Author Topic: An interesting tweet....  (Read 39447 times)

Offline MR. Upson_Pratt

• Wanderer
  • There's not going to be any more DAMN BUGS
Re: An interesting tweet....
« Reply #120 on: March 22, 2016, 08:21:51 AM »
I could be very wrong, but I believe Rollins has backed off Bono/U2 in recent years. I'm not saying he's embraced them or anything remotely close to that, but -unless I'm mistaken- he has been pretty quiet about U2 for the last handful of years.

Maybe he decided there were more important things to worry about, and far more worthy targets to take aim at. Who knows? During the backlash of the iTunes release, while everyone and their uncle was piling on, his voice was noticeably absent. Even Ian McCulloch got in a few jabs, but I didn't see anything from Rollins - and believe me I looked.

My guess is he realized he'd aggressively criticized them enough over the years and decided to move on. I doubt members of U2 and Rollins have bumped into each other(figures they don't run in the same circles), but if Bono and Rollins did run into each other I think they'd both be brief and amiable enough to with other. It wouldn't be that exciting. Bono and McCulloch bumping into each other? Now that would be interesting. I would want to see that.

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #121 on: March 22, 2016, 10:01:33 AM »
Did Rollins ever bash Bono/U2 for specific reasons, or was it just that he was calling them p-$$!e$.  I know he gives a lot of bands grief just because he considers them to be lame.  Saw him go off on Collective Souls for 10 minutes just because he thought their music sucked.

Offline MR. Upson_Pratt

• Wanderer
  • There's not going to be any more DAMN BUGS
« Reply #122 on: March 22, 2016, 10:48:17 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Did Rollins ever bash Bono/U2 for specific reasons, or was it just that he was calling them p-$$!e$.  I know he gives a lot of bands grief just because he considers them to be lame.  Saw him go off on Collective Souls for 10 minutes just because he thought their music sucked.

ShankAsu, with Rollins it's a grocery list of complaints about U2, and he's been at it since the early 90s.

He doesn't like their music(I believe he called their rhythm section the most boring in mainstream music, or something to that effect), doesn't like what he perceives as their method(stadium sell outs, bland music for the masses, lack of material, sap great producers(Eno) to get their ideas/sound), doesn't like their image/how they carry themselves, doesn't like how they're glorified/elevated up on a pedestal, doesn't seem to care for them as people(called Edge a pious pilgrim) and has, on numerous occasions, been very vocally critical of Bono's activism and motivations.

That's kind of it in a nutshell, I think. Don't mean to brush you off, but it would take me writing an essay to get in-depth and I'm just not up to that right now. If you're still curious, I would just google "Henry Rollins U2" and there will be no shortage of material....although, like I said, none of it is really recent. Also, I believe one of his rants about U2 from one of his spoken-word shows from the 90s is on YouTube.

I guess I can kinda see where he's coming from, and maybe he makes a good point or too, but to me I think his criticism is mostly misplaced in favor of taking shots at a big entity. Thankfully it seems he's moved on as of late. I still think a Rollins/Bono run-in would result in no big deal. A brief acknowledgement and that would be it. They're both mature adults, but I don't think they'll ever be pals or particularly interested in carrying on a long dialogue with each other.

Offline Mr. Red

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #123 on: March 22, 2016, 11:10:37 AM »
If Bono and Rollins ran into each other in a bar, there'd be arguments all night, but they'd walk out at the crack of dawn, drunk as skunks and best of mates.

No chance

Offline ShankAsu

• Desert Rose
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #124 on: March 22, 2016, 11:30:55 AM »

ShankAsu, with Rollins it's a grocery list of complaints about U2, and he's been at it since the early 90s.

He doesn't like their music(I believe he called their rhythm section the most boring in mainstream music, or something to that effect), doesn't like what he perceives as their method(stadium sell outs, bland music for the masses, lack of material, sap great producers(Eno) to get their ideas/sound), doesn't like their image/how they carry themselves, doesn't like how they're glorified/elevated up on a pedestal, doesn't seem to care for them as people(called Edge a pious pilgrim) and has, on numerous occasions, been very vocally critical of Bono's activism and motivations.

That's kind of it in a nutshell, I think. Don't mean to brush you off, but it would take me writing an essay to get in-depth and I'm just not up to that right now. If you're still curious, I would just google "Henry Rollins U2" and there will be no shortage of material....although, like I said, none of it is really recent. Also, I believe one of his rants about U2 from one of his spoken-word shows from the 90s is on YouTube.

I guess I can kinda see where he's coming from, and maybe he makes a good point or too, but to me I think his criticism is mostly misplaced in favor of taking shots at a big entity. Thankfully it seems he's moved on as of late. I still think a Rollins/Bono run-in would result in no big deal. A brief acknowledgement and that would be it. They're both mature adults, but I don't think they'll ever be pals or particularly interested in carrying on a long dialogue with each other.
Cool, thanks for the reply.  I think I've heard the clip of Rollins going off on Bono.  Rollins is an interesting guy.  I like some of his books but often I think he picks easy targets for no discernible reason. 

Offline whiteelephant

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #125 on: March 22, 2016, 01:05:18 PM »
Bono and Henry Rollins almost appeared together in Johnny Mnemonic...almost.

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #126 on: March 23, 2016, 02:42:27 AM »
Bono and McCulloch bumping into each other? Now that would be interesting. I would want to see that.

I'd pay to see that.

I'm shipping the Bono and Rollins bromance. Bollins? Bonry?

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #127 on: March 23, 2016, 02:46:27 AM »
Henry Rollins is boss.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #128 on: March 26, 2016, 08:42:02 AM »

now that's determination!

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #129 on: January 05, 2017, 11:45:45 AM »

Waffles

« Reply #130 on: January 05, 2017, 12:07:46 PM »

Cringe

Offline MattD

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #131 on: January 05, 2017, 12:38:44 PM »
"THIS IS ACTUALLY HAPPENING!"

"WE'VE GOT EXCITING NEWS FOR YOU ALL!"

"NO JOKE! THIS IS REAL!".....

....Stop right there. I have no interest if this has nothing to do with new music. And it mostly never is about the music these days.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #132 on: January 05, 2017, 03:14:25 PM »
Get a sense of humor, y'all.

Offline georgemccauley

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #133 on: January 05, 2017, 08:43:41 PM »
Get a sense of humor, y'all.

I thought it was quite funny to tell you the truth, put a smile on my face  ::) ;)

Offline This Dave

• Numb
« Reply #134 on: January 06, 2017, 06:26:05 PM »

Cool, thanks for the reply.  I think I've heard the clip of Rollins going off on Bono.  Rollins is an interesting guy.  I like some of his books but often I think he picks easy targets for no discernible reason.

He also doesn't like the shape of Bono's ass. Yeah, I don't know why he felt the need to comment on that.

I feel like everything you need to know about Rollins is summed up in that clip where he lectures the kids at the record store when they say "Get in the van" to him (the name of his book).  Imagine having such a fragile ego that you are a man in his 50's who has to turn around and chase down a group of teenaged kids WHILE YOU ARE BEING FILMED FOR AN INTERVIEW to lecture them about 'in my day' because you think they might have been slighting you.  Is that not exactly the cartoon of "The Man" that the punks of Rollins' era thought they were winding up in the first place?  His intensity is that of an insufferable 18 year old...something Bono was smart enough to grow out of not so long after he was actually 18.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 06:28:26 PM by This Dave »