Author Topic: Will we ever hear bullet the bluesky live again?  (Read 2350 times)

Offline ZooClothes

• Precious Stone
  • This is where you can reach me now.
Re: Will we ever hear bullet the bluesky live again?
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2013, 02:05:32 PM »
I still love the funked-up POPMart version.

Offline smalin186

• Refugee
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2013, 02:42:32 PM »
I feel like, with the gun debate reaching a fever pitch in America due to the seemingly neverending amount of school/mall/movie theater shootings, as well as the Trayvon Martin verdict being inescapable, that BTBS would be more relevant now than ever.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2013, 03:45:13 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I feel like, with the gun debate reaching a fever pitch in America due to the seemingly neverending amount of school/mall/movie theater shootings, as well as the Trayvon Martin verdict being inescapable, that BTBS would be more relevant now than ever.

Seconds, One Tree Hill, Exit, Please, and Love And Peace Or Else could all do the trick, and haven't been played to death like Bullet has.

Offline Allie79

• Numb
  • Mild, green and squeaky clean
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2013, 03:45:31 PM »
Yes I'd like to see them play this song again, but I only want to hear it if Bono feels like really singing it and he sings it with passion. If not than he should leave it alone because it would only be disappointing.

Offline spanner

• Numb
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2013, 07:14:19 PM »
im not too bothered if i don't here it again ! along with bullet ,there are a few other songs i think need dropping and freshen things up for next tour.

Offline KenpoMatt

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • The first wealth is health.
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2013, 11:11:38 PM »
If they do play it again, I wouldn't mind hearing the Rattle and Hum style arrangement again. Anyone else?

hrsan

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2013, 09:10:25 AM »

Offline HisFlyness

• Babyface
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2013, 03:06:43 PM »
I still love the funked-up POPMart version.

Bullet the Blue Sky from Leeds Popmart is probably in the top 5 performances of this song of all time. I agree, there was just something more rock, more funk about the ZooTV/Popmart versions of the song that were missing from the other tours.

And I'm also going to agree with everyone who said the song should stay retired if it can't come out of it's Vertigo slump. While I understand and respect what they were trying to do, the song is a rocker, and a dirge it should not be.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2013, 04:44:55 PM »
keep it out of the set. they were right to drop it, it's worn out it's welcome. i saw it 3 times on Elevation so i'm good.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2013, 04:50:22 PM »
I think it's a great live performance when it's done right, for example Zoo TV.

I don't think that U2 should bother to look for topicality when interpreting the song.  Topicality doesn't make a song sound fresh, but it's performance does.  However put the two together and you can have a winning combination, for example U2's performance of SBS at Denver 1987.

Offline BorneOfSound

• Stateless
  • Are you tough enough to be kind?
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2013, 06:50:57 AM »
Btbs was played on every tour from 87-2005.  It was dropped for the 360 tour.  Is this song retired?

Your thoughts?

I love how it evolved over many tours to the last version on the Vertigo tour where it turned into more of a somber anger (while remaining a protest song) rather than the "Bono-is-mad-at-tv-preachers" feel of the 80s performance. My favorite version of it was in ZOO TV probably. What a show ZOO TV was. I was too young to see it in person sadly.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2013, 07:43:19 AM »
I think it's a great live performance when it's done right, for example Zoo TV.

I don't think that U2 should bother to look for topicality when interpreting the song.  Topicality doesn't make a song sound fresh, but it's performance does. However put the two together and you can have a winning combination, for example U2's performance of SBS at Denver 1987.

i was thinking Walk On from Elevation post 9/11