Author Topic: "Album Nearly Complete, Tour in 2014"  (Read 13961 times)

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
Re: "Album Nearly Complete, Tour in 2014"
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2013, 03:45:21 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Personally i would like them to go indoors and be brave enough to build a show where the new songs are the focal point like how zoo tv began - then if it is a big success and the songs are great take it outside as an evolving show later.

I'll go along with that.

As will I, and I wouldn't even care if, like ZooTV, all the older songs played were hits and warhorses.

Especially if they reinvented the hits and warhorses.

And to pull this kind of show off, the new stuff has to be great stuff.  The songs from NLOTH weren't good enough to make them the focal point of the tour, although I give credit to U2 for trying to make them so in the early stages of 360.

Offline MikeinMilwaukee

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2013, 03:34:19 PM »
Just came across this article based on an interview yesterday with Bono in Nice:

For those who don't know Spanish, Bono says that they look forward to playing in the city's new stadium next year, and that the new album is very close to being complete.

I'd really like to see U2 tour America LAST because quite frankly we aren't their best fanbase anymore.  South America, eastern Europe are more passionate and America is kind of lagging behind.  We should still be punished for not loving "Popmart" IMHO.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2013, 03:35:16 PM »
No! By the time they get to the end they always have trimmed a whole bunch of the new material. I want to hear new songs not the same old stuff ad nauseum.

Offline EdgyBaby

• Stranger in a Strange Land
  • Come on let's talk some U2
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2013, 07:48:09 PM »
A bit painful to read...'nearly complete'...
U2 never seems tho think the albums are finished so lets hope that nearly finished is whats going to be delivered to us before too long. I can't wait much longer for new U2 music

Offline Clarky

• Numb
  • I've got a head like a lit cigarette
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2013, 07:35:19 AM »
Just be happy they're still alive and making music. Savour the moment. It's not like U2 don't have other music to keep you satiated in the meantime. I'll be sad and upset when they're no longer around but definitely not when they're in the middle of albums.

Offline aurabender

• Numb
  • dressed up like a car crash
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2013, 08:04:14 PM »
the problem here is that it was Bono who said "nearly complete". Now, you and I and the rest of the band may have one typical idea of what  those two words would mean, but Bono's sense of time seems to be something out of a Douglas Adams novel. By "nearly complete" he could mean that they just need to select the cover art, OR that they have 27 rough ideas for songs that just need to be whittled down into an album, once they find another producer to give it a fresh look.

Offline goldtoad

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Don't let the bastards grind you down
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2013, 01:00:29 PM »
Just be happy they're still alive and making music. Savour the moment. It's not like U2 don't have other music to keep you satiated in the meantime. I'll be sad and upset when they're no longer around but definitely not when they're in the middle of albums.

Yes, U2 fans need to remember this.  Be grateful we still get to look forward to another U2 album and tour. 
They won't be doing this for too many more years.  It is amazing they are still together and still friends after
over 30 years. 

Do you see the recent comments in the news about the feud between Bon Jovi and his guitarist Richie Sambora
where Bon Jovi said The Edge is a irreplaceable guitarist but Sambora is not?   It was cool to see The Edge get
some respect and a reminder of how lucky we are U2 has avoided this kind of drama and have remained friends
since high school. 

Sorry, back on topic:  I think the music is done but other stuff is still in process - artwork, etc.   

Offline Fisher

• Stateless
  • Just staying out the time.
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2013, 01:26:55 PM »
The schedule, decided months ago (and reported here previously) is as follows: album "late '13", tour starting spring 2014 in US (arenas), then moving to Europe (outdoor), then back to the US (possibly outdoor). Provisional bookings of US venues were made many months ago. This is from the horses' mouths, though feel free to ridicule it.

Offline dirtdrybonesandstone

• Numb
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2013, 01:58:10 PM »
Maybe it's the "glass half-empty" in me but I get the feeling they're going to punt.

Offline edge245

• Refugee
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2013, 05:00:54 PM »

Yes, U2 fans need to remember this.  Be grateful we still get to look forward to another U2 album and tour. 
They won't be doing this for too many more years.  It is amazing they are still together and still friends after
over 30 years. 

Do you see the recent comments in the news about the feud between Bon Jovi and his guitarist Richie Sambora
where Bon Jovi said The Edge is a irreplaceable guitarist but Sambora is not?   It was cool to see The Edge get
some respect and a reminder of how lucky we are U2 has avoided this kind of drama and have remained friends
since high school. 

Sorry, back on topic:  I think the music is done but other stuff is still in process - artwork, etc.

U2 are NOT in their 80s, they are in their 50s. It would not be a surprise if they were still doing this 20 years from now. Rock n' Roll is not the Olympics or American Professional Football.

Offline edge245

• Refugee
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2013, 05:03:22 PM »
The schedule, decided months ago (and reported here previously) is as follows: album "late '13", tour starting spring 2014 in US (arenas), then moving to Europe (outdoor), then back to the US (possibly outdoor). Provisional bookings of US venues were made many months ago. This is from the horses' mouths, though feel free to ridicule it.

That's probable except for the idea that they are already making provisional bookings on US venues. That probably will not happen until after the album is released.

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2013, 02:15:23 AM »
It's actually good to hear about Bono talking about the new album, too, now, especially after he's been so unusually quiet about it for so long. I guess it was a concious decision by the band to not have Bono talk about the album as much as he used to be on previous occasions but this newsbit here actually confirms that Bono is "into" the new album, too. And that can only be a good thing.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2013, 09:16:14 AM »
It's actually good to hear about Bono talking about the new album, too, now, especially after he's been so unusually quiet about it for so long. I guess it was a concious decision by the band to not have Bono talk about the album as much as he used to be on previous occasions but this newsbit here actually confirms that Bono is "into" the new album, too. And that can only be a good thing.

of course he's going to be into it. it means nothing.

Offline Chargedvt

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2013, 04:32:13 AM »

Yeah I've never heard Bono starting a promotional cycle by saying "Yeah, it's got a few good tunes, but overall it's not very cohesive.  We could have done with a few more weeks to really finish it off".
I believe there would indeed be tentative bookings made for show in the US by now, the first shows would be 8 months from now.  I guess things will follow the usual pattern of announcing the US and European legs in January.

Offline Smithy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2013, 11:10:20 AM »

Yeah I've never heard Bono starting a promotional cycle by saying "Yeah, it's got a few good tunes, but overall it's not very cohesive.  We could have done with a few more weeks to really finish it off".
I believe there would indeed be tentative bookings made for show in the US by now, the first shows would be 8 months from now.  I guess things will follow the usual pattern of announcing the US and European legs in January.

We hope..
:-\