Author Topic: Mercy  (Read 4560 times)

Offline bethere

• Running to Stand Still
Re: Mercy
« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2013, 03:16:48 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
After hearing all this talk about Mercy, which I hadn't heard before, I finally checked it out on YouTube.

Eh.  It's not terrible or anything, but it's basically City of Blinding Lights redux.  Or the other way around.  Not terrible, not great.  Another MOR 00's song with an uplifting chorus.  And I don't mean to say "uplifting = good".  Just a comment on its intent, rather.  It's certainly better than some songs on HTDAAB, but I can understand why it was left off, as COBL kind of makes it redundant.

I'm a little tired of songs about "love" in that vague, cosmic sense, which is basically another song singing about God.

It is very typical of most of the bands output in the 2000's - safe, unadventurous, with at times cringeworthy lyrics

I really do hope that they can rediscover their edge, and some magic again, be brave enough to take risks and get some fire in their bellies again.

To me, Mercy is a song with fire and edge. Its also joyful and optimistic which is the quintessential U2 sound!

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2013, 03:34:07 PM »
As i've said before, if this had made it on to HTDAAB, it would be one of the lesser of the songs, ranked below MD imo. Not terrible, definitely not "epic"

Miracle Drug is the 7th greatest song U2 have ever written and recorded. Definitely the greatest U2 song since the 1980s. Mercy is not far behind.

MD is immense. Beautiful Day is easily their best recording since achtung baby.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2013, 04:25:56 PM »
As i've said before, if this had made it on to HTDAAB, it would be one of the lesser of the songs, ranked below MD imo. Not terrible, definitely not "epic"

Miracle Drug is the 7th greatest song U2 have ever written and recorded. Definitely the greatest U2 song since the 1980s. Mercy is not far behind.

hahahaha

Seriously, that's hysterical.

Play Miracle Drug for Achtung-era U2 and I'm pretty sure the band would be aghast at how riskless, soft rock radio and syrupy it is with all its talk of baby heads hearing songs when people smile.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2013, 04:28:23 PM »

hahahaha

Play Miracle Drug for Achtung-era U2 and I'm pretty sure the band would be aghast at how riskless, soft rock radio and syrupy it is with all its talk of baby heads hearing songs when people smile.

+1

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2013, 04:29:46 PM »
I think he means

"Miracle Drug is my 7th favorite U2 song"

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2013, 04:31:02 PM »

hahahaha

+1

+2

Md is terrible. Aside from the brutal lyrics that guitar solo is as "mailing it in" as there is.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2013, 04:34:05 PM »
I think it's a great tune, mature sounding it might be but they are a mature band! V uplifting to hear live too.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2013, 04:40:46 PM »

hahahaha

+1

+2

Md is terrible. Aside from the brutal lyrics that guitar solo is as "mailing it in" as there is.

Exactly. This was the first time I'd heard a U2 album track upon initial listen, and halfway through hated it and wanted to skip it. I really couldn't believe something that bland made it to the album.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2013, 05:20:21 PM »

hahahaha

+1

+2

Exactly. This was the first time I'd heard a U2 album track upon initial listen, and halfway through hated it and wanted to skip it. I really couldn't believe something that bland made it to the album.

The album contained Yahweh, a song so bland it makes Miracle Drug sound daring and revolutionary.

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2013, 05:24:24 PM »
The album contained A man and a woman, a song so bland it makes Yahweh sound.....

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2013, 05:25:59 PM »
The album contained A man and a woman. A song so bland it made Yahweh sound.....

Like rock and roll had been re-invented, with a new snarl, a huge shotgun and a f*ckin* pile of ammo!

Offline bw

• Refugee
  • Dreamed that I saw Dali with a supermarket trolley
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2013, 06:38:47 PM »
"Mercy" is the song that should have replaced "Miracle Drug" on HTDAAB.

I think it is a beautiful song, specifically the studio. It was a big disappointment the song also missed the cut for NLOTH. Ideally, I hope the boys come to their senses and find a place on the upcoming album.

The version used on tour was disjointed and forced, a real let down when it was revealed U2 were adding non-released material - a great idea - to their set lists.

Offline jc619er

• Numb
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2013, 08:38:53 AM »
Mercy is a fantastic song that I hope someday ends up on a B-sides release somewhere in a properly mixed fashion.

Offline OnlyU2

• Holy Joe
  • Who's to say what it is will break you
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2013, 11:05:47 PM »
Personally I prefer the live version over the studio version.  I find the added verse, "because because we can we must" gives the song that powerful uplift. 

surit87

« Reply #59 on: June 04, 2013, 11:56:07 PM »
MD isn't terrible... it's just not on par with U2's most successful songs. It's one of my personal favorites by the way.