Author Topic: Zooropa was released 20 years ago today  (Read 6258 times)

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
Re: Zooropa was released 20 years ago today
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2013, 01:10:39 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Oh, yes! The sound of a band who were at their creative peak, a band who didn't worry about being relevant, or appealing to Radio - just the sound of a band making the music they wanted to make and doing it during the madness of rock musics greatest ever tour.

Magical stuff!

Yes...what happened to THAT band?  I mentioned this before, but I went to pick up the cassette (it was still a popular medium in every record store) with my allowance on the Friday after its release.  It was the hottest day of the year.  I played that cassette back and forth all day, then all night.  It was an amazing experience.  I didn't sleep until 6 in the morning the next day.  There was something about that album I tried to wrap my 15 year old mind around, but I didn't know what it was.  So I spent HOURS trying to figure it out, haha.  I still have that tape somewhere, in fact, somehow intact too.  And knowing that it took just 12 weeks to make that record makes their so-called explanation of Pop's "unfinished" nature a load of BS in retrospect.  They were running on CREATIVITY in 1993, and it was a beautiful thing to see unfold.

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • I’m born again to the latest sound
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2013, 07:48:00 AM »
Oh, yes! The sound of a band who were at their creative peak, a band who didn't worry about being relevant, or appealing to Radio - just the sound of a band making the music they wanted to make and doing it during the madness of rock musics greatest ever tour.

Magical stuff!

Yes...what happened to THAT band?  I mentioned this before, but I went to pick up the cassette (it was still a popular medium in every record store) with my allowance on the Friday after its release.  It was the hottest day of the year.  I played that cassette back and forth all day, then all night.  It was an amazing experience.  I didn't sleep until 6 in the morning the next day.  There was something about that album I tried to wrap my 15 year old mind around, but I didn't know what it was.  So I spent HOURS trying to figure it out, haha.  I still have that tape somewhere, in fact, somehow intact too.  And knowing that it took just 12 weeks to make that record makes their so-called explanation of Pop's "unfinished" nature a load of BS in retrospect.  They were running on CREATIVITY in 1993, and it was a beautiful thing to see unfold.

This seriously gave me goosebumps. I felt the same about Led Zeppelin's Kashmir about the same age.  ;)

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2013, 08:28:24 AM »
"And these are the days when our work has come asunder. And these are the days when we look for something other."

Great album, overshadowed by Achtung Baby, but still great. 

I still yearn for the day I see "Dirty Day" performed live (and "Lemon" would be great too if Bono can still do the falsetto.) 

Offline Bads316

• Elevated
  • Ain't nothin' but a muffin
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2013, 09:16:32 AM »

Offline Ln X

• Stateless
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2013, 10:03:02 AM »
20 years and it still sounds so fresh and new!

IMO Zooropa was what U2 were really aiming for with Achtung Baby, AB (one solid record) half reminded me of JT without the gospel themes and traded them with some hard rock.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2013, 10:41:58 AM »

Good read. The first time i've heard this....

" On lead single and album standout “Numb”"

i like Numb and my gf LOVES it, but i never heard it praised like that before.

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
Zooropa was released 20 years ago today
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2013, 12:45:50 PM »
Happy anniversary to a wonderful, overlooked  album

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2013, 12:59:50 PM »
Zooropa is definitely one of the very best U2 albums but I don't need to tell that to any cool fan.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2013, 04:45:45 PM »

Magical stuff!

Sadly I think we have to accept that "THAT BAND" is no more, let's hope that they can re-invent themselves and still wow us though.....

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2013, 08:10:26 PM »

Magical stuff!

Sadly I think we have to accept that "THAT BAND" is no more, let's hope that they can re-invent themselves and still wow us though.....

Yes, I think you're right, though seeing this band now, it's almost hard to believe they were 'That Band' back then, and it's not just because of age.  I like to be hopeful as you said that they could at least wow us in a good way.  I believe that they could, but the question is are they willing to do so or will they just be Top 40ing until the end?

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2013, 09:45:27 PM »
in honor of the 20th i've been listening to my 40 song Zooropa playlist that entails *everything* from the Zooropa era, minus the AB stuff.

Offline Runtmg

• Refugee
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2013, 10:27:41 PM »
Zooropa still holds up really, really well.  Brian eno once talked about the "hollywoodization" of album making where a 12 song album can take a year and be overly sanitized by the end. 

This album was made late at night and it is just beautiful.  There are no big hits on this record that the masses remember but it is an album that is bold and meant for late night listening.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2013, 10:29:02 PM »
Still my favourite album. I never get tired of listening to it.

It's the comparison to Zooropa that makes listening to ATYCLB and HTDAAB particularly painful to me. If it wasn't for Zooropa (and Pop), I probably wouldn't find the albums so cringe-worthy.

See, for me Zooropa and Atomic Bomb are tied for my favorite U2 albums. I love Zooropa for its intelligence and originality, Atomic Bomb for the sheer songcraft and musicianship. Lemon and City Of Blinding Lights may be my favorite U2 songs ever.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2013, 10:30:54 PM »
"And these are the days when our work has come asunder. And these are the days when we look for something other."

Great album, overshadowed by Achtung Baby, but still great. 

I still yearn for the day I see "Dirty Day" performed live (and "Lemon" would be great too if Bono can still do the falsetto.) 

I would even be happy if Bono decided to do Lemon an octave lower, or if they decided to do a reworked version of it. The complete brilliance of the song is enough to survive most any interpretation the band would do.

hrsan

« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2013, 04:37:06 AM »
On the live from Sydney, I loved The live version of Dirty Day, that and the reworked Running to Stand Still are my favorites.  To think that U2 disagreed with winning the Grammy for this album, and despite how good it was, I still feel Smashing Pumpkins' Mellon Collie should have won.  Maybe they did too.