 - so a gap of over 2 years

So with that August 2011 end date for the 360 tour and factoring in that the band is getting older and I think the 360 tour took more out of them than those other tours too - a 3 year gap wouldn't be that long in "their world" so Summer 2014 wouldn't IMO be an unreasonable expectation.

OK there are the promo tours which (I haven't checked) might bring those dates forward a little bit.

The thing is though there seems to have been such a call for such a long time for the next album when the reality is they only wrapped up the last "campaign" about 20 months ago.

Whilst U2 continue to use the album followed by big world tour model, we are always going to see 3 year or so gaps between albums - and due to the money that they make on these mammoth globe trotting tours - and the size of the fanbase across the world, I can't see that changing.

I'd love to hear new stuff more regularly, but i don't think it will be the case. Not sure if there was the same level of "impatience" for the new albums previously, but if there was I don't recall it being on the level there has been this time around - and for so long.

Offline SDD3000

• Stateless
« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2013, 06:55:06 PM »
But the only reason the last tour ended in 2011 is because of Bonos back problem.. It should have ended sooner. The last album came out in 2009. Its now 2013. 4 years. And coming off a album that didn't strike a chord id say they would be eager to get new material out. But.. this is speculation. Who knows. The silent treatment could be a really smart PR move or the band are really unsure at the moment.