Author Topic: Zooropa was released 20 years ago today  (Read 6256 times)

Offline xy

• Child of Grace
Re: Zooropa was released 20 years ago today
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2013, 05:48:52 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I offer up this hatchet job on the anniversary courtesy of SPIN magazine. Do people really hate "Lemon"?

But to stage such a ferocious comeback, you've got to fall off. Which brings us to Zooropa ..

No. Pop was the fall. Zooropa is the overlooked one.

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2013, 10:34:58 AM »
Here's a link to a youtube video that features a clip of Bono accepting the award. 
Most of the video is "The Wanderer" studio version with Bono's voice added in as a duet.

Horrible sacrilege...

Time to storm the AVID production studio and destroy all mixing software

I don't know; I found it kind of interesting - not perfect but curious.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2013, 11:07:35 AM »
I offer up this hatchet job on the anniversary courtesy of SPIN magazine. Do people really hate "Lemon"?

Read the comments to the article. Every single one is piling on the author and disagreeing strongly with him.

Any article that breathlessly claims ATYCLB was a "grandiose success" and "ferocious" should be an instant and permanent loss of credibility anyway.

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Child of Grace
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2013, 02:32:31 PM »

Read the comments to the article. Every single one is piling on the author and disagreeing strongly with him.

Any article that breathlessly claims ATYCLB was a "grandiose success" and "ferocious" should be an instant and permanent loss of credibility anyway.

It doesn't say either of those things. That's deceptive quoting. "2000's All That You Can't Leave Behind, a massive back-to-grandiose-basics success" and "But to stage such a ferocious comeback" are the actual quotes. Pretty much all of what the article says about Zooropa is BS, in my opinion, but to say that ATYCLB wasn't a massive success and that they didn't work their butts off to reaffirm their pop culture relevance (take the value of that as you will) is just being purposefully dismissive. Zooropa was amazingly smart and daring, ATYCLB was amazingly fun and easy, both were ambitious in their own ways, and it's fine to take them as the two different beasts they are. It doesn't have to be a competition. And lest you declare that I'm playing favorites, look at my user icon and then my user quote :-)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 02:36:16 PM by ian ryan »

Offline LToy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2013, 04:49:51 PM »
My takeaway from Rob Harvilla's SPIN magazine article is summed up in the last sentence:

Mark this record, then, as a celebration of a time when U2 was still musically daring; give "Lemon" credit at least for successfully trolling you. It is the maddening, befuddling, discomfiting, somewhat ill-advised, occasionally inspired sound of very famous, very difficult men trying on some ill-fitting clothes.

My interpretation of Mr. Harvilla's closing remark is that Zooropa planted the seed of self doubt that has led U2 on the path that they are currently on.  Instead of continuing to push themselves into uncharted artistic & creative territory after the POP album, they traded in risk taking for comfort & playing it safe.  We know that U2 was (past tense) capable of making music that challenged themselves and their audience & we were willing to go along with it.  And now, since 2000, we've had 3 albums that were for the most part radio friendly & commercially safe, but frankly bland and uninspiring.

If U2 feels this way about albums that they released in the mid-90's (Zooropa, Passengers, & Pop), I think it is because they allowed themselves to be fettered by self-doubt & a lack of confidence and the loss of their conviction that they could pull this off.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 04:54:23 PM by LToy »

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2013, 05:13:24 PM »
To be fair though, it seems that a lot of fans didn't accept their experimental stuff (at the time anyways)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #66 on: July 07, 2013, 05:21:53 PM »
My takeaway from Rob Harvilla's SPIN magazine article is summed up in the last sentence:

Mark this record, then, as a celebration of a time when U2 was still musically daring; give "Lemon" credit at least for successfully trolling you. It is the maddening, befuddling, discomfiting, somewhat ill-advised, occasionally inspired sound of very famous, very difficult men trying on some ill-fitting clothes.

My interpretation of Mr. Harvilla's closing remark is that Zooropa planted the seed of self doubt that has led U2 on the path that they are currently on.  Instead of continuing to push themselves into uncharted artistic & creative territory after the POP album, they traded in risk taking for comfort & playing it safe.  We know that U2 was (past tense) capable of making music that challenged themselves and their audience & we were willing to go along with it.  And now, since 2000, we've had 3 albums that were for the most part radio friendly & commercially safe, but frankly bland and uninspiring.

If U2 feels this way about albums that they released in the mid-90's (Zooropa, Passengers, & Pop), I think it is because they allowed themselves to be fettered by self-doubt & a lack of confidence and the loss of their conviction that they could pull this off.

Interesting - my take is that U2 bottled it after Pop - They listened to (in particular) America's grumbles about Zooropa and Pop and retreated back into their shells making safe music that would please that audience again.... I remember the reaction in the main to Zooropa and Pop in the USA and the falling attendances on the Popmart tour, those albums had a "European" sound and America does not like that in its U2 - The album and the tour was just not "got" by U2's audience of 30's somethings who wanted the "good old U2" back, who were probably still playing ISHFWILF and WOWY at dinner parties  - what came next though wasn't really good old U2 it was a watered down version of that. Pop was also a bit of a misfit with what was going on in the UK at the time - although generally I think British U2 fans appreciated Pop and Zooropa more than U2 fans in America - but still people saw them as albums that were too experimental. I recall a friend of mine who upon the release of Zooropa said "It's the first time I have felt let down by U2" I was the complete opposite, I loved it and I loved Pop.... Sadly IMO the large bulk of U2's fan base seems to prefer their U2 safe and earnest - Give me Mofo or Lemon over Yahweh or Peace on Earth any day of the week.... But I don't think that a very large amount of U2's audience sees U2 as a band who should be making Mofo and Lemon and frankly just don't "Get it".

Just my opinion of course!

surit87

« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2013, 12:46:47 AM »
A true great album has the ability to polarize listeners, Zooropa is one.

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2013, 08:26:04 AM »