Author Topic: rumor: tour in arenas and different set lists  (Read 13993 times)

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
Re: rumor: tour in arenas and different set lists
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2013, 01:18:32 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Contrary to how it feels, their tours have more or less gotten continuously less predictable from Zoo TV pretty much in a linear progression through to 360. So we might see that continue.

On the other hand, that's within a very narrow spectrum (They're still VERY predictable) and I think there are really two reasons for that;
1) Since PopMart to a very very small extent and since Vertigo to a much larger extent, they tend to drop newer songs as the tour goes on, opening up space for more variability, AND
2) Over time, particularly with the success of ATYCLB and HTDAAB, their catalogue of 'hits' has grown so that they can continue to play more or less the same absolute number of 'hits' as before but can rotate exactly which ones they are. (Many don't rotate, of course but others do in a way they wouldn't have when they were relatively new and U2 had less hits anyway)

That's just a thought though; as I say, it could be taken a step further next time. But probably not much more than a step.

i agree with this. IWF, SBS, NYD, TUF, Pride, Streets, Desire, ISHFWILF, WOWY, IGC, Angel of Harlem, AIWIY, The Fly, Mysterious Ways, One, EBTTRT, Discotheque, HMTMKMKM, Beautiful Day, SIAM, Walk On, Elevation, Vertigo, COBL, Sometimes. That's 25 songs that EVERYONE will know at a U2 show. You could choose a setlist of 8 of the 25 each night, varying from night to night and not playing the same song twice in a row, along with a defined 8 songs from the new album, and 8 random songs from U2's catalogue, 4 of which are fan-picks a la bruce. Each show would be different, you would have to rehearse 37 songs and wing it on the 4 fan picks.

It would be a thing of beauty.

Oh, and 360 lite is the right idea. In-the-round in a small arena with 15,000-20,000 fans!!

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2013, 01:19:42 PM »
If people's hopes for the new tour are based mainly around set-list variation then my hopes for the next tour are somewhat different.

Setlist variation is only one thing I look forward to.

I am most looking forward to being utterly surprised - Like I was during Zoo TV, POPMart and 360.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2013, 01:29:25 PM »
If people's hopes for the new tour are based mainly around set-list variation then my hopes for the next tour are somewhat different.

My top ten requests of U2 for the next tour:

1. Bono in character. Don't do something cheesy like bring back MacPhisto, but add something by being someone else
2. Edge needs to have a lead song. He hasn't sung since POPMart. 16 years. Too long.
3. Get a GREAT intro. Bono silhouetted against the EU Flag, POP Musik/MOFO, and COBL against a cityscape are all good openings. Get a really GREAT one.
4. Leave the audience singing after the show. It's a great ending. 40 was great at this. I think "soon" might do the trick also.
5. Don't listen to the fools: Get a really GREAT light show. The Fly in Chicago was a great example of how a great light show can accentuate the music. Or Until the end of the world in Sydney.
6. Bring in someone to act out a song. Don't do something cheesy like ressurrect the bellydancer from Zoo TV, but something unique and original that adds to a song.
7. Give Adam a kick-ass base line. Maybe do Bass Trap, with ONLY Adam!!
8. Do a 'storytellers' section on the B-Stage. Get down and intimate with the audience and tell the story of a song before or during the song. Springsteens "The River" on 75-85 Live album is a great example of how to do this. Gets people thinking of you as a person, not a tax-efficient star.
9. Bring on the warm up act during the encore. Play one of their songs and one of your songs.
10. Make it interactive. Have an app for audience members to select songs to be part of the encore.

And finally....don't listen to the haters......play voiceovers from Nelson Mandela, Desmond Tutu, Bill Clinton, Bill Gates, or whomever else is doing good on this planet

Offline singnomore

• Administrator
  • Airborne Ranger
  • These city lights, they shine as silver and gold
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2013, 01:39:52 PM »
If they don't over rely on pre-determined visuals and stage choreography then I would expect more variation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • I won't pay the usual fee
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2013, 01:44:32 PM »
Do a 'storytellers' section on the B-Stage. Get down and intimate with the audience and tell the story of a song before or during the song. Springsteens "The River" on 75-85 Live album is a great example of how to do this. Gets people thinking of you as a person, not a tax-efficient star.

I liked Bono's story about the band starting out and their dads lending them money during Out of Control at Slane Castle.  In fact, it was a highlight of the show for me. 

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2013, 01:52:54 PM »
My hopes for the next tour centre mainly around - Bono focussing on his vocal delivery and less on bouncing about the stage; building a new show around a great new album, both sonically and thematically; and playing arenas again in the UK.  For me, the new album and it's sound is pivotal, as is the band's live sound.  I want to be impressed by new arrangements of old standards.

Offline spooked1oo

• Numb
  • Fourty-five lightyears from home
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2013, 01:56:56 PM »
Just needs more Pop and some new mixes of songs (I still want a dubstep mix of a Pop song).

Offline Schipper-ahoy

• Babyface
  • Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2013, 01:57:28 PM »
The only thing I wish for the next tour is that it will be announced right now! ;D ;D

Offline J_Rock321

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Hiiipower
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2013, 02:16:28 PM »
I'm thinking they could release two albums before the tour mix the new songs with POP songs or whatever you want to hear and then play some b-sides (bono and edge have been thinking about this) and after a year and a half take a break  release another album and then do it all over again.

But adam mention in a rolling stone piece that IF the album caught a certain way they might consider doing stadiums

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2013, 02:17:27 PM »
I kind of like the idea of taking requests via the Internet or Twitter or some other means, but it would have to be done before the show and not during. No one -- least of all Bono -- wants to look up and see 20,000 people using their cell phones, unless he has made his 'Milky Way' request.

REM did something like this in 2003, but with them it was wide open. I could see U2 asking fans to pick 3 or 4 from a list of 10, as someone earlier suggested.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2013, 02:20:55 PM »
I kind of like the idea of taking requests via the Internet or Twitter or some other means, but it would have to be done before the show and not during. No one -- least of all Bono -- wants to look up and see 20,000 people using their cell phones, unless he has made his 'Milky Way' request.

REM did something like this in 2003, but with them it was wide open. I could see U2 asking fans to pick 3 or 4 from a list of 10, as someone earlier suggested.

If U2 did something like that, they would give their fans a choice of two songs from which to pick one.  Beautiful Day or Elevation.

zootv

« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2013, 02:21:53 PM »
 ^ and then play the other one right after the chosen one.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2013, 02:22:09 PM »

If U2 did something like that, they would give their fans a choice of two songs from which to pick one.  Beautiful Day or Elevation.

LOL. Springsteen would give them No Surrender or Darlington County.

Offline Tumbling Dice

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2013, 02:26:01 PM »

Springsteen's and U2's choices are both difficult but for different reasons.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2013, 02:28:38 PM »

Springsteen's and U2's choices are both difficult but for different reasons.

I have been to a fair number of Springsteen shows, and I am a frequent setlist watcher. Hell, I am watching the Leeds setlist right now in another tab. He can fire off some pretty uninspired setlists with the best of them.

The act that I have seen that you truly didn't know what was about to happen next was REM. They never get credit for being a great live band, but they gave me something different every time I saw them.