Author Topic: An interesting tweet....  (Read 39439 times)

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
Re: An interesting tweet....
« Reply #135 on: March 01, 2017, 08:03:59 AM »

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #136 on: March 01, 2017, 11:25:34 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Did Rollins ever bash Bono/U2 for specific reasons, or was it just that he was calling them p-$$!e$.  I know he gives a lot of bands grief just because he considers them to be lame.  Saw him go off on Collective Souls for 10 minutes just because he thought their music sucked.

ShankAsu, with Rollins it's a grocery list of complaints about U2, and he's been at it since the early 90s.

He doesn't like their music(I believe he called their rhythm section the most boring in mainstream music, or something to that effect), doesn't like what he perceives as their method(stadium sell outs, bland music for the masses, lack of material, sap great producers(Eno) to get their ideas/sound), doesn't like their image/how they carry themselves, doesn't like how they're glorified/elevated up on a pedestal, doesn't seem to care for them as people(called Edge a pious pilgrim) and has, on numerous occasions, been very vocally critical of Bono's activism and motivations.

That's kind of it in a nutshell, I think. Don't mean to brush you off, but it would take me writing an essay to get in-depth and I'm just not up to that right now. If you're still curious, I would just google "Henry Rollins U2" and there will be no shortage of material....although, like I said, none of it is really recent. Also, I believe one of his rants about U2 from one of his spoken-word shows from the 90s is on YouTube.

I guess I can kinda see where he's coming from, and maybe he makes a good point or too, but to me I think his criticism is mostly misplaced in favor of taking shots at a big entity. Thankfully it seems he's moved on as of late. I still think a Rollins/Bono run-in would result in no big deal. A brief acknowledgement and that would be it. They're both mature adults, but I don't think they'll ever be pals or particularly interested in carrying on a long dialogue with each other.
Cool, thanks for the reply.  I think I've heard the clip of Rollins going off on Bono.  Rollins is an interesting guy.  I like some of his books but often I think he picks easy targets for no discernible reason. 

I believe I also remember Rollins going on about Bono's "white flag" routine circa War.  I think he seemed to take aim at the philosophy of "surrender" that Bono and U2 were espousing (and continued to do so).  And yeah, there was some comment about his "bubble butt".

And now I realize this was from a year ago.  Oops.  As you were!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 11:27:42 AM by Johnny Feathers »

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #137 on: March 01, 2017, 01:13:03 PM »
Did Rollins ever bash Bono/U2 for specific reasons, or was it just that he was calling them p-$$!e$.  I know he gives a lot of bands grief just because he considers them to be lame.  Saw him go off on Collective Souls for 10 minutes just because he thought their music sucked.

ShankAsu, with Rollins it's a grocery list of complaints about U2, and he's been at it since the early 90s.

He doesn't like their music(I believe he called their rhythm section the most boring in mainstream music, or something to that effect), doesn't like what he perceives as their method(stadium sell outs, bland music for the masses, lack of material, sap great producers(Eno) to get their ideas/sound), doesn't like their image/how they carry themselves, doesn't like how they're glorified/elevated up on a pedestal, doesn't seem to care for them as people(called Edge a pious pilgrim) and has, on numerous occasions, been very vocally critical of Bono's activism and motivations.

That's kind of it in a nutshell, I think. Don't mean to brush you off, but it would take me writing an essay to get in-depth and I'm just not up to that right now. If you're still curious, I would just google "Henry Rollins U2" and there will be no shortage of material....although, like I said, none of it is really recent. Also, I believe one of his rants about U2 from one of his spoken-word shows from the 90s is on YouTube.

I guess I can kinda see where he's coming from, and maybe he makes a good point or too, but to me I think his criticism is mostly misplaced in favor of taking shots at a big entity. Thankfully it seems he's moved on as of late. I still think a Rollins/Bono run-in would result in no big deal. A brief acknowledgement and that would be it. They're both mature adults, but I don't think they'll ever be pals or particularly interested in carrying on a long dialogue with each other.
Cool, thanks for the reply.  I think I've heard the clip of Rollins going off on Bono.  Rollins is an interesting guy.  I like some of his books but often I think he picks easy targets for no discernible reason. 

I believe I also remember Rollins going on about Bono's "white flag" routine circa War.  I think he seemed to take aim at the philosophy of "surrender" that Bono and U2 were espousing (and continued to do so).  And yeah, there was some comment about his "bubble butt".

And now I realize this was from a year ago.  Oops.  As you were!

Haha, yeah I recently found out about the Rollins/U2 feud (or rather, his smack talk of them).

As said by Rollins sometime ago:

"They could never fool me! We always had to see over and over again on any television channel that ****head climbing up and down the P.A. at Redrocks! That guy with the bubble butt waving a white flag! A white flag says, Aim your crosshair sights over here! Kill ME! The one with the flag. Pop that guy. And Edge doing that ****ing fake-ass pilgrim gig like, I'm so pious and low-key with my millions. I'll just play this one Enoesque chord. They've been milking that same bassline and the same guitar change for like five albums and the world kisses their *** and it is the biggest pile of **** I have ever heard!"

and:

“They have the worst rhythm section in big rock. That is the most plodding, corny rhythm section ever to fill a stadium. If you look at some of those records, they’re mediocre Brian Eno records with a bad band in the way. They need a producer like Eno or Daniel Lanois to kind of prop up this cabaret singer and his one-trick pony… I just think when you campaign [to promote both your band and world peace], it turns into a little bit like grandstanding, to me. Some people are completely immersed in charities for 80 to 100 hours a week and he just kind of goes from one to the other. Is he on the road working for that? Or was it just for Newsweek?”

and:

Well I like Bono’s humanitarian efforts, because when some people go, “oh, he doesn’t mean it. He’s just doing a photo op,” I disagree. I think he’s very sincere. I just think the music, you know, knowing what I know about music… Bands make so much fun of U2. Ask any band on the bandstand, say U2 and the band starts laughing. Because the drummer can’t play. Bass player plods along. The guitar player, if he didn’t have Brian Eno, he wouldn’t have a guitar sound. It’s basically a Brian Eno guitar sound played by guy who’s got one trick. That’s why there’s no leads, because the guys got nothing in there. And lyrically, I mean, whatever. You like God, you go ahead with that. That melts your butter you go for it. To me those records are for people who’ve lost the will to fight.

Rollins seems like a decent enough musician and person, but he's definitely a big fan of bashing people (both musicians and other celebrities). As of late it seems like he's softened his stance on U2.

Here's the thing I've come to realize about U2: none of the guys are "stand outs" at their instrument. Bono isn't one of the greatest singers or lyricists ever (though I'd argue his lyrics on TJT and AB are some of the best in rock music history). But what's impressive about U2 is when they come together, they create some incredible music. The sum is far greater than the individual parts. And I'd rather have a band like that than one with one or two stand out musicians who create average music as a band.

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #138 on: March 01, 2017, 01:19:16 PM »
To the above, I agree musically the sum greater than the parts.  I would argue however that bono was and to some degree still is considered a great front man and vocalist. His voice, vocal range and distinctive sound surely put him up there with the best of the best in terms of pop/rock vocalists?

But definitely think when a band gels, it sounds better  than say 4 random well accomplished musicians thrown together.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
« Reply #139 on: March 01, 2017, 01:28:45 PM »
To the above, I agree musically the sum greater than the parts.  I would argue however that bono was and to some degree still is considered a great front man and vocalist. His voice, vocal range and distinctive sound surely put him up there with the best of the best in terms of pop/rock vocalists?

But definitely think when a band gels, it sounds better  than say 4 random well accomplished musicians thrown together.

Well....that really depends. There are a lot of people who say Bono doesn't have much range. And compared to, say, Freddie Mercury, they're right. For some, the main criteria they judge a singer by is their range. So a guy like Bono wouldn't be near the top of the list if judged merely on that. For instance, Rolling Stone only ranked Bono #32 on their list of the 100 greatest singers of all time. They also only ranked him #19 on the best frontmen of all time list. However, when Rolling Stone readers picked, they chose Bono as the #3 greatest lead singer of all time--only Mercury and Plant were picked above him.

However, I'd argue that when you factor in his unique vocals, his range, his tone, his charisma on stage, his lyric writing ability--he is definitely one of the best rock frontmen ever. I feel he could have been an even better vocalist had he taken better care of his voice (no smoking, no drinking) but as it stands, he's still very good.

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #140 on: March 01, 2017, 01:53:50 PM »
Not so much range now.. but used to be able to nail a falsetto and also get some lower registers too... Lanois complimented his range on several occasions and I get why.
Certainly he's not THE best, but the mere fact he reaches top 100 out of thousands suggests he's doing well in that department. Although I do hate those polls..

Agree with some of your points, but just think they could boast about having a 'stand out' vocalist. Even if he has cancelled out his singing reputation with all the extra curricular activity.

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #141 on: March 02, 2017, 05:22:59 AM »
Here's the thing I've come to realize about U2: none of the guys are "stand outs" at their instrument. Bono isn't one of the greatest singers or lyricists ever (though I'd argue his lyrics on TJT and AB are some of the best in rock music history). But what's impressive about U2 is when they come together, they create some incredible music. The sum is far greater than the individual parts. And I'd rather have a band like that than one with one or two stand out musicians who create average music as a band.

The sum is greater than the parts but don't underestimate the individual parts. You don't realize how much they "stand out".

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #142 on: March 02, 2017, 05:52:52 AM »

Maybe BC Place? At one time didn't have a roof but now does? Anyone want to wager where this is from?

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #143 on: March 02, 2017, 06:19:47 AM »
Vancouver?

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #144 on: March 02, 2017, 08:38:49 AM »
^ dunno...but that curved array of lights above what is probably a screen reminds me of the Vertigo stadium stage. Didn't they use pretty much that same kind of setup at that show last fall?

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
« Reply #145 on: March 02, 2017, 09:42:49 AM »

The sum is greater than the parts but don't underestimate the individual parts. You don't realize how much they "stand out".

Right, and that's something I've also realized the deeper I dig into their music. You can't hear the bass/drums as much in the newer songs (really anything post-Pop) so it'd be easy to assume that Adam and Larry are just average at their instruments: they don't stand out. But then you listen to "War" and the drums/bass are so good. As I've learned to play bass, I've played quite a few U2 songs and have been really impressed by Adam's work. He and Larry are very underrated. 

I think it's also down to personal musical preference. I can see why someone would listen to The Edge's guitar work and think "he's not as good as Slash, he's not one of the best guitarists," but that is more of a melody vs. speed comparison--Slash can shred and has written some great solos, but I would say The Edge is a better guitarist technically and melodically speaking. You could also compare Bono vs. most "very good" vocalists--I can see why people may not respect Bono as much vocally because his vocal style IS unique and he might not have the range of Mercury (and really, how many singers do?), but he is undoubtably one of the better singers in rock music history and is a very, very accomplished lyricist which I think also is a factor in judging singers.

I think one other factor that should be mentioned is public perception. For whatever reason, a lot of people hate U2 nowadays. Even if they make the most brilliant music ever, some people would not admit it because it's become sort of "trendy" to bash U2. So I think that also causes the band to be pretty underrated/unappreciated and its members to be, too.

^ dunno...but that curved array of lights above what is probably a screen reminds me of the Vertigo stadium stage. Didn't they use pretty much that same kind of setup at that show last fall?

Yeah, they did reuse the Vertigo stadium setup for that, if I recall correctly. Wouldn't surprise me if they reuse it here.

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #146 on: March 02, 2017, 09:59:15 AM »
Look at it this way : to me, U2 is the only band from which every band member has a signature riff on a hit single...

Larry : Sunday Bloody Sunday
Adam : New year's day, With or Without you
Edge & Bono : I don't need to tell you ;-)

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
« Reply #147 on: March 02, 2017, 10:18:19 AM »
Look at it this way : to me, U2 is the only band from which every band member has a signature riff on a hit single...

Larry : Sunday Bloody Sunday
Adam : New year's day, With or Without you
Edge & Bono : I don't need to tell you ;-)

Yeah, that is an excellent point. I should note that my niece recently asked me to teach her to play SBS on drums...man that is a fun, but tiring beat to play. I know both of Adam's signature riffs on bass (WOWY is tiring to play because of the repetition, but it's a lovely melody) and I'd argue he has lots of songs from the 80s/90s with really good/interesting melodies--I find myself really drawn to his bass line on "Two Hearts" lately. I particularly love 80s/90s U2 because all the band members were able to showcase their best on different songs.

It's a shame many music fans don't realize the brilliance. 

Offline DPardue

• Wanderer
« Reply #148 on: March 02, 2017, 10:46:46 AM »
Regarding drums, Larry's work on "Iris" is some of his best work in years.

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #149 on: March 02, 2017, 01:25:36 PM »
Regarding drums, Larry's work on "Iris" is some of his best work in years.

Bass line is kick ass too.. But over all not the collective bands best work in years, unfortunately.