6 (8.3%)
U218 Singles
1 (1.4%)
Best Of - 1980-1990
3 (4.2%)
Best Of - 1990-2000
1 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: First U2 Album You Bought?  (Read 3997 times)

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
Re: First U2 Album You Bought?
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2013, 05:50:37 AM »
War

Offline _acrobat

• Precious Stone
  • We live inside a dream
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2013, 08:26:52 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
That awkward moment when you haven't bought any because your dad has every one of them, including b sides and rare albums....

I did buy Passengers this year for him (and me) for Christmas.

Hey, buy your own!

All twelve on a highschooler's budget?! Pfffff who are you kidding :P. Once I start buying vinyl eventually I'll get them all for myself.

As for the first one I heard, my dad put U218 on my ipod, which ended up being a bigger gift than the ipod itself.

That's awesome that your dad even had the singles! Wow!!! What do you mean "rare albums"? Bootlegs or like the Captive soundtrack?

Rare wasn't the best word I guess, I was referring to like AB Super Deluxe, WAIA, Under Brooklyn Bridge, MRR, U22, Remastered Deluxes Boy through JT, a ton of singles, etc....

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2013, 08:42:30 AM »
I'm sure I've said this before but after getting ATYCLB as a gift (which I asked for that xmas after hearing BD), I went out in search of more U2, not knowing what the rest of the catalogue sounded like. I chose Zooropa, probably because of the cover. Just could not get into it at all, was very disappointed and took it back! Fortunately something made me try again so I gave Best Of 1980-1990 a listen in store, recognised a few songs and took it home. Never looked back after that and eventually bought Zooropa again and came to love nearly all of it.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 08:44:03 AM by kango »

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2013, 09:11:41 AM »
That awkward moment when you haven't bought any because your dad has every one of them, including b sides and rare albums....

I did buy Passengers this year for him (and me) for Christmas.

Hey, buy your own!

All twelve on a highschooler's budget?! Pfffff who are you kidding :P. Once I start buying vinyl eventually I'll get them all for myself.

As for the first one I heard, my dad put U218 on my ipod, which ended up being a bigger gift than the ipod itself.

That's awesome that your dad even had the singles! Wow!!! What do you mean "rare albums"? Bootlegs or like the Captive soundtrack?

Rare wasn't the best word I guess, I was referring to like AB Super Deluxe, WAIA, Under Brooklyn Bridge, MRR, U22, Remastered Deluxes Boy through JT, a ton of singles, etc....

oh so he's a fanclub member? how many times has he seen them tour?

Offline _acrobat

• Precious Stone
  • We live inside a dream
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2013, 09:20:06 AM »
To be honest I'm not entirely sure. I know JT tour and maybe zoo tv but I think that's it.

satellitedog01

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2013, 09:21:23 AM »
A neighbourhood girl gave me a copied cassette tape of the first half of Achtung Baby at age 12, then in '93-94 came the MTV videos I would stay up late to record on VHS, since I had no hi-fi until a year or so later.

The first U2 thing I bought might have been the Achtung Baby Interference VHS, as I remember I didn't hear the AB songs in full for years, I heard snippets of them on that VHS tape and was mesmerized by the live version ending of Mysterious Ways and the bits of Zoo Station they had on there... the first album I bought was Achtung Baby on cassette, probs in 1994, then came Zooropa (or was it the other way around?) and then I started buying the back catalogue.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2013, 09:28:56 AM »
Actually, my first U2 album was UABRS, but I don't see you listing that one here. Then i bought WAR, and a feww weeks later, the brand new Unforgettable Fire.

it was an unforgettable summer!! 1984.

smee

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2013, 11:34:48 AM »
First u2 album i sort of OWNED was Boy. My brother had it on cassette and i had claimed it as my own. I totally missed October coming out and was oblivious to it. Then War came out and I somehow managed to get myself a cassette of it. I think i finally becae awre of October around 1984 ish. my freind had it on cassette and we used to listen to it a LOT

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2013, 11:43:42 AM »
To be honest I'm not entirely sure. I know JT tour and maybe zoo tv but I think that's it.

Good. That's all he "needed" to see. The rest is icing on the cake.

Offline Allie79

• Numb
  • Mild, green and squeaky clean
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2013, 05:00:32 PM »
I bought Under A Blood Red Sky LP in 1993, when I just turned 14.
I loved it.
At the time I had a crappy pickup and even crappier speakers so when my parents were gone, I would play it downstairs on my dads sound system every chance I got. I would sing along at the top of my voice, pretending to be Bono and use things like a banana as a microphone. Good times :)

Offline Legrosbob

• Stateless
  • And you can swallow or you can spit
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2013, 08:48:37 PM »
My dad has all the albums, but I never got really interrested until I quite randomly listened to U218...

In fact, no, that is not true. According to my dad, the Pop Music remix was my favourite song when I was 2 or 3 years old. So technically, the LNOE single is my first album.  ;D

Offline Zooropean

• Wanderer
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2013, 12:54:54 AM »
War in 1983 with saved up pocket money (I was 13) :D

Offline Canadanne

• Running to Stand Still
  • The Devil has all the best tunes...
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2015, 04:19:20 PM »
My first U2 album was the Best Of 1980-1990 & B-sides, 16 years ago today! It didn't immediately change my world, but I was impressed enough to consider buying one more, "perhaps Achtung Baby" - I mentioned in my diary that I'd just won 10 on the lottery, "so I could spend it on the album!" Think the universe really was trying to nudge me in the right direction there. :) My journey to U2 fandom was a spooky one like that, a long string of weird coincidences that made everything fall into place at the right time.

Offline Kurukira

• Numb
  • Don't Expect, Suggest.
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2015, 11:57:32 PM »

The first U2 thing I bought might have been the Achtung Baby Interference VHS, as I remember I didn't hear the AB songs in full for years, I heard snippets of them on that VHS tape and was mesmerized by the live version ending of Mysterious Ways and the bits of Zoo Station they had on there... the first album I bought was Achtung Baby on cassette, probs in 1994, then came Zooropa (or was it the other way around?) and then I started buying the back catalogue.

Similar story for me, though I actually got Achtung Baby for Xmas in 1992, but Zooropa was the first U2 album I bought on my own on cassette (thanks to saving my allowance, haha).  And yes, that Interference tape meant a hell of a lot to me too, especially that Mysterious Ways snippet XD

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2015, 04:16:50 AM »
My first CD as a kid, knowing little about rock music, was Roy Orbison's "Mystery Girl" when that album was still new. A few years later, I wondered about those strange names in the booklet like Bono and The Edge but couldn't figure it out: there was no Bono solo album so his name remained a mystery. Until that afternoon in '92 when the new "The One" video came on the MTV and the announcer mentioned his name, and in the credits to the video, it said "U2" as artist name. I knew that moniker only from the publishing info of the "Mystery Girl" booklet, the song in question of course being "She's A Mystery To Me". That's when my discovery of the band came full circle. I never would have thought it was a band name but believed it was just some weird s**t songwriters always tend to make up as names for their publishing companies.

It took me another while to choose my first album of the group, though, because I lived in a rural area then, rather far away from the next big record store and until I got there, I got to know more great songs by U2.
In the end, the decision fell in favour of "Achtung Baby" over "Joshua Tree" and "Rattle & Hum", both of which I eventually got in the mid-90s, after the Passengers album even.