Poll

Which of these songs do you WANT to see on the new album?

Every Breaking Wave
90 (28.4%)
North Star
41 (12.9%)
Mercy
55 (17.4%)
Soon
32 (10.1%)
Return of the Stingray Guitar
36 (11.4%)
Glastonbury
17 (5.4%)
None of the above thank you very much
46 (14.5%)

Total Members Voted: 174

Author Topic: Old songs on the new album?  (Read 21518 times)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: Old songs on the new album?
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2013, 06:42:56 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Seems to me that non edgy dull MOR U2 is the most popular U2 on this forum.

I want the band to rediscover their balls and challenge me again - Mercy, EBW and North Star aren't going to do that. My biggest fear with the new album is that the band continue on the path they have been on for the last ten years plus - maybe the old dog is just out of new tricks....

Watching Glastonbury coverage right now and seen a couple of bands ive never heard of who have that edge, that hunger, and sound urgent, fresh and innovative - thing is they arent 50 odd year old multi millionaires - when i compare that to EBW and Mercy its like comparing fat vegas elvis to the elvis who changed the game. U2 need to pull out something a lot better on every level to these 00's leftovers.

I'm sorry but U2 can't get their youth back however much Bono may wear yellow pants. 

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2013, 06:48:50 PM »

I want the band to rediscover their balls and challenge me again - Mercy, EBW and North Star aren't going to do that. My biggest fear with the new album is that the band continue on the path they have been on for the last ten years plus - maybe the old dog is just out of new tricks....

Watching Glastonbury coverage right now and seen a couple of bands ive never heard of who have that edge, that hunger, and sound urgent, fresh and innovative - thing is they arent 50 odd year old multi millionaires - when i compare that to EBW and Mercy its like comparing fat vegas elvis to the elvis who changed the game. U2 need to pull out something a lot better on every level to these 00's leftovers.

I'm sorry but U2 can't get their youth back however much Bono may wear yellow pants.

I have no doubt you are right. No band/artist can. Hopefully they can at least create some music that has some fire in it again though - they have sounded like a band going through the motions all to often in the last decade

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2013, 07:11:30 PM »

I have no doubt you are right. No band/artist can. Hopefully they can at least create some music that has some fire in it again though - they have sounded like a band going through the motions all to often in the last decade

To a lot of fans they haven't.  Of course, the U2 of the 2000s are a different band to what they used to be but that is the nature of evolution. 

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2013, 07:21:51 PM »

To a lot of fans they haven't.  Of course, the U2 of the 2000s are a different band to what they used to be but that is the nature of evolution.

People are always going to see things differently - one man will prefer one thing, another something else.

For me their output in the 00's was mostly poor, especially coming after what I considered their best decade in terms of their music and live performances. It's all about opinions of course.

Time is a cruel mistress - its incredible to think that they went from recording songs like UTEOW, Acrobat, Ultra Violet, The Fly,  to Peace on Earth, When I look at the World, Wild Honey, Grace,... in the space of less than 10 years - and for me it's been downhill ever since, the odd moment aside.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2013, 08:50:23 PM »
So a sitar and rapping are in order then??  ;D

It's all about the harp and the moog, man!

Ha! I wouldn't doubt that a moog may have been used on a song in the past, but what do I know? ;)

Offline BalconyTV

• Numb
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2013, 02:03:15 PM »
So the last 10 years gets a very hard rap. The irony being that the Pop phase got a very hard rap. And even to a lot of U2 fans...Acthung Baby was hard to take. I've even spoke to some people who have said "I stopped liking them after War."

I definitly think All That You Cant Leave Behind gets far too hard a time now. I think it was a perfectly measured album at the time that was a necessary departure from the previous 10 years. Lets not forget the Million Dollar Hotel Album and Passengers. A lot of people said it was U2 getting back to its roots...but I could never see that. I did see it though as a band getting back to a more conventional song writing structure. But in that there was no harm. The band had alienated so many people with the direction they took. It wouldn't have bothered me if they had continued that direction. But simply put they would have become obscure. They took their experimentation pretty far. That album had some great songs no matter which was you look at it.

Now, HTDAAB went too far in the opposite direction and had some serious cheese on it. It was the first U2 album I heard blatant cheese on it. But the problem is with this band, is that even its cheesy moments can ring true to you. I find myself listening to that album again recently. Loud in your earphones. It aint bad at all.

And then we come to NLOTH, which was a definite departure in terms of sound. It scaled down the cheese.  And now people are like...eh that was rubbish. But I loved it. And gave an instant impression a strong review.

So the fact is, the band can never win right now. They have too broad a range of fans to satisfy everyone. They will disappoint as much as they please.

What do they want? I think they do want a couple of songs that everyone in the world loves. They didnt have that on the last album. I think thats what they mean when they say they want radio tunes. And one could say they are entitled to have that desire since the previous albums experimentation gave them none.

What do I want to hear? I don't even know anymore. They have done it all.

I would like some anger and serious attitude. But not in the sense of lets get countries together and spread peace and love.  ( I don't think the band are angry anymore. So they just cant fake that).

I want Bono vocally strong. I think he will be.

I want some amazing lyrics. Again there will be. There could be some duds. But Bonos lyrics always get me thinking.

The first ever song that I heard from U2 that made me think...they wrote this in their sleep was Walk On. I dont want to feel they went through the motions on anything.

And agreed, I dont want lots of silly lyrics cobbled together like GOYB, Vertigo and Elevation. Although let me stress...love all these tunes.

So we need to face it. We will love it. We will hate it. We will want more. And we wont get it for some time. So lets just embrace our indifference and take whats to come :-)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 02:15:41 PM by BalconyTV »

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2013, 02:17:32 PM »
Good post above - although cant agree about ATYCLB

Elevation is just horrible, wild honey dreadful, grace - dull, when i look at the world - dull, new york - urgh. Peace on earth is so bad it defies description i couldnt believe what i was hearing.

The rest is ok in a safe 'lets appeal to the 30 somethings who didnt get pop'  way As well as the conservative american radio rock stations.

Kite the stand out track.

What i want from u2 is some balls, attitude, aggression and fire, with some kinetic sounds that use more heavy sounds than they have for the last decade and darker themes- getting that from 50 odd year old multi millionaires might be asking too much though.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 02:22:51 PM by an tha »

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2013, 02:23:06 PM »
I just want to press repeat. Gimme some great hooks if you have great hooks your halfway there

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2013, 02:29:45 PM »
I reckon we should leave U2's creative process to the artists.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2013, 03:06:39 PM »
So the fact is, the band can never win right now. They have too broad a range of fans to satisfy everyone. They will disappoint as much as they please.

So we need to face it. We will love it. We will hate it. We will want more. And we wont get it for some time. So lets just embrace our indifference and take whats to come :-)

All this times 1,000.

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2013, 09:07:38 PM »
There won't be old songs played by new guys, but there will be new songs played by old guys.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2013, 10:23:15 AM »
I, for one, am not ashamed of the last decade, though I concede that it lacked an overall artistic direction. It still produced great music. I love walk on, elevation, saints, electrical storm, cobl, vertigo, MOS, kite,  being born. I do think they are dreaming it all up again, and I think they made the mistake of not changing production teams earlier. However the talent is still there. The drive is there. I believe in it

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2013, 10:29:23 AM »
I hope they dream their live shows up all over again, too.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2013, 03:30:41 PM »
I hope they dream their live shows up all over again, too.

TD, for once we agree on something. I loved the sheer hugeness of 360, and I don't think there is any merit in being a niche act, but it felt like it was one level away from being a greatest hits grand finale of an aging act.

I would like to see something smaller, perhaps in the round again, but with more of a focus on a presentation theme (a-la Zoo TV), an Altar Ego, or something completely new that I had never thought of.  Dazzle me, U2! Dazzle me!!

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2013, 03:57:55 PM »
The 360 stage just didn't work for starters - If you were close to it there was nothing visual to look at really to compliment the performance as with the screen being so high up and directly above the band it wasn't easy to look at /see  - just 4 small figures on the stage.

If you were further from the stage or up in the seats the structure was just so big it dwarfed the band.

Add in lacklustre "phoned in performances" and for me it was their worst stadium presentation.

The size of the thing and how much floor space it took up and the bands insistence on this inner circle thing which creates a break in the throng on the pitch and also breaks up the sheer volume of people on the floor with its seperate gates extra barriers etc was a problem and for me dilutes the atmosphere.

I would much rather see a return to the one mass of humanity on the pitch if they play stadiums again like there was for Zoo and Popmart.