Author Topic: Does U2's cover of Aslan's "This Is" indicate the new album's sound?  (Read 4480 times)

Offline MASTER YODA

• Staring at the Sun
  • Patriots 2017!!!
Re: Evidence that "This Is" U2 for Aslan is not a live performance
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2013, 07:22:44 PM »
I actually hope this is their new style, lots more energy

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2013, 09:14:44 PM »
I do like their performance on "This Is" with my favorite part being the same as @scatterolight's

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

However, I would prefer an album that has mostly rockers and fast, action songs with more cosmic, electric buzzing guitar sounds... an album of songs with the vibe of The Fly, God Pt. 2, Bullet, Two Hearts, Mofo, and if there's a couple slow tracks they'd still have rocking parts like Dirty Day, Gone, or Until the End of the World.

This thread is all over the place.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2013, 12:58:39 AM »
I actually hope this is their new style, lots more energy

Whilst that was just a cover and it tells us (and i am sure wasn't meant to) nothing really about their direction - and of course personal taste is each persons own thing, i am interested to know why you would want the band to stand still and remain stuck in their 00's sound. For me that arrangement was very MOR, unadventurous and a bit 'syrupy' - like a lot of their 00's stuff.

For me i want to hear them push themselves, i want some grit, some groove, some experimentation, a heavier sound.

All about personal taste of course - but for me an album with the kind of sound in that video would be a dissappointment and represent u2 playing it safe - again

satellitedog01

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2013, 01:20:13 AM »
None taken, I stated before that I'm still interested in their new songs, but I have expectations when they decide to show up as a band, and SBS was positively underwhelming, while This Is isn't a great song and Bono's voice is the only interesting thing about it to me, the rest is a bog standard U2 hack-job, yet most of the forumers hail it as a hopeful precursor to the DM record or something...

My negativity comes from the brand vs band shift in focus along the years, so that likely won't go away until they present new material that doesn't pander to the top 40 crowd, who could care less what their flavour of the week is called.

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2013, 01:46:10 AM »
This is not the voice of a tired man ...

Is this song going to be on a tribute CD? Or at least a single-b-side? I want this in full CD quality.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2013, 03:14:30 AM »
None taken, I stated before that I'm still interested in their new songs, but I have expectations when they decide to show up as a band, and SBS was positively underwhelming, while This Is isn't a great song and Bono's voice is the only interesting thing about it to me, the rest is a bog standard U2 hack-job, yet most of the forumers hail it as a hopeful precursor to the DM record or something...

My negativity comes from the brand vs band shift in focus along the years, so that likely won't go away until they present new material that doesn't pander to the top 40 crowd, who could care less what their flavour of the week is called.

Kudos right there.

satellitedog01

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2013, 03:16:58 AM »
What for? :-))) I do hope speaking one's mind is not considered a feat around here.

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2013, 07:29:30 AM »
I agree.  I hope the lack of success that NLOTH had doesn't cause U2 to retreat to their "sound" like they did after Pop when they went to ATYCLB. 

I prefer Pop and where the band was headed in the 90s with the more experimental & electronic sound and especially with The Edge trying to make the guitar sound different.

Much of the Edge's guitar sound of the last few *popular* U2 songs from the albums of the 00s have that chiming echo quality that you can hear on "This Is" and "Father Christmas"  (with the exception of the buzzing guitar sound of "Elevation" & "Vertigo".)   

satellitedog01

Re: Does U2's cover of Aslan's "This Is" indicate the new album's sound?
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2013, 08:03:28 AM »
Yeah, he's been overusing his signature sounds for the past few years, which worked for many songs, but I strongly prefer when he goes after the perfect tone for the mood. Also, even with his most adventurous sounds, he remained recognizable as the guitar player of U2.

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2013, 03:34:01 PM »
I'm excited to read this tweet:

which does NOT describe the sound as "ethereal."

I'm interpreting the description to mean one of two things:

1. the sound of the new album will be like Boy, October, War i.e. NOT OVER produced

if so, yay!

OR

2. fans are just hearing the album before heavy producing that will happen before its release. 

If so, then I'd imagine the album will sound more "ethereal" ala This Is and Father Christmas. :(

« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 08:33:22 AM by andrewau2 »

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2013, 05:43:14 PM »
I'm excited to read this tweet:

which does NOT describe the sound as "ethereal."

I'm interpreting the description to mean one of two things:

1. the sound of the new album will be like Boy, October, War i.e. NOT OVER produced

if so, yay!

OR

2. fans are just hearing the album before heaving producing that will happen before its release. 

If so, then I'd imagine the album will sound more "ethereal" ala This Is and Father Christmas.

I'd put raw and old school in the rattle and hum period. The 2 leaked demos sound v much like R&H era U2 which I love.

Offline joshtree14

• Wanderer
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2013, 01:48:39 PM »
Nothing new about the "sound". Edges guitar is clean with delay

Offline MASTER YODA

• Staring at the Sun
  • Patriots 2017!!!
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2013, 08:00:16 PM »
Nothing new about the "sound". Edges guitar is clean with delay

Yeah but still exciting news.

satellitedog01

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2013, 01:56:12 AM »
As in? His default lazy sound this is, Master Yoda.

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
  • she's the wave,she turns the Tide
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2013, 07:13:21 AM »
Good lord, I hope not.