Author Topic: "Album Nearly Complete, Tour in 2014"  (Read 13981 times)

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
Re: "Album Nearly Complete, Tour in 2014"
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2013, 02:10:19 PM »
Just announce the damn thing. It's nearly been 5 years already!

Offline MASTER YODA

• Staring at the Sun
  • Patriots 2017!!!
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2013, 04:37:54 PM »
to me it's: we're going to have it by the end of the year.

Offline Man Dreams One Day to Fly

• Wanderer
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2013, 05:10:29 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
It also depends on whether estadio means the same exact thing in Spanish that its English equivalent means to us. It's possible that it just means "venue" or something, I'm not sure. My Spanish is decent, but not fluent.

I know from my limited knowledge of Spanish basketball that they refer to arenas as 'Palacio' or 'Palau' in Catalonia. I know that's a separate language. I think if they are specifically saying 'estadio' then means stadiums such as the Camp Nou and the Vincente Calderon. I can't see them playing arenas in Europe because of the limited number of large arenas in the UK. There are only really 2 of North American-esque standard, as in NBA or NHL level capacity in the UK, the O2 Arena in London and the Manchester Arena in Manchester. I'm not sure about the NEC in Birmingham. In fact, they didn't have a date here in Scotland until the last minute during the Elevation Tour because our biggest indoor venue, the SECC, only has a capacity of something like 9,000. They had to play two dates to make it worthwhile. I guess they left it to the last minute to find out if they could fit it in. Bono's father's health could have been a factor in that to, I'm not sure if he knew his time was up when the tour was being planned.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2013, 05:17:53 PM »
I recall Edge saying several times that he never considers U2's albums to be complete but abandoned because they could work on it forever.
They have been known to be working until the very last day they possibly can until they have to give it into the record company so I would say that since the reception of this album will mean a great deal to them that will also be the case this time around and I can see them getting a tap on the shoulder when it needs to be in, nothing new for them.

It reminds me of George Lucas when he said, "Films aren't finished. They're abandoned." Thankfully U2 hasn't started a "Han shot first" riot with their work.:D
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 05:19:30 PM by Thunder Peel »

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2013, 05:22:16 PM »
It also depends on whether estadio means the same exact thing in Spanish that its English equivalent means to us. It's possible that it just means "venue" or something, I'm not sure. My Spanish is decent, but not fluent.

I know from my limited knowledge of Spanish basketball that they refer to arenas as 'Palacio' or 'Palau' in Catalonia. I know that's a separate language. I think if they are specifically saying 'estadio' then means stadiums such as the Camp Nou and the Vincente Calderon. I can't see them playing arenas in Europe because of the limited number of large arenas in the UK. There are only really 2 of North American-esque standard, as in NBA or NHL level capacity in the UK, the O2 Arena in London and the Manchester Arena in Manchester. I'm not sure about the NEC in Birmingham. In fact, they didn't have a date here in Scotland until the last minute during the Elevation Tour because our biggest indoor venue, the SECC, only has a capacity of something like 9,000. They had to play two dates to make it worthwhile. I guess they left it to the last minute to find out if they could fit it in. Bono's father's health could have been a factor in that to, I'm not sure if he knew his time was up when the tour was being planned.

Isn't that new one in Glasgow meant to be quite big and finished soon, specially built to house large shows like concerts?

The one in Birmingham holds about 15,000

I also read one in Leeds should be open soon (if not already) Springsteen supposed to be playing it.

If they used the O2 for the south, Birmingham for the Midlands and Manchester and Leeds for the North West and North East plus the new one in Scotland and the Odyssey in Belfast and the O2 in Dublin would be a great place to see them due to the design of the place then aside from Wales they would have most of the UK sorted.... Maybe throw in the Liverpool Echo which holds over 10,000 too.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 05:28:55 PM by an tha »

Offline Man Dreams One Day to Fly

• Wanderer
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2013, 05:37:09 PM »

Isn't that new one in Glasgow meant to be quite big and finished soon, specially built to house large shows like concerts?

I also read one in Leeds should be open soon (if not already) Springsteen supposed to be playing it.

If they used the O2 for the south, Birmingham for the Midlands and Manchester and Leeds for the North West and North East plus the new one in Scotland and the Odyssey in Belfast and the O2 in Dublin would be a great place to see them due to the design of the place then aside from Wales they would have most of the UK sorted....

Yes, the Hydro, it's called is meant to be finished this year and open in October, I think, with Rod Stewart but there was a fire there recently. The Odyssey has one end with no seats, I think, and the O2 in Dublin is fairly small as well. Why play to about 20,000 over two nights when you can play to 50,000 in one night?

My Dad is from Northern Ireland, so the stadium and arena situation there really annoys me. There is really nowhere for U2 to play in Belfast. They played the Botanic Gardens during the PopMart Tour but that wouldn't have been very good. Windsor Park is being improved but that's an open style stadium not suitable for concerts and besides I don't want U2 associating with Linfield ;). I can't understand why the Irish FA couldn't get together with the IRFU and Ulster Rugby to build a stadium of 30,000 to 40,000 and you could play Northern Ireland football games there, Ulster Rugby would play there and you would host the occasional rugby international. They were supposed to be building a stadium on the site of the old Maze prison but that never came to fruition. Half of Northern Ireland supports the Republic, so that's part of the problem, not that I blame them.

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2013, 07:01:36 PM »
It's "nearly complete" because no one likes Manhattan and they have to think up a new name. And add "pedantic perfectionists" into the lyrics somewhere.

Offline DKT

• Refugee
  • Don't Turn Around Again
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2013, 09:43:46 AM »
It could be just the artwork that still needs to be printed.

I think the production of the songs is done.

You know, I'm really starting to come to this frame of thought. I think they've put the album together, now they're figuring out how to package it. (Relentless optimist here.)

Offline Inishfree

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2013, 11:32:37 AM »
A bit painful to read...'nearly complete'...

I had a little trouble too.   My Spanish is rusty.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2013, 02:18:33 PM »

If they used the O2 for the south, Birmingham for the Midlands and Manchester and Leeds for the North West and North East plus the new one in Scotland and the Odyssey in Belfast and the O2 in Dublin would be a great place to see them due to the design of the place then aside from Wales they would have most of the UK sorted.... Maybe throw in the Liverpool Echo which holds over 10,000 too.

U2 will not play any arenas in the UK on the next tour.  In a 10,000 capacity arena, they won't see it as playing a gig to 10,000 fans, they'll see it as losing out on 50,000 paying punters.  And the impression I get of U2 these days is that they're not very giving to their fans.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2013, 02:44:00 PM »
Fair points, TD - although my bet would be arenas simply because i cant see the new album being a big seller. NLOTH bombed in the UK didnt really produce a hit single -  and expectation/anticipation for the band is at an all time low more or less (aside from the very early days) Bono is hated more than ever with the tax stuff being the latest stick to beat him with - and such a long period of inactivity in terms of releasing a record makes this release in my view one for the hardcore fans. If the album gains momentum due to garnering a hit single or two and is a great album they may well upgrade or throw another visit in to play stadiums. Thats my guess.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2013, 02:55:35 PM »
NLOTH proved that they didn't need a big selling album to fill stadiums in record numbers.  And really, I don't think Bono is hated, or even disliked all that much, plus most fans are fans of U2 and not individual members of the band.  I think the only way that U2 will play arenas is if they choose to just for a change or because they want to conceptually wed the new music to the new stage show and don't want to take the risk of another Pop/PopMart, or if stadium fatigue has set in among fans, but I reckon it won't in Europe on the next tour.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2013, 03:00:29 PM »
Well i suppose there are enough people happy to pay to see the hits and a heritage act - so maybe you are right. Personally i would like them to go indoors and be brave enough to build a show where the new songs are the focal point like how zoo tv began - then if it is a big success and the songs are great take it outside as an evolving show later.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2013, 03:04:32 PM »
Personally i would like them to go indoors and be brave enough to build a show where the new songs are the focal point like how zoo tv began - then if it is a big success and the songs are great take it outside as an evolving show later.

I'll go along with that.

Offline The Exile

• Up With the Sun
  • It's all ball bearings nowadays.
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2013, 03:18:11 PM »
Personally i would like them to go indoors and be brave enough to build a show where the new songs are the focal point like how zoo tv began - then if it is a big success and the songs are great take it outside as an evolving show later.

I'll go along with that.

As will I, and I wouldn't even care if, like ZooTV, all the older songs played were hits and warhorses. Strong new material and a tour that features it covers a multitude of sins.