Poll

Which of these songs do you WANT to see on the new album?

Every Breaking Wave
90 (28.4%)
North Star
41 (12.9%)
Mercy
55 (17.4%)
Soon
32 (10.1%)
Return of the Stingray Guitar
36 (11.4%)
Glastonbury
17 (5.4%)
None of the above thank you very much
46 (14.5%)

Total Members Voted: 174

Author Topic: Old songs on the new album?  (Read 21616 times)

Offline Rodney T-M

• Stateless
Re: Old songs on the new album?
« Reply #150 on: January 27, 2014, 09:40:56 PM »
They played it live a few times.

Offline Smithy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #151 on: January 27, 2014, 10:31:42 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I still really want this song from the Rubin sessions given a proper release You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Is this all my life? Tremendous song

Agree, this song is awesome and would love to see the finished product.

First time I had heard that one.  TONS of potential there and would be fantastic live!

I've literally listened to it about 20 times and it keeps getting better each time for me. The one thing that I can't get past is whether or not its a song that is good enough to be on an album or if it would be better suited as a fantastic B-side.

I read a quote from one of the boys that mentioned how they had moved past some of the earlier finished songs that they had worked on during prior studio sessions. I wonder if this song was one of them or if they resurrected it during the latest sessions. Lanois did mention that he listened to the newer work and referenced some of the songs were familiar because he had worked on them with the band before...so who the hell knows anymore???

Well I was just reading this article You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
which is an interview with the boys that took place during their promotion of NLOTH and it seems they are very keen to get back to those sessions and recordings at some point. They said that the problem was Rick was focused on getting the song 'finished' whilst the band wanted to push it much further, and I'd say after a 5 year wait they have probably have done a lot of 'pushing' so who knows, it is likely that we may see 'All My Life' again and I will be very happy to hear it in its all its glory!

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #152 on: January 27, 2014, 11:08:01 PM »

Is there a full band version of Glastonbury out there on youtube? I will have to check again because for some reason I can't seem to remember this song at all. Maybe I just bypassed it but I don't remember if I've heard it before.

Look for Turin 360 Tour - they debuted that song there I'm pretty sure

Offline PowerSurge

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Hello Hello
« Reply #153 on: January 28, 2014, 06:06:22 AM »
I still really want this song from the Rubin sessions given a proper release You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

First time I had heard that one.  TONS of potential there and would be fantastic live!

I've literally listened to it about 20 times and it keeps getting better each time for me. The one thing that I can't get past is whether or not its a song that is good enough to be on an album or if it would be better suited as a fantastic B-side.

I read a quote from one of the boys that mentioned how they had moved past some of the earlier finished songs that they had worked on during prior studio sessions. I wonder if this song was one of them or if they resurrected it during the latest sessions. Lanois did mention that he listened to the newer work and referenced some of the songs were familiar because he had worked on them with the band before...so who the hell knows anymore???

Well I was just reading this article You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
which is an interview with the boys that took place during their promotion of NLOTH and it seems they are very keen to get back to those sessions and recordings at some point. They said that the problem was Rick was focused on getting the song 'finished' whilst the band wanted to push it much further, and I'd say after a 5 year wait they have probably have done a lot of 'pushing' so who knows, it is likely that we may see 'All My Life' again and I will be very happy to hear it in its all its glory!

It fascinates me how they just couldn't jive with such a prominent and influential producer like Rubin. I want to hear more details of what happened. It baffles me that they couldn't make it work. Hopefully they do return to those songs and end up releasing them at some point. You have got to think that their window of opportunity is closing so if they have the material they should start releasing as much of it over the next few years as soon as possible. I mean c'mon, how many 5 year spans can this band take to make 11 or 12 songs and still have anyone care about them? I know I would care...but how many others would even bother?

Offline PowerSurge

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Hello Hello
« Reply #154 on: January 28, 2014, 06:12:56 AM »

Is there a full band version of Glastonbury out there on youtube? I will have to check again because for some reason I can't seem to remember this song at all. Maybe I just bypassed it but I don't remember if I've heard it before.

Look for Turin 360 Tour - they debuted that song there I'm pretty sure

Thanks man, I found it and listened to it. Its not a bad song at all. The music itself is bad ass...the lyrics are a let down though. I keep wondering if Bono is killing some of these songs with his lyrics and singing. I know it sounds blasphemous to even intimate that notion, but if you look at their last two or three albums you see a really nice progression to Edge's guitar play and the band's sound but a mish-mosh of great lyrics and borderline mediocre lyrics and signing by Bono. This song seems to suffer from the same problem that many of the songs on NLOTH suffered from. Its sad because I really thought NLOTH could have been an phenomenal album. In the end its just mediocre for me and I blame many of the poor lyrics not the band's sound; I think they sounded solid and at the top of their game. Maybe I'm the only one to think this but I just can't get myself to feel otherwise. 

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #155 on: January 28, 2014, 08:20:07 AM »

It fascinates me how they just couldn't jive with such a prominent and influential producer like Rubin. I want to hear more details of what happened. It baffles me that they couldn't make it work. Hopefully they do return to those songs and end up releasing them at some point. You have got to think that their window of opportunity is closing so if they have the material they should start releasing as much of it over the next few years as soon as possible. I mean c'mon, how many 5 year spans can this band take to make 11 or 12 songs and still have anyone care about them? I know I would care...but how many others would even bother?

exactly. i bet it's great. a producer pushing them to wrap it up and release it? sounds like what U2 needs.

Offline SDD3000

• Stateless
« Reply #156 on: January 28, 2014, 09:09:32 AM »
All My Life and Mercy on NLOTH would have made all the difference in the world. Them two in Crazy and SUC out.

Offline U2 Fan of the 90s

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #157 on: January 28, 2014, 09:25:21 AM »
All My Life and Mercy on NLOTH would have made all the difference in the world. Them two in Crazy and SUC out.

Agree in part... SUC is corny and formulaic... Crazy is so lightweight it's embarrassing, although the instrumentation is better.  All my life would've been a great addition... Mercy is too light as well... the need to focus on musical integrity and not earnestness. 

Offline DKT

• Refugee
  • Don't Turn Around Again
« Reply #158 on: January 28, 2014, 09:54:59 AM »
I would've taken Mercy over either of those songs. It might've fit that album too, actually.

All my Life I'm just hearing now for the first time. I hope it comes out Soon.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #159 on: January 28, 2014, 10:14:04 AM »
Still don't get the love for Mercy all these years later. It's everything that is disappointing about 00s U2. It's saccharine, meandering, self-indulgent nonsense if you ask me. To each their own, but I do wonder at the love that it gets.

Offline rexstardust

• Refugee
« Reply #160 on: January 28, 2014, 10:31:31 AM »
Still don't get the love for Mercy all these years later. It's everything that is disappointing about 00s U2. It's saccharine, meandering, self-indulgent nonsense if you ask me. To each their own, but I do wonder at the love that it gets.
+1
Makes me wonder if songs like Miracle Drug would be revered if they hadn't been officially released. 

Offline _acrobat

• Precious Stone
  • We live inside a dream
« Reply #161 on: January 28, 2014, 10:32:19 AM »
Miracle Drug>Mercy x1000

Offline DKT

• Refugee
  • Don't Turn Around Again
« Reply #162 on: January 28, 2014, 10:33:08 AM »
Hey, I'm just placing it above SUC and Crazy :)

I don't think it's as good as MOS or NLOTH (or say Cedars or WAS). But it feels less wrong for that album than SUC did.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #163 on: January 28, 2014, 10:41:05 AM »
Miracle Drug>Mercy x1000

Both songs are at the very bottom of my U2 song rankings.

Offline rexstardust

• Refugee
« Reply #164 on: January 28, 2014, 10:56:49 AM »
Hey, I'm just placing it above SUC and Crazy :)

I don't think it's as good as MOS or NLOTH (or say Cedars or WAS). But it feels less wrong for that album than SUC did.

I won't ever stick up for SUC and you're probably right that Mercy would have been a better fit.  SUC is the one on NLOTH that I really don't "get."  I understand, though don't particularly like, "Boots" and enjoyed "Crazy" so much in  concert that I can tolerate the recorded version.  But SUC… I'm speechless.  It's just that "Mercy" seems to have a mythical devotion with the U2 underground and to me it would not have been a difference maker. 

I didn't mean to single out "Miracle Drug" either… To me it is one of several 00's songs that feels like U2-paint-by-numbers… an echo of a song the band has executed better at other times in their careers (or even on the same album).  That's kind of how I view "Mercy" - undeniably U2 but interchangeable with other songs in their catalogue.  It wouldn't offend me if it made it on a record but it also wouldn't be one I'd be dying to hear live.