Author Topic: Mercy  (Read 4595 times)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
Re: Mercy
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2013, 04:14:15 PM »
Mercy the studio version is simply very average - Mercy the live version is dreadful

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2013, 04:21:36 PM »
After hearing all this talk about Mercy, which I hadn't heard before, I finally checked it out on YouTube.

Eh.  It's not terrible or anything, but it's basically City of Blinding Lights redux.  Or the other way around.  Not terrible, not great.  Another MOR 00's song with an uplifting chorus.  And I don't mean to say "uplifting = good".  Just a comment on its intent, rather.  It's certainly better than some songs on HTDAAB, but I can understand why it was left off, as COBL kind of makes it redundant.

I'm a little tired of songs about "love" in that vague, cosmic sense, which is basically another song singing about God.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2013, 04:25:01 PM »
I think it's the most U2 sounding song ever made, I don't know how people can dislike it, the live version is a shambles though. The new solo is goddamn awful, put the original back in!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 04:29:00 PM by eddyjedi »

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2013, 04:35:51 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
After hearing all this talk about Mercy, which I hadn't heard before, I finally checked it out on YouTube.

Eh.  It's not terrible or anything, but it's basically City of Blinding Lights redux.  Or the other way around.  Not terrible, not great.  Another MOR 00's song with an uplifting chorus.  And I don't mean to say "uplifting = good".  Just a comment on its intent, rather.  It's certainly better than some songs on HTDAAB, but I can understand why it was left off, as COBL kind of makes it redundant.

I'm a little tired of songs about "love" in that vague, cosmic sense, which is basically another song singing about God.

It is very typical of most of the bands output in the 2000's - safe, unadventurous, with at times cringeworthy lyrics

I really do hope that they can rediscover their edge, and some magic again, be brave enough to take risks and get some fire in their bellies again.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2013, 04:51:02 PM »
I think it's the most U2 sounding song ever made, I don't know how people can dislike it, the live version is a shambles though. The new solo is goddamn awful, put the original back in!

Yeah, I dunno--"the must U2 sounding song ever made" could just as well be a stand in for the word "generic".  I like lots of U2 songs, but not because they sound like each other.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2013, 04:52:41 PM »

Yeah, I dunno--"the must U2 sounding song ever made" could just as well be a stand in for the word "generic".  I like lots of U2 songs, but not because they sound like each other.

It's a fine example of what the band represent musically, if you ask me.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2013, 05:10:34 PM »
Winter is a far better song from the NLOTH period in the band's history than Mercy was from the Bomb period.

Offline andrei

• Babyface
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2013, 02:27:37 AM »
Ah well thanks anyway guys, it's a real shame to see such a good song go to waste. I am of course talking about this version here:

The new (live) version I don't like as much. Youtube ripping it is then  :-[ hopefully they make this song available on itunes or something similar some day soon. The original version, that is.

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2013, 05:05:49 AM »
Original version is bloated, clumsy and "meh". Newer version is sleeker, more enjoyable, not great but good.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2013, 06:06:54 AM »
Hopefully it is absolutely no indication of the direction of the new album

jacob

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2013, 08:46:07 AM »
The studio version (the long one with the stream-of consciousness lyrics ) is fantastic. One of the very best of the 00s indeed.
The live version (with the cheesy chorus)  is conventionalised and watered down, like much of the 00s material.
Im afraid there are two type of U2 fans: the Mercy-lovers and the ones who just dont get it (of whom i wont read their posts no more)

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2013, 09:17:53 AM »
Mercy would have been the best thing on HTDAAB.

That's not an endorsement of Mercy by the way.

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2013, 09:18:32 AM »
Mercy would have been the best thing on HTDAAB.

That's not an endorsement of Mercy by the way.

Yup

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2013, 09:26:58 AM »
City of Blinding Lights is far better than Mercy.

Offline Domenico of Lovetown

• Precious Stone
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2013, 09:30:48 AM »
Winter is a far better song from the NLOTH period in the band's history than Mercy was from the Bomb period.

Winter should have been on NLOTH.