Poll

Which of these songs do you WANT to see on the new album?

Every Breaking Wave
90 (28.4%)
North Star
41 (12.9%)
Mercy
55 (17.4%)
Soon
32 (10.1%)
Return of the Stingray Guitar
36 (11.4%)
Glastonbury
17 (5.4%)
None of the above thank you very much
46 (14.5%)

Total Members Voted: 174

Author Topic: Old songs on the new album?  (Read 21620 times)

Offline Bill

• Babyface
Re: Old songs on the new album?
« Reply #165 on: January 28, 2014, 02:01:27 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Still don't get the love for Mercy all these years later. It's everything that is disappointing about 00s U2. It's saccharine, meandering, self-indulgent nonsense if you ask me. To each their own, but I do wonder at the love that it gets.

I think its beautiful. Reminds me of the Unforgettable Fire.

Offline U2 Fan of the 90s

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #166 on: January 28, 2014, 03:00:10 PM »
Still don't get the love for Mercy all these years later. It's everything that is disappointing about 00s U2. It's saccharine, meandering, self-indulgent nonsense if you ask me. To each their own, but I do wonder at the love that it gets.

I think its beautiful. Reminds me of the Unforgettable Fire.

Its a meandering mess that goes nowhere instrumentally.  The Edge's phrasing is very predictable and his solo is GARBAGE.  Moreover, Bono's lyrics are VERY cliche which is typical for the 00's era ("you put the blue back in my eye"). 

Those of you expecting lyrics that are of the quality of AB or UF I wouldn't hold my breath... Best we can hope for is that Bono avoids grammatical errors and that The Edge carries him through the high notes well.

I'm really hoping that The Edge shows up big here... His 00's era guitar contributions for the most part have been underwhelming save a few exceptions.   

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #167 on: January 28, 2014, 03:04:27 PM »
Yes, please let Bono avoid grammatical errors.

But I love the lyrics for their sentiment, and think the song's pretty.

Tarahumara

« Reply #168 on: January 28, 2014, 04:09:34 PM »
After hearing talk about mercy all these years, I finally decided to youtube it and give it a listen. I could only listen to about half of the song because it was so boring! Really bad! Makes "When I Look At The World" sound like a masterpiece in comparison. Hope it never makes it onto an album.

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #169 on: January 28, 2014, 04:22:17 PM »
After hearing talk about mercy all these years, I finally decided to youtube it and give it a listen. I could only listen to about half of the song because it was so boring! Really bad! Makes "When I Look At The World" sound like a masterpiece in comparison. Hope it never makes it onto an album.
But... but When I Look At The World is a masterpiece. :(

Just kidding (I love the song, but wouldn't describe it that way). I don't think Mercy's ever going to be put on an album, it's too old and there are already two versions of it in existence.

Offline Wtn24

• Stateless
« Reply #170 on: January 28, 2014, 05:04:01 PM »
Soon is lame

Offline drjako

• Stateless
« Reply #171 on: January 28, 2014, 05:05:44 PM »

Agree. It just meanders along. A long build up to an underwhelming chorus.

Offline Messenger

• Running to Stand Still
  • The universe is beautiful but cold.
« Reply #172 on: January 28, 2014, 05:35:43 PM »
Mercy is definitely a great B side in my opinion. Some corny lines for sure but I'd rather them not rework it and risk losing what's appealing about (the fact that it is appealing at all is highly debatable i see lol).

I do like it better than Miracle Drug though. And the chorus of All My Life sounds a little lame to me. Too Bon Jovi-ish. Soon is pretty good. It works at that length and it's more interesting than most of their recent songs which are twice as long.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #173 on: January 28, 2014, 05:46:20 PM »

This just surfaced not U2 is it?

Offline GFY

• Wanderer
« Reply #174 on: January 28, 2014, 05:55:27 PM »

This just surfaced not U2 is it?

This isn't U2.

Offline drjako

• Stateless
« Reply #175 on: January 29, 2014, 12:46:08 AM »
I hope none of the tracks listed make it. To me they're bland, like most of the 2000s marerial. Most recent output seems to be in their comfort zone. Some NLOTH tracks tried something different, but they didn't really have enough edge to them (pardon the pun). I had hopes when I heard the title track, as it seemed to have some desperation and U2 roots. I had high hopes. Apart from MOS and Magnificent, IMO the rest lacked something.
From my impressions of the Hangar clip, albeit very hard to conclude anything, I have high hopes. To me it seems like a new sound rhythmically. I am excited.

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #176 on: January 29, 2014, 12:57:38 AM »
I love Soon, I really hope U2 have made something from it. I doubt it though, they did what they did and time to move on. The chorus, far too brief, gets me  in a good mood every time. Even without catnip.

Sing yourself with fife and drum, sing yourself to overcome, the thought that someone's lost, and someone else has won.

I love this about Bono these days. He used to be Us vs Them, now it's "I can't fight you anymore, it's you I'm fighting for." As a very bad Buddhist, it appeals to me.

satellitedog01

« Reply #177 on: January 29, 2014, 03:57:28 AM »
Yeah, I think playing with all those mice before eating them might accumulate some bad karma.

Also Soon fits into the elegant songwriting future of U2 I dreamt about in 1999 or so.

Offline U2 Fan of the 90s

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #178 on: January 29, 2014, 07:31:14 AM »
Yeah, I think playing with all those mice before eating them might accumulate some bad karma.

Also Soon fits into the elegant songwriting future of U2 I dreamt about in 1999 or so.

Soon is better than 98% of NLOTH....

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #179 on: January 29, 2014, 08:05:18 AM »
I, for one, love Mercy. I regularly listen to it on Youtube and I wish U2 would put it on an album. After all these years though, I doubt it.