Author Topic: "Album Nearly Complete, Tour in 2014"  (Read 13862 times)

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
Re: "Album Nearly Complete, Tour in 2014"
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2013, 11:13:13 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It's actually good to hear about Bono talking about the new album, too, now, especially after he's been so unusually quiet about it for so long. I guess it was a concious decision by the band to not have Bono talk about the album as much as he used to be on previous occasions but this newsbit here actually confirms that Bono is "into" the new album, too. And that can only be a good thing.

of course he's going to be into it. it means nothing.

Yeah I've never heard Bono starting a promotional cycle by saying "Yeah, it's got a few good tunes, but overall it's not very cohesive.  We could have done with a few more weeks to really finish it off".
I believe there would indeed be tentative bookings made for show in the US by now, the first shows would be 8 months from now.  I guess things will follow the usual pattern of announcing the US and European legs in January.

Oh, if they're going to be on the road by this time next year, the venues they want will have at least have had dates put on hold already. Doesn't mean we're going to hear about right away.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2013, 01:38:17 PM »
Rumor of a Quebec date next summer:   You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline seashells

• Staring at the Sun
  • Let me in the sound
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2013, 08:39:56 PM »
I was in Quebec City a few years ago when Metallica was playing there - 100,000 friendly fans swarming the city.  I didn't see the show, but it would be a fun roadtrip for a U2 show.

Offline Smithy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2013, 05:35:46 AM »
Well good news is Bono was spotted riding his bike, which is about a regular occurrence as a solar eclipse.
So looks like someone is getting fit for a tour ;)

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2013, 10:46:34 AM »
Well good news is Bono was spotted riding his bike, which is about a regular occurrence as a solar eclipse.
funny, I read that as "oh no, bonos still on vacation and not working on The album

Offline bosk1

• Babyface
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2013, 11:22:49 AM »
I'm betting the music is done and when they say things like "it's almost ready" they are referring to the artwork and marketing plan. Once they have that, we'll get our announcement.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2013, 12:49:33 PM »
Anyone know if DM is booked on other projects over the next year? I'm wondering if they have aligned on a theme and have one album ready, but still have a lot of great songs left over for U2 and DM to work on over the next year as they're readying the tour, so that the second album can come out in 2014?

Probably too much to hope for at this point, but we can dream..out loud!

Offline DMiTD

• Stateless
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2013, 03:50:15 PM »
Anyone know if DM is booked on other projects over the next year? I'm wondering if they have aligned on a theme and have one album ready, but still have a lot of great songs left over for U2 and DM to work on over the next year as they're readying the tour, so that the second album can come out in 2014?

I'm not privy to his schedule in detail, but here's what is known about DM's upcoming projects:
1. Broken Bells' second record will probably be released in Q4 this year or Q1 next (more likely Q1 next) There will, presumably, be press and touring behind that record. The last Broken Bells record involved about a year, on and off, of touring.
2. The Black Keys are currently in studio. DM might be on the job at the moment, or might be called in at a later time, but is scheduled to be involved with that, but less so than with TBK's El Camino record. That record looks like it will drop in Q1 of next year too.
3. Frank Ocean is recording on and off now and will be spending some studio time with DM. There's nothing definite about when that record will come out, but I think there's so pressure to get it done while Frank's still riding high from the success of Channel Orange. DM's involvement probably won't be with the whole album, as Pharrell has already put in work on it too.
4. Electric Guest is a band that is close to DM's heart. He produced their first record and is slated to be involved with the second one, which they are recording now.
5. DM has been touted as being involved with Aretha Franklin's next record, along with Kenny "Babyface" Edmonds. I think there have been discussions but substantial work hasn't been done on it yet.

Other projects, like a third Gnarls Barkley record, a record with Black Thought from The Roots, a record with Iggy Pop, a follow-up to the Rome record...have all been floated but there haven't been any details recently, so I don't think they're active.

But, if that sounds like the plate is too full to accommodate U2, I wouldn't rule it out necessarily. 2-4 records a year is de rigeur for Danger Mouse.  :)

Offline Pocket Merlin

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2013, 05:00:46 PM »

I'm not privy to his schedule in detail, but here's what is known about DM's upcoming projects:
1. Broken Bells' second record will probably be released in Q4 this year or Q1 next (more likely Q1 next) There will, presumably, be press and touring behind that record. The last Broken Bells record involved about a year, on and off, of touring.
2. The Black Keys are currently in studio. DM might be on the job at the moment, or might be called in at a later time, but is scheduled to be involved with that, but less so than with TBK's El Camino record. That record looks like it will drop in Q1 of next year too.
3. Frank Ocean is recording on and off now and will be spending some studio time with DM. There's nothing definite about when that record will come out, but I think there's so pressure to get it done while Frank's still riding high from the success of Channel Orange. DM's involvement probably won't be with the whole album, as Pharrell has already put in work on it too.
4. Electric Guest is a band that is close to DM's heart. He produced their first record and is slated to be involved with the second one, which they are recording now.
5. DM has been touted as being involved with Aretha Franklin's next record, along with Kenny "Babyface" Edmonds. I think there have been discussions but substantial work hasn't been done on it yet.

Other projects, like a third Gnarls Barkley record, a record with Black Thought from The Roots, a record with Iggy Pop, a follow-up to the Rome record...have all been floated but there haven't been any details recently, so I don't think they're active.

But, if that sounds like the plate is too full to accommodate U2, I wouldn't rule it out necessarily. 2-4 records a year is de rigeur for Danger Mouse.  :)

Holy smokes, he's a busy guy!

Offline Nanda360

• Refugee
  • slow down child let me untie your lace
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2013, 05:24:07 PM »
wrong translation. Casi terminado in Spanish actually means no prediction lol ;D

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2013, 06:09:53 PM »
funny, I read that as "oh no, bonos still on vacation and not working on The album

I read that hoping Bono did an You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login! Hey, it worked for Achtung Baby... ;)

Hopefully Bono sang a few verses of the Queen classic, and got his falsetto back.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 10:11:55 PM by The Edges Cat »

Offline U2OnceAgain

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2013, 10:03:39 AM »
NLOTH proved that they didn't need a big selling album to fill stadiums in record numbers.  And really, I don't think Bono is hated, or even disliked all that much, plus most fans are fans of U2 and not individual members of the band.  I think the only way that U2 will play arenas is if they choose to just for a change or because they want to conceptually wed the new music to the new stage show and don't want to take the risk of another Pop/PopMart, or if stadium fatigue has set in among fans, but I reckon it won't in Europe on the next tour.

I disagree, NLOTH showed that they do need hit songs and a hit album to SELL OUT Stadiums (especially in the US). There has always beed a huge fan base but the base is shrinking year after year. The Elevation tour was sold out due to ATYCLB, which to me is a middle of the road album, and the back catalogue or U2. The Vertigo tour was sold out due to the HTDAAB album, another middle of the road album, and again the back catalogue of U2. The 360 tour was never completely sold out on any leg of the tour, though not as bad as the POP tour and only because of the back catalogue (mostly IMHO)were there butts in the seats. There were no hit songs off that album, which I like 1000 times more than the 2 previous albums but the U2 mystique right now is gone. All the hype in the world is not going to get SELL OUTS in stadiums unless some great quality hit songs are produced.
I will still see them since I have seen ever tour since WAR but maybe not 5 or 6 times each leg like I have in the past. I had so many extra tickets to the 360 tour that I couldn't even give away. No one wanted to pay the prices of the face value and even giving them to people was not easy.
I believe the US legs will start in Arenas and then if some hits are released they will play stadiums. Just my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 10:09:24 AM by U2OnceAgain »

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2013, 08:12:44 AM »
I disagree, NLOTH showed that they do need hit songs and a hit album to SELL OUT Stadiums (especially in the US).

Are you kidding me? They "sold out" every show. They're as popular as ever in S. America. Europe they've been doing stadiums for quite a while. Why in the world did you buy so many "extra tickets" you're off your rocker.

Offline U2OnceAgain

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2013, 11:37:09 AM »
I disagree, NLOTH showed that they do need hit songs and a hit album to SELL OUT Stadiums (especially in the US).

Your the one that is off your rocker. They did not sell out every show especially in the US. They didn't even come back to Boston on the 2nd leg of the tour since they didn't sell out the 2 shows they played here to start with. I have been a U2 fan for 30 years and I always got extra tickets to all the shows and brought lots of friends along. I would have people fighting for tickets since they were so hard to get, this includes Stadium shows for The Josuha Tree and Zoo TV. Also for Elevation and Veritgo tickets were hard to get. For the 360 tour shows tickets were discounted all over the place since the shows did not sell out. On a whole in the US they may have had great total attendance numbers but not SOLD OUT SHOWS, which is what I was referrring to. I even had GA tickets that I had to trhow away since you could get them online cheaper than face value. Just an FYI, I got the GA's for myself then I won an auction for the RED seats and went there instead.

I was being honest and giving my opinion. You obviously took it as I was insulting YOUR precious U2 and Bono.

Are you kidding me? They "sold out" every show. They're as popular as ever in S. America. Europe they've been doing stadiums for quite a while. Why in the world did you buy so many "extra tickets" you're off your rocker.

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2013, 01:50:55 PM »
NLOTH proved that they didn't need a big selling album to fill stadiums in record numbers.  And really, I don't think Bono is hated, or even disliked all that much, plus most fans are fans of U2 and not individual members of the band.  I think the only way that U2 will play arenas is if they choose to just for a change or because they want to conceptually wed the new music to the new stage show and don't want to take the risk of another Pop/PopMart, or if stadium fatigue has set in among fans, but I reckon it won't in Europe on the next tour.

I disagree, NLOTH showed that they do need hit songs and a hit album to SELL OUT Stadiums (especially in the US). There has always beed a huge fan base but the base is shrinking year after year. The Elevation tour was sold out due to ATYCLB, which to me is a middle of the road album, and the back catalogue or U2. The Vertigo tour was sold out due to the HTDAAB album, another middle of the road album, and again the back catalogue of U2. The 360 tour was never completely sold out on any leg of the tour, though not as bad as the POP tour and only because of the back catalogue (mostly IMHO)were there butts in the seats. There were no hit songs off that album, which I like 1000 times more than the 2 previous albums but the U2 mystique right now is gone. All the hype in the world is not going to get SELL OUTS in stadiums unless some great quality hit songs are produced.
I will still see them since I have seen ever tour since WAR but maybe not 5 or 6 times each leg like I have in the past. I had so many extra tickets to the 360 tour that I couldn't even give away. No one wanted to pay the prices of the face value and even giving them to people was not easy.
I believe the US legs will start in Arenas and then if some hits are released they will play stadiums. Just my 2 cents.
Where did the record breaking 7 million people come from then?   FYI the official billboard box scores list every show as sellouts.  U2 does not need a hit song and a hit album to sell stadiums at this point in their career and they know that, but this is exactly want they want to avoid (Selling out stadiums on the strength of their past).  That is why this album is taking forever it seems (close to 3 years now).  They want people to come  and enjoy  the show based on their  present output. 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 01:54:53 PM by boom boom »