Poll

Which of these songs do you WANT to see on the new album?

Every Breaking Wave
90 (28.4%)
North Star
41 (12.9%)
Mercy
55 (17.4%)
Soon
32 (10.1%)
Return of the Stingray Guitar
36 (11.4%)
Glastonbury
17 (5.4%)
None of the above thank you very much
46 (14.5%)

Total Members Voted: 174

Author Topic: Old songs on the new album?  (Read 21719 times)

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
Re: Old songs on the new album?
« Reply #120 on: January 25, 2014, 07:34:14 AM »
I would hope none of them make it. We've heard them all before, and it would be just plain lazy if they included any of them. I want this album to be a complete surprise to me and blow me away. None of the songs above would excite me in any way.

Offline Bundang Dave

• Staring at the Sun
  • It's not what I want; it's what I need.
« Reply #121 on: January 25, 2014, 07:41:37 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I would hope none of them make it. We've heard them all before, and it would be just plain lazy if they included any of them. I want this album to be a complete surprise to me and blow me away. None of the songs above would excite me in any way.

For me, it would depend on what they've done to these songs. For most of them, I've only heard what amounted to live sketches of the songs.

I don't think we'll see Soon on the album as it was already released in a complete form. Mercy was also released in a really odd mix of live and studio forms. I still wouldn't mind seeing this song released if it's even further tweaked to rid it of cliche.

The two I'd most like to see on the album are Stingray and Glastonbury, though both in much evolved forms with lyrics and different (i.e., non-Glastonbury related) lyrics. I like the guitar sounds I heard on both of these songs and would like the band to go more in that direction.

Offline PowerSurge

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Hello Hello
« Reply #122 on: January 25, 2014, 09:06:19 AM »

I'm not sure how it would necessarily be "just plain lazy" for any of these songs to be included in the new album considering the fact that most of them were only played live in concert a couple of times and in some cases like EBW and North Star they were stripped down. How can anyone get a really good take on a work in progress when its that stripped down?

Other than EBW I personally wouldn't want to hear any of these songs on the album because I think they are weak. Most of them should be B-sides in my honest opinion, but thats just me. Maybe I hold them to a higher standard when it comes to the quality of their music. Silly me, right? :)

Offline Wtn24

• Stateless
« Reply #123 on: January 25, 2014, 09:23:19 AM »
I am a huge fan of "Always"

Will never be on an album, as it was obviously later released as Beautiful Day.

Obviously. But that is a song I would have liked to see on an actual album. My beautiful day single doesn't count

Offline The Slow Loris

• Refugee
« Reply #124 on: January 25, 2014, 09:23:56 AM »

I'm not sure how it would necessarily be "just plain lazy" for any of these songs to be included in the new album considering the fact that most of them were only played live in concert a couple of times and in some cases like EBW and North Star they were stripped down. How can anyone get a really good take on a work in progress when its that stripped down?

Other than EBW I personally wouldn't want to hear any of these songs on the album because I think they are weak. Most of them should be B-sides in my honest opinion, but thats just me. Maybe I hold them to a higher standard when it comes to the quality of their music. Silly me, right? :)

I agree with you that most of the songs listed are indeed weak for album material. And despite 'Every Breaking Wave' having some great lyrics, it definitely also has some weak moments that need to be flushed out (ie, the part that begins with "Hey now....I don't know if I'm that strong [repeated three times]" definitely needs to be altered). Ironically, the original version of 'Mercy' is far superior than the newer version they played in concert....sometimes they had it right the first time, sometimes not.

Offline A_Fly_On_The_Wall

• Deep In the Heart
  • Doing My Best Work In Your Disbelief Of Existence
« Reply #125 on: January 25, 2014, 09:32:47 AM »
The two I'd most like to see on the album are Stingray and Glastonbury, though both in much evolved forms with lyrics and different (i.e., non-Glastonbury related) lyrics. I like the guitar sounds I heard on both of these songs and would like the band to go more in that direction.

I agree with this.

Both songs mentioned sounded great live and had that old school U2 feel to them. I'd be interested to see what they've done with either of these songs.

Personally, I'd love to hear North Star on the new album. I think it is one of the loveliest songs I've heard for a long time and I'd be interested to see what U2 could have done to it in the studio.

Boom Cha!

« Reply #126 on: January 25, 2014, 04:30:55 PM »
It would've been great if they released all of these songs as an EP towards the end of the 360 tour.

Anyways, I'm sure we'll see a couple of these songs in a tweaked form for the new album.

Offline shanep

• Stateless
« Reply #127 on: January 25, 2014, 05:09:29 PM »
I voted none of them. They should have went in during the 360 tour on their days off, polished them off, and released them as a tour bonus disc EP called Leftovers on the Horizon. Because that's essentially what I think of them….good songs, but B side quality. The more they tweak the more they make things worse sometimes.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 05:12:33 PM by shanep »

Offline andrei

• Babyface
« Reply #128 on: January 25, 2014, 05:29:30 PM »
None of these songs will be on the new album although a couple of them may show up as bonus tracks of some description

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #129 on: January 25, 2014, 08:52:17 PM »
Still going for two albums. First one brand new and second one a combination of new stuff and stuff we have heard live

Offline Waiting for this moment

• Wanderer
« Reply #130 on: January 26, 2014, 07:22:03 AM »
I still really want this song from the Rubin sessions given a proper release You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #131 on: January 26, 2014, 08:27:18 AM »
Verses are class but sound very familiar..

Offline OnlyU2

• Holy Joe
  • Who's to say what it is will break you
« Reply #132 on: January 26, 2014, 09:20:56 AM »
Still going for two albums. First one brand new and second one a combination of new stuff and stuff we have heard live

This

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #133 on: January 26, 2014, 10:36:43 AM »
I hope someday we get the Rubin Album (or even EP) and Songs of Ascent (or EP).

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #134 on: January 26, 2014, 11:34:15 AM »
I still really want this song from the Rubin sessions given a proper release You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Is this all my life? Tremendous song