Author Topic: Has anyone met Bono ? Funny story  (Read 1708 times)

Offline Dream-Out-loud

• Wanderer
  • And i have no compass...
Has anyone met Bono ? Funny story
« on: June 25, 2013, 01:50:18 PM »
So i thought i would share my rather funny story about the time i ALMOST met my idol , Bono  . It was about 3 years ago now , maybe more when i was accompanying my dad to a funeral of a work colleague . Don't ask me why i went , even he didn't really know the guy. Nonetheless he was a fairly prominent figure so as you can imagine the church was so crowded there was a large crowd gathered outside also. We remained outside in the rain by the church listening in to the service , when it suddenly came time for the shaking of hands or ''sign of peace'' if you will. So there I am , minding my own business , when this rather familiar face crosses my field of vision , and proceeds to shake hands with the man in front of me. He then returns to his original place with either family or friends DIRECTLY BESIDE ME.  Anyway there i was.. completely shell shocked that Bono had been standing beside me the whole time. Unfortunately for me I did not get to have the meet and greet with him I had hoped for , for a very silly reason. Number one ...I was nervous as hell. Number two...it was kind of a funeral ..and it probably would have been entirely rude for me to run over to this man slobbering like a maniac. Needless to say by the end of the whole thing Bono had unfortunately left. I'll never forget how close i was. A funny story anyway... a big regret to say the least ! Was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience or even met the man himself ? If so were you disappointed or thrilled by his demeanor ? All i wanted was to shake his hand  :P oh well !

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
Re: Has anyone met Bono ? Funny story
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 07:02:12 AM »
Where were you at the time Dream???
Oh i would have been nervous too but it would have been cool
to do the peace shake with Bono and say peace be with you at
the same time...can't believe you didnt notice him? ::) :D :D :D

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 08:51:09 AM »
That is a funny story... all I want to know is, why was he at the funeral?

Offline Dream-Out-loud

• Wanderer
  • And i have no compass...
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 09:05:03 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
That is a funny story... all I want to know is, why was he at the funeral?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Where were you at the time Dream???
Oh i would have been nervous too but it would have been cool
to do the peace shake with Bono and say peace be with you at
the same time...can't believe you didnt notice him? ::) :D :D :D
This was in Dublin ..don't ask me where now it was quite some time ago ! I was also frozen to the spot when he passed me. Call it a ''star struck'' moment . The funeral was for a prominent businessman , although I was still surprised Bono knew him. Obviosuly not that well as he was standing outside like me and the rest of the plebs  :P. He must have slipped out early too, my plan was to catch him on the way out ! .....sadly not. I suppose if i was really desperate I could just hang around Kiliney more often..... maybe not  ::)

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 09:37:51 AM »
I should have met edge when I worked at Glastonbury in 2010 for the BBC but I didn't. I did however get the muse setlist signed by him! I could also have met the band there in 2011 but opted out. I'm sure I would have acted like a complete buffoon!