Author Topic: Mercy  (Read 4572 times)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: Mercy
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2013, 09:32:16 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Winter is a far better song from the NLOTH period in the band's history than Mercy was from the Bomb period.

Winter should have been on NLOTH.

It should but they went with White as Snow instead.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2013, 12:26:25 PM »
City of Blinding Lights is far better than Mercy.

yup

Offline striker

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Dream Out Loud
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2013, 01:27:24 PM »
After hearing all this talk about Mercy, which I hadn't heard before, I finally checked it out on YouTube.

Eh.  It's not terrible or anything, but it's basically City of Blinding Lights redux.  Or the other way around.  Not terrible, not great.  Another MOR 00's song with an uplifting chorus.  And I don't mean to say "uplifting = good".  Just a comment on its intent, rather.  It's certainly better than some songs on HTDAAB, but I can understand why it was left off, as COBL kind of makes it redundant.

I'm a little tired of songs about "love" in that vague, cosmic sense, which is basically another song singing about God.
I kinda like the song. I can see your point on it sounding too much like COBL though, and why the decision was made to put it aside.

COBL + Miracle Drug = Mercy   

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2013, 02:00:10 PM »
Oh it's math time again !

Mercy > (cobl + md)

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2013, 02:48:01 PM »
After hearing all this talk about Mercy, which I hadn't heard before, I finally checked it out on YouTube.

Eh.  It's not terrible or anything, but it's basically City of Blinding Lights redux.  Or the other way around.  Not terrible, not great.  Another MOR 00's song with an uplifting chorus.  And I don't mean to say "uplifting = good".  Just a comment on its intent, rather.  It's certainly better than some songs on HTDAAB, but I can understand why it was left off, as COBL kind of makes it redundant.

I'm a little tired of songs about "love" in that vague, cosmic sense, which is basically another song singing about God.
I kinda like the song. I can see your point on it sounding too much like COBL though, and why the decision was made to put it aside.

COBL + Miracle Drug = Mercy

i think MD does the job for Mercy just fine, both would be redundant.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2013, 05:40:17 PM »
Winter is a far better song from the NLOTH period in the band's history than Mercy was from the Bomb period.

Winter should have been on NLOTH.

Winter v1 has bongolese though, v2 would be fine, could have even been a single.

Mercy demo is way better than city of blinding lights.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2013, 12:02:02 AM »
One Step Closer > CoBL > Toxic > She Bangs > Mmmbop > Mercy

surit87

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2013, 06:02:47 AM »
Personally, it think its a good song... good for a listen once in a while. But nowhere close to being memorable.

surit87

« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2013, 06:03:56 AM »

It is very typical of most of the bands output in the 2000's - safe, unadventurous, with at times cringeworthy lyrics

I really do hope that they can rediscover their edge, and some magic again, be brave enough to take risks and get some fire in their bellies again.

Well... the older you are - the more 'unadventurous' you get.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2013, 06:50:06 AM »
Mercy has the potential to be a great song, better than most of HTDAAB. The backlash against the song's only increased because there's a lot of people who love it a lot and so the hipster U2 fans rebel against it (hipster U2 fan is an oxymoron, but it's all relative!).

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2013, 06:56:22 AM »
Mercy has the potential to be a great song, better than most of HTDAAB. The backlash against the song's only increased because there's a lot of people who love it a lot and so the hipster U2 fans rebel against it (hipster U2 fan is an oxymoron, but it's all relative!).

more like "wannabe hipster" or "hipster-in-their-own-mind"

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2013, 09:19:41 AM »
The lyrics in the first verse are some of the best Bono has ever written. Ever. Here's my take on both versions of the song: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline BalconyTV

• Numb
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2013, 12:53:27 PM »
Mercy is solid profound work, which I find most of U2s music to be. Which is why I like them.

But I don't find it to be one of there best or anything like that. It would be middle to bottom tier.

Offline bethere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2013, 03:10:16 PM »

Well, nothing wrong with singing about God. I think its a magical song and was so intoxicated by it back in 2004 that I listened to nothing but that song over and over the first day I heard it. I consider it one of the greatest songs that U2 has ever recorded. Its #13 on my list of the top 20 U2 songs of all time.

Offline bethere

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2013, 03:14:15 PM »
As i've said before, if this had made it on to HTDAAB, it would be one of the lesser of the songs, ranked below MD imo. Not terrible, definitely not "epic"

Miracle Drug is the 7th greatest song U2 have ever written and recorded. Definitely the greatest U2 song since the 1980s. Mercy is not far behind.