6 (8.3%)
U218 Singles
1 (1.4%)
Best Of - 1980-1990
3 (4.2%)
Best Of - 1990-2000
1 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: First U2 Album You Bought?  (Read 3998 times)

zootv

Re: First U2 Album You Bought?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 03:18:55 PM »
I got Achtung Baby from the CBS record club. It was like 10 discs for a penny. Then you had to buy like 6 more in a year or something. Anyway, I always liked U2 but was a very casual fan. I remember listening only to the singles at first but from time to time I'd play the whole album. Each time I'd listen to it I'd discover a new song that I loved. I can remember thinking that this was one of the greatest albums I've ever heard. Every time I was in the mood to hear something unique or special, that was my go to album. Now here I am, many years later and AB is my fav record of all time and I'm a mega U2 fan. It's funny how things work out sometimes ;)

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 06:12:48 PM »
Joshua Tree.  On TAPE.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 06:16:56 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Joshua Tree.  On TAPE.

Ah yes, 1987, in the twilight zone between the popularity of vinyl and the popularity of CD's.

Offline TheU2Ken

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • To tell the truth, this could be the last time
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 06:17:56 PM »
Achtung Baby

Offline J_Rock321

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Hiiipower
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2013, 06:29:34 PM »
Does u218 count?

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2013, 06:30:55 PM »
Does u218 count?

What do you think?

Offline AJ

• Elevated
  • Vinyl Guru
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2013, 07:20:57 PM »
How about instead of the first album you "bought", the first album you obtained in any way. Added more options

Offline Albono

• Child of Grace
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2013, 08:56:17 PM »
Achtung Baby... the first item I bought, out of my first salary, from my first job back in 1991 (painting fences). 
It sure blew the hell out of me, and I haven't stopped listening to it ever since...  Mysterious Ways indeed!

Then I started collecting the 80's records.  Been a fan since UF, but I didn't buy the early albums yet mainly because they were all over the radio back then.

Offline _acrobat

• Precious Stone
  • We live inside a dream
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2013, 09:05:46 PM »
That awkward moment when you haven't bought any because your dad has every one of them, including b sides and rare albums....

I did buy Passengers this year for him (and me) for Christmas.

Hey, buy your own!

All twelve on a highschooler's budget?! Pfffff who are you kidding :P. Once I start buying vinyl eventually I'll get them all for myself.

As for the first one I heard, my dad put U218 on my ipod, which ended up being a bigger gift than the ipod itself.

Offline jenniferh aka jen

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2013, 10:19:00 PM »
AB was the first one I bought on my own. My brother gave me JT on cassette.

An Cat Dubh

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2013, 10:26:19 PM »
War.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2013, 10:33:25 PM »
That awkward moment when you haven't bought any because your dad has every one of them, including b sides and rare albums....

I did buy Passengers this year for him (and me) for Christmas.

Hey, buy your own!

All twelve on a highschooler's budget?! Pfffff who are you kidding :P. Once I start buying vinyl eventually I'll get them all for myself.

As for the first one I heard, my dad put U218 on my ipod, which ended up being a bigger gift than the ipod itself.

Yea my dad's gotten me into a lot of music, not by "showing" me the band per se, but just by always playing the albums around me, when i was little. I have very vivid memories of listening to The Wall and A Momentary Lapse of Reason with him in the late 80s. He bought Pop, i "borrowed" it and then the flood gates opened. He had Pop AND JT on cassette that i "borrowed" now that i think about it.

That's awesome that your dad even had the singles! Wow!!! What do you mean "rare albums"? Bootlegs or like the Captive soundtrack?

Offline ZooClothes

• Precious Stone
  • This is where you can reach me now.
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2013, 10:38:19 PM »
AB on cassette......it kept flipping back to side one at the intro of UV (stupid Clarion cassette deck in my car) so a lot of the album went unheard for about a month until I got it on CD.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2013, 11:00:25 PM »
The first album I bought myself was Rattle & Hum when I was in grade 9. Desire was all over the radio and in my high school that year.

Ditto.  And it was Desire that first got me into U2.

What's funny is, having bought War in '83 when I was 9 or 10, I found Desire to be uncomfortably boundary-pushing. And when R&H was released, I was scandalized over the Hammond organs and gospel choirs and BB King.

Imagine how I felt in '91 when AB came out.

Interesting. Rattle & Hum was exactly what I was looking for in a band in 1988. When I was in grade school in the early/mid 80's I was into hard rock (Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Iron Maiden, Kiss, Van Halen). I have 3 older brothers so they definitely helped define the type of music I got into when I was young. In the 87 when I went into high school a lot of the bands I liked when I was younger I wasn't into any more. They went further and further in the bubble gum power ballads and teased hair that had more hairspray in it then the girls I went to school with. So in grade 8 and 9 I started to get into some of my older brothers 60's/70's albums. The Rolling Stones Hot Rocks, Who's Next, the Doors greatest hits, and Led Zeppelin 4 and Physical Graffiti were huge for me back then. Even though the albums were 20 years old they made a big impact. When I got Rattle & Hum it felt like U2 were the only band in the late 80's who were actually competing with the great bands from the past. Rattle & Hum was completely different then everything else out at the time.

Skip forward to late '91. With Nirvana kicking all the power ballad hair bands to the curb and everyone now looking drab in plaid, U2 go totally against the grain again and kick all our asses with Achtung Baby. Bono looking like a cross between Elvis and Jim Morrison in the complete leather out fit. U2 always seemed to being going against the current, but coming out all the better for it.

The last decade, although containing some good songs, saw U2 settle very safely right into the middle of the mainstream, instead of "f*cking with it" like Bono said back in the early 90's.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2013, 12:56:15 AM »
Rattle and Hum was the first i bought myself - although it was actually UABRS that got me interested in the band.