Poll

Which of these songs do you WANT to see on the new album?

Every Breaking Wave
90 (28.4%)
North Star
41 (12.9%)
Mercy
55 (17.4%)
Soon
32 (10.1%)
Return of the Stingray Guitar
36 (11.4%)
Glastonbury
17 (5.4%)
None of the above thank you very much
46 (14.5%)

Total Members Voted: 174

Author Topic: Old songs on the new album?  (Read 21502 times)

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
Re: Old songs on the new album?
« Reply #60 on: July 02, 2013, 04:03:29 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The 360 stage just didn't work for starters - If you were close to it there was nothing visual to look at really to compliment the performance as with the screen being so high up and directly above the band it wasn't easy to look at /see  - just 4 small figures on the stage.

If you were further from the stage or up in the seats the structure was just so big it dwarfed the band.

Add in lacklustre "phoned in performances" and for me it was their worst stadium presentation.

The size of the thing and how much floor space it took up and the bands insistence on this inner circle thing which creates a break in the throng on the pitch and also breaks up the sheer volume of people on the floor with its seperate gates extra barriers etc was a problem and for me dilutes the atmosphere.

I would much rather see a return to the one mass of humanity on the pitch if they play stadiums again like there was for Zoo and Popmart.

It's a genius design, no doubt about it. And the great thing about the 360 set up was it allowed so many more people to get up close and personal with the band in the inner circle. That was a great feature. Over 75% of the gigs I attended I managed to do this and I was very thankful to see my favourite band at such a close proximity, the looks on peoples faces around me only compounded that viewpoint.

U2 are great at incorporating their aims into the design for a tour. When 360 worked it really worked. Watch the rose bowl dvd and tell me it wasn't amazing to watch. From the catwalked featuring until the end of the world to Bono atop speakers on Streets to the milky way finale. 360 was a great feat and something they can look back on and be extremely proud of.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #61 on: July 02, 2013, 04:08:07 PM »
The 360 stage just didn't work for starters - If you were close to it there was nothing visual to look at really to compliment the performance as with the screen being so high up and directly above the band it wasn't easy to look at /see  - just 4 small figures on the stage.

If you were further from the stage or up in the seats the structure was just so big it dwarfed the band.

Add in lacklustre "phoned in performances" and for me it was their worst stadium presentation.

The size of the thing and how much floor space it took up and the bands insistence on this inner circle thing which creates a break in the throng on the pitch and also breaks up the sheer volume of people on the floor with its seperate gates extra barriers etc was a problem and for me dilutes the atmosphere.

I would much rather see a return to the one mass of humanity on the pitch if they play stadiums again like there was for Zoo and Popmart.

It's a genius design, no doubt about it. And the great thing about the 360 set up was it allowed so many more people to get up close and personal with the band in the inner circle. That was a great feature. Over 75% of the gigs I attended I managed to do this and I was very thankful to see my favourite band at such a close proximity, the looks on peoples faces around me only compounded that viewpoint.

U2 are great at incorporating their aims into the design for a tour. When 360 worked it really worked. Watch the rose bowl dvd and tell me it wasn't amazing to watch. From the catwalked featuring until the end of the world to Bono atop speakers on Streets to the milky way finale. 360 was a great feat and something they can look back on and be extremely proud of.

It's all about opinions, for me it didn't work it just didn't engage enough and the Rosebowl DVD is IMO a horrible show, with a horrible crowd and a very average U2 performance.

I attended 3 360 shows including the opening night at Croke Park, and I was underwhelmed with them.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2013, 04:10:40 PM »

It's all about opinions, for me it didn't work it just didn't engage enough and the Rosebowl DVD is IMO a horrible show, with a horrible crowd and a very average U2 performance.

I attended 3 360 shows including the opening night at Croke Park, and I was underwhelmed with them.

I guess there's no pleasing some people. I attended 5 shows and loved all of them, Wembley 2 and Rome were the highlights. You'll miss them when they are gone :)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #63 on: July 02, 2013, 04:18:40 PM »

I guess there's no pleasing some people. I attended 5 shows and loved all of them, Wembley 2 and Rome were the highlights. You'll miss them when they are gone :)

Different srokes and all that.... I love the band, but I have found it harder to keep loving them since the release of ATYCLB and what has followed it, I remember putting ATYCLB on the first time and for the first time since I fell in love with the bands music I sat there thinking "Oh, no what is this" I played the album over and over again for weeks hoping  for it to grow on me, for it to draw me in - it didn't.... HTDAAB was no better, and NLOTH just confused me, it didn't know what it was meant to be IMO....When they nail it, on record or live, they are still a sight (or sound) to behold, but for me they just haven't done it enough since then. I am hoping they engage me again the way they used to.

I will say though that I went to see them at Cardiff on the Vertigo tour and that was one of those nights where they had "lift off" and it the love affair was rekindled. But 360 for me was a real downer. Let's see whats next - I still believe they have greatness in them, but they need to take chances again and stop playing it safe.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #64 on: July 02, 2013, 04:18:44 PM »

It's a genius design, no doubt about it.

Who was it that designed LAX's air traffic control tower?

Offline ABloodRedSky

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • We're sorry, we're closed for lunch.
« Reply #65 on: July 02, 2013, 04:20:53 PM »
I said none of the above. I think EBW and Soon are nice enough, but I want all new songs. It's been four years, dammit!  :D

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2013, 04:25:04 PM »

Yea i agree with you. It was a weak ugly set up with alot of phoned-in performances.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #67 on: July 02, 2013, 04:28:37 PM »
I said none of the above. I think EBW and Soon are nice enough, but I want all new songs. It's been four years, dammit!  :D

EBW in it's finished recorded state would be a new song. 

Offline JTBaby

• Elevated
« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2013, 09:36:26 PM »

Not only did i buy and watch the Rose Bowl DVD, I was there.

It was by far the worst U2 show I have ever seen, (I've seen >50 shows total, every tour except lovetown) and was a total waste of the blu-ray format.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 09:01:16 AM by JTBaby »

Offline Swimming Sorrows

• Stateless
« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2013, 08:53:07 AM »
Just EBW as it is probably the highest quality of the lot. I'm also curious to hear a studio version.

It's time to let Mercy and North Star go. For fans of HTDAAB or to just end an era it would be nice to get them on a fan club release however. 

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2013, 01:21:59 PM »
Middle of the road is in the ear of the listener, I think. What some have defined as dull such as Grace is to me a beautiful, emotionally stirring song. And, contrary to the popular opinion, I consider The Joshua Tree to be mostly dull and forgettable.

U2 tried to please everybody with NLOTH by throwing rockers (Stand Up Comedy, Breathe, No Line On The Horizon), ballads (Moment of Surrender, White As Snow), wild experimentation (Fez - Being Born,  Cedars of Lebanon) and grasps at pop radio (Magnificent, Boots, Crazy Tonight) all together on one disc. And it still didn't do the trick. They need to stop worrying about how people are going to react and trying to please everybody and just make what they want to make.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2013, 02:30:48 PM »
U2 tried to please everybody with NLOTH by throwing rockers (Stand Up Comedy, Breathe, No Line On The Horizon), ballads (Moment of Surrender, White As Snow), wild experimentation (Fez - Being Born,  Cedars of Lebanon) and grasps at pop radio (Magnificent, Boots, Crazy Tonight) all together on one disc. And it still didn't do the trick. They need to stop worrying about how people are going to react and trying to please everybody and just make what they want to make.

The question becomes whether or not they do want to "trap" themselves to one type of music though. Who's to say that all their music would sound the same or ambient and experimental if they made what they supposedly wanted to? Maybe they want some songs with big riffs and choruses, or rockers mixed with atmospheric sounds. It doesn't mean they want everything to sound like Fez or Cedars in the end.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2013, 05:06:52 PM »
I think if NLOTH had All my life on it it might have been U2's best album. All it needed was a big hit single, let's be honest. Jettison Boots and it would be a great great album.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2013, 05:22:45 PM »
The Rose Bowl show really is a mess, both the show itself and the video. Adding in stupid animated parts and the rapid editing is the cherry on top of the pile of crap.

I was hoping that another (better) 360 show would be shot and filmed, because the Rose Bowl gig is not how the tour should be remembered.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #74 on: July 07, 2013, 06:14:34 PM »
The Rose Bowl show really is a mess, both the show itself and the video. Adding in stupid animated parts and the rapid editing is the cherry on top of the pile of crap.

I was hoping that another (better) 360 show would be shot and filmed, because the Rose Bowl gig is not how the tour should be remembered.

and seeing as the previous 2 tours had multiple releases on DVD and this, the biggest tour in the history of tours, only got one sub par show on DVD/Blu-Ray is just odd.