Author Topic: Zooropa was released 20 years ago today  (Read 6255 times)

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
Re: Zooropa was released 20 years ago today
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2013, 07:44:51 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
On the live from Sydney, I loved The live version of Dirty Day, that and the reworked Running to Stand Still are my favorites.  To think that U2 disagreed with winning the Grammy for this album, and despite how good it was, I still feel Smashing Pumpkins' Mellon Collie should have won.  Maybe they did too.

Siamese Dream. MCIS was 1995

hrsan

« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2013, 12:33:14 PM »
On the live from Sydney, I loved The live version of Dirty Day, that and the reworked Running to Stand Still are my favorites.  To think that U2 disagreed with winning the Grammy for this album, and despite how good it was, I still feel Smashing Pumpkins' Mellon Collie should have won.  Maybe they did too.

Siamese Dream. MCIS was 1995

I'm losing my mind.  You are correct. It was Siamese Dream. It was also up against Automatic for the People, In Utero and someone else. As much as I loved Zooropa it still shouldn't have won IMO.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2013, 12:53:39 PM »
What in the world is In Utero?

Offline AJ

• Elevated
  • Vinyl Guru
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2013, 01:15:48 PM »
3rd Nirvana album, and their last

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2013, 01:18:30 PM »

lol.

Offline EnduringChill

• Genius of Compression
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2013, 01:22:26 PM »
Tough competition... Automatic For The People is awesome, and weren't Nirvana really popular at the time? I'm surprised Zooropa won (although I believe it was the best album, but it wasn't really "alternative" as alternative would come to be known as, even though it was definitely an alternative to popular music at the time).

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2013, 02:51:38 PM »
Here's a link to a youtube video that features a clip of Bono accepting the award. 

Most of the video is "The Wanderer" studio version with Bono's voice added in as a duet.

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2013, 02:53:34 PM »
This is from singer/songwriter Matt Nathanson's website.  He looooooves U2.

U2’s Zooropa was released 20 years ago today. i remember going to newbury comics (on newbury st.) w/aaron tap at midnight, day of release, to buy this record. we walked back to his apartment on comm ave. and listened to it on repeat all night. an underrated gem, in my opinion. super dark, super moody, SUPER eno. totally fit my dark, warped, tiny 20yr old mind which, at the time, was also getting blown open by pj harvey, bettie serveert and afghan whigs. I was dying to exert control over my own life. wanting so badly to be done with who I was and get on to who i SHOULD be… transition city. this record was a perfect soundtrack.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2013, 03:38:07 PM »
3rd Nirvana album, and their last

Ah. I was never a Nirvana fan. I thought Kurt Cobain's "singing" sounded like a cat with its tail jammed in a door.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2013, 03:38:54 PM »
Still U2's best album.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Vox

• Running to Stand Still
  • Time is irrelevant, it's not linear.
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2013, 03:42:40 PM »
I remember this day 20 years ago very well.  It was a beautiful, warm summer day.  I was 18 years old.  I was going to the university in a little over a month.  The best summer of my life.  It was a great time to be alive.

I bought the album that afternoon but hadn’t listened to it yet.  I bought the CD and also debated buying the casette, just because.  It was the first U2 album I didn’t buy in casette form.

Earlier that day, my local radio station announced they would play the album in its entirety starting at 10 p.m.  I was at a friend’s house that evening but left a little earlier than usual.  I timed my drive home that night to leave his place at 9:55 so I could listen on the radio on drive home.

I distinctly remember “Zooropa” starting out.  I remember driving home in what seemed to a much darker night than usual.  There were so many bugs flying around in my headlights that it looked like I was flying in hyperspace with the stars flying past.  I remember first hearing the beacon-like Edge guitar sound at around (what I know now to be) the 2-minute point of the song.  By the time that song kicked in at about the 4-minute mark, I think my head nearly imploded.  It was so good.  That song, on that night, at that exact moment was both incredible and mind-altering. 
My 20-minute drive home was over, but I kept driving.  I drove out on some country roads just to listen to the entire album.  I could have went home and played the CD, but listening to that album in that way at that time seemed so appropriate.  The future was wide-open.  “Uncertainty can be the guiding light.”
Wow.   

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • I’m born again to the latest sound
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2013, 09:45:08 PM »
Wow indeed! :)

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2013, 10:40:51 AM »
Here's a link to a youtube video that features a clip of Bono accepting the award. 
Most of the video is "The Wanderer" studio version with Bono's voice added in as a duet.

Horrible sacrilege...

Time to storm the AVID production studio and destroy all mixing software

Offline smalin186

• Refugee
« Reply #58 on: July 06, 2013, 11:47:00 PM »
I offer up this hatchet job on the anniversary courtesy of SPIN magazine. Do people really hate "Lemon"?

Offline Ln X

• Stateless
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2013, 01:58:03 AM »
I offer up this hatchet job on the anniversary courtesy of SPIN magazine. Do people really hate "Lemon"?

No wonder U2 shy away from their 90s period and are outwardly distant about it.

in honor of the 20th i've been listening to my 40 song Zooropa playlist that entails *everything* from the Zooropa era, minus the AB stuff.

What are the other 30 songs? I mean I thought nearly all of U2's B-sides in that period originated from the AB sessions.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 02:06:40 AM by Ln X »