Author Topic: New album "Best in years" says Gavin Friday.  (Read 5832 times)

Offline wik73

• Numb
New album "Best in years" says Gavin Friday.
« on: July 18, 2013, 01:02:48 PM »
Are we getting closer? Sounds like the album is finished.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
Re: New album "Best in years" says Gavin Friday.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 01:13:33 PM »
whatever. no more pre-album hype. just let the music speak for itself. hype only works against an albums release. maybe itll be good for first week sales then it will die in the second week.

Offline wik73

• Numb
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 01:22:55 PM »
I agree DS. If I'm not mistaken, Friday says that about every album. But I think this is a good indication the album is finished.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 01:24:49 PM »
I agree DS. If I'm not mistaken, Friday says that about every album. But I think this is a good indication the album is finished.

oh im 100% positive he does. point is, OBVIOUSLY they're going to play the cliched "best album yet/in years/since JT, AB!" card

Offline wik73

• Numb
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 01:33:00 PM »
I don't like that they compare it to other albums. It would be better if they just said "this is pretty crazy weird stuff but we hope you enjoy it". That would excite me. Or just shut your trap and release it and let the fans decide.

Offline Jono

• Running to Stand Still
  • Nice job by #MoteeShoe
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 01:47:58 PM »
what are the chances that the first real update/soundbite/album title/song list will be on U2.com? ;)

Offline homecoming

• Babyface
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 02:42:08 PM »
Wonder what he thought of the last few albums.

Offline imedi

• Child of Grace
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 02:59:14 PM »
bono said the edge is on fire :o

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 03:22:49 PM »
I disagree that Achtung Baby was their last exciting release (Zooropa and Pop are both more exciting to me), but I am glad to see Friday implicitly acknowledging the 00s haven't been all that breathtaking (moments of brilliance on NLOTH aside).

Offline MikeinMilwaukee

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 03:32:18 PM »

oh im 100% positive he does. point is, OBVIOUSLY they're going to play the cliched "best album yet/in years/since JT, AB!" card

"('All That You Can't Leave Behind') is quite literally a transformative album for U2.  I'm gobsmacked about some of the tunes I've heard" - Gavin Friday; August, 2000

"Some of the tracks on ('How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb') literally explode off the album.  I've never heard anything like them, although they're clearly U2" - Gavin Friday; July 2004

"It echoes of earlier U2, but at the same time sounds nothing like anything the lads have done before.  ('No Line On The Horizon') is truly an historic album, and will go into their catalogue alongside 'Joshua Tree' and 'Achtung Baby'" - Gavin Friday; 2008

Offline Izzy

• Numb
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 04:59:05 PM »

"('All That You Can't Leave Behind') is quite literally a transformative album for U2.  I'm gobsmacked about some of the tunes I've heard" - Gavin Friday; August, 2000

"Some of the tracks on ('How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb') literally explode off the album.  I've never heard anything like them, although they're clearly U2" - Gavin Friday; July 2004

"It echoes of earlier U2, but at the same time sounds nothing like anything the lads have done before.  ('No Line On The Horizon') is truly an historic album, and will go into their catalogue alongside 'Joshua Tree' and 'Achtung Baby'" - Gavin Friday; 2008

I threw the above into google translate:

"Get ready for some pleasant-sounding material!"

Offline The Unknown Caller

• Holy Joe
  • TORIIIIIINOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 05:15:35 PM »
I disagree that Achtung Baby was their last exciting release (Zooropa and Pop are both more exciting to me), but I am glad to see Friday implicitly acknowledging the 00s haven't been all that breathtaking (moments of brilliance on NLOTH aside).

I think you're overthinking this; Achtung Baby was their last mega universally loved album, so "Most exciting since Achtung Baby" is really just a "Best since that Big Album You've All heard Of" statement IMO.  See the above quotes for more.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 05:26:49 PM »
That's not entirely true. Critics adored ATYCLB and hailed it as their "third masterpiece" after Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby. It was a huge deal, and for Friday to just ignore it makes me hope that means it's going to not be the blandfest it was.

Offline Quenchable Thirst

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • It's a private show, no one else's gonna know
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 05:29:46 PM »
I don't think he was really comparing the album to AB (at least not in terms on how good it sounds). Instead, he said it's 'the most exciting release' (for whom? the fans or the band?) since AB. To me, I just think he's referring to the importance of this album, not its sound. U2 have been out of the picture for years now, and they sure must be excited to make a comeback - new decade, new sound.

I know I'm supposed to take anyone's comments on the album with a grain of salt, but I can't help getting excited. Danger Mouse is a truly great producer and Bono's voice seems to be better than in previous years. I hope I won't be disappointed when I first listen to it.

Offline ZooClothes

• Precious Stone
  • This is where you can reach me now.
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 05:32:51 PM »

Gavin, I think you might have been right about whatever the 2008 version of NLOTH was that you heard. The rest of us heard the 2009 version. Not that I'm complaining, it just wasn't the game-changer JT or AB were.