Author Topic: "Album Nearly Complete, Tour in 2014"  (Read 13952 times)

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
Re: "Album Nearly Complete, Tour in 2014"
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2013, 02:00:46 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I disagree, NLOTH showed that they do need hit songs and a hit album to SELL OUT Stadiums (especially in the US).

Your the one that is off your rocker. They did not sell out every show especially in the US. They didn't even come back to Boston on the 2nd leg of the tour since they didn't sell out the 2 shows they played here to start with. I have been a U2 fan for 30 years and I always got extra tickets to all the shows and brought lots of friends along. I would have people fighting for tickets since they were so hard to get, this includes Stadium shows for The Josuha Tree and Zoo TV. Also for Elevation and Veritgo tickets were hard to get. For the 360 tour shows tickets were discounted all over the place since the shows did not sell out. On a whole in the US they may have had great total attendance numbers but not SOLD OUT SHOWS, which is what I was referrring to. I even had GA tickets that I had to trhow away since you could get them online cheaper than face value. Just an FYI, I got the GA's for myself then I won an auction for the RED seats and went there instead.

I was being honest and giving my opinion. You obviously took it as I was insulting YOUR precious U2 and Bono.

Are you kidding me? They "sold out" every show. They're as popular as ever in S. America. Europe they've been doing stadiums for quite a while. Why in the world did you buy so many "extra tickets" you're off your rocker.

360 was the proof that U2 do not need a hit album to fill stadiums. No Line was not the hit they expected it to be yet 360 sold more tickets then any other tour in concert history. Maybe you had problems unloading your extra tickets but U2 had no problems filling stadiums.

Where's Bethere when you need him?

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2013, 02:06:46 PM »
I disagree, NLOTH showed that they do need hit songs and a hit album to SELL OUT Stadiums (especially in the US).

Your the one that is off your rocker. They did not sell out every show especially in the US. They didn't even come back to Boston on the 2nd leg of the tour since they didn't sell out the 2 shows they played here to start with. I have been a U2 fan for 30 years and I always got extra tickets to all the shows and brought lots of friends along. I would have people fighting for tickets since they were so hard to get, this includes Stadium shows for The Josuha Tree and Zoo TV. Also for Elevation and Veritgo tickets were hard to get. For the 360 tour shows tickets were discounted all over the place since the shows did not sell out. On a whole in the US they may have had great total attendance numbers but not SOLD OUT SHOWS, which is what I was referrring to. I even had GA tickets that I had to trhow away since you could get them online cheaper than face value. Just an FYI, I got the GA's for myself then I won an auction for the RED seats and went there instead.

I was being honest and giving my opinion. You obviously took it as I was insulting YOUR precious U2 and Bono.

Are you kidding me? They "sold out" every show. They're as popular as ever in S. America. Europe they've been doing stadiums for quite a while. Why in the world did you buy so many "extra tickets" you're off your rocker.

360 was the proof that U2 do not need a hit album to fill stadiums. No Line was not the hit they expected it to be yet 360 sold more tickets then any other tour in concert history. Maybe you had problems unloading your extra tickets but U2 had no problems filling stadiums.

Play fair, So Cruel, with bethere under a ban, it's like an open goal.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2013, 02:21:49 PM »
7.2 million people, and by far the biggest tour in music history

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2013, 02:37:05 PM »

Is Bethere banned again? I thought he was back from that original one.

Every now and again there's nothing wrong with getting an open goal or an "empty netter" as we Canadian hockey fans like to say

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2013, 09:25:38 AM »

They SOLD OUT every show on the 360 tour. There is no opinion on that. FACTS ARE FACTS. I don't care about insulting U2. I'm a passionate enough fan that I don't need other people telling me how good U2 are to make me feel good about them. They are my favorite band and always will be. Regardless of what others think.

Offline Siberian Tiger

• Child of Grace
  • There is no them, there's only us
« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2013, 10:33:33 AM »

They SOLD OUT every show on the 360 tour. There is no opinion on that. FACTS ARE FACTS. I don't care about insulting U2. I'm a passionate enough fan that I don't need other people telling me how good U2 are to make me feel good about them. They are my favorite band and always will be. Regardless of what others think.

Sold out every show? Really? I was at Luzhniki stadium that holds 80,000. There were 65,000 there.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2013, 10:51:29 AM »
This is a technicality, albeit one that blurs the meaning of the term "sellout".  Sometimes concert promoters estimate demand and sell the number of tickets they think will satisfy demand rather than the number the stadium holds. Luzhniki may hold 80,000, but they only put 65,000 tickets for sale. The idea is to minimize staffing costs, city fees for police, insurance costs, etc by keeping some parts of the stadium closed. The concert sells out if all available tickets sell, not if every seat in the stadium is filled. You might think this is a cynical ploy to call the tour a sellout, but remember, if you book an arena of 20000 and 30000 want tickets, it's a sellout. If you book a stadium of 50000 and 40000 want tickets it's not a sellout, even though demand was higher than the sellout example. Therefore the term sellout doesn't mean a lot. 7,200,000 does mean a lot. That's the number of tickets sold to 360. It's an all time record. Case closed.

Offline Miami66

• Airborne Ranger
  • The goal is soul
« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2013, 05:25:24 PM »
This is a technicality, albeit one that blurs the meaning of the term "sellout".  Sometimes concert promoters estimate demand and sell the number of tickets they think will satisfy demand rather than the number the stadium holds. Luzhniki may hold 80,000, but they only put 65,000 tickets for sale. The idea is to minimize staffing costs, city fees for police, insurance costs, etc by keeping some parts of the stadium closed. The concert sells out if all available tickets sell, not if every seat in the stadium is filled. You might think this is a cynical ploy to call the tour a sellout, but remember, if you book an arena of 20000 and 30000 want tickets, it's a sellout. If you book a stadium of 50000 and 40000 want tickets it's not a sellout, even though demand was higher than the sellout example. Therefore the term sellout doesn't mean a lot. 7,200,000 does mean a lot. That's the number of tickets sold to 360. It's an all time record. Case closed.

Thanks Codeguy.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2013, 05:37:19 PM »
It isn't how big it is, it is what you do with it.....

Offline U2OnceAgain

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #69 on: August 05, 2013, 07:13:25 AM »
The shows were not sold out, end of story. There were huge numbers of tickets available. Some shows were indeed sold out but not every show especially in the US. I know for a fact the 2nd show of the Boston dates was never sold out and there were a lot of other shows in the 2nd leg that didn't sell out. Its not worth arguing about. They cannot coast on their laurels forever, sooner (now in my opinion) or later people will not flock to see them without a great album. That is the only point I am trying to make. The diehard fans like myself will still see them on tour but as for getting a lot of new fans its not happening. They are not the COOL GROUP with the younger crowd and they need a couple of hits to achieve that again.

Offline edge245

• Refugee
« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2013, 09:01:27 AM »
The shows were not sold out, end of story. There were huge numbers of tickets available. Some shows were indeed sold out but not every show especially in the US. I know for a fact the 2nd show of the Boston dates was never sold out and there were a lot of other shows in the 2nd leg that didn't sell out.

Well, you could say the same thing about the Stadium shows on the Joshua Tree Tour and the ZOO TV tour, or for that matter any stadium tour. Stadiums have very large capacities that are difficult to completely fill, especially when your playing in the round, something no one had ever done before.

They played two shows with nearly 70,000 people per show in Boston. I think each of those shows is a record for attendance at a concert in the Boston area if not all of New England. So, they did not completely sellout. So what? No one has ever played to that many people at one time in that area, let alone twice.

I think there were 85,000 at the show near Washington DC at the Redskins stadium, but that meant there were at least 10,000+ tickets still available. So what? Again its a record not just for the city, but the region.

Offline JJJX3

• Babyface
« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2013, 09:35:10 AM »
The argument here is whether the shows were "sold out". And while your comment speaks greatly to the legions of casual fans buying or being given tickets to augment the usual hardcore fan turnout, you are concurring that indeed the 360 tour wasn't sold out.

Offline U2OnceAgain

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2013, 02:06:19 PM »

Thanks Codeguy.
Or they change what a SOLD OUT show is to create urgency and hype, please don't try to tell me if they could have sold 10,000 more tickets at $250+ per ticket they wouldn't have released more tickets. It's easy to say a show is sold out when tickets are held back and released througout the lead up to the show or not on sale at all. Its all marketing. Empty seats and empty sections are hard to hide. The final number is large but averaged out is it still the higest numbers?
I can only speak for what I saw and experienced in Boston almost 5 years ago, a lot of empty seats and sections.

The only point I have been trying to make is we are now 5 years further away from any U2 hit or song getting significant airplay. Think of it kids who were 13 at the last show are now 18 and are ready to go to concerts (without their parents) are they going to a U2 show. The price of tickets is most likely going to hit close to $400.00 for the better seats. $800.00 USD for 2 casual fans to see a U2 show is not likely. $800.00 for 2 devoted fans is likely but how may of us will be able to go to multiple shows like we used to. GA is not a likely option for a lot of us in our mid 40s to early 50s. I am not standing in line for hours and then standing for another 3 hours to see a concert, I will pay the extra to have a designated seat but won't go bankrupt to do it.
We will have to wait and see what happens with the album and what happens with the tour.

Offline U2OnceAgain

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2013, 03:30:05 PM »
PS this came from Matt @U2

One of the problems on 360 is that they played stadiums in the US, which opened up tickets to an entirely different audience. Especially on the 3rd leg, it was not at all tough to get U2 tickets and there were countless shows where free tickets were being given awat on the day of the show to stadium sponsors, nearby companies, etc.

I wrote about this in some detail here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

None of which is to say they should (or will) skip the US on the next tour. Silly idea.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2013, 03:41:05 PM »
PS this came from Matt @U2

One of the problems on 360 is that they played stadiums in the US, which opened up tickets to an entirely different audience. Especially on the 3rd leg, it was not at all tough to get U2 tickets and there were countless shows where free tickets were being given awat on the day of the show to stadium sponsors, nearby companies, etc.

I wrote about this in some detail here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

None of which is to say they should (or will) skip the US on the next tour. Silly idea.

All fair points - but U2's lacklustre performances and patchy material in the 00's - does not help either.

U2 need an album that really connects in a big way - and to make those songs the centre pieces of the show, rather than a monstrosity like the claw - I personally think that they should go back indoors too.